•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Nexstar 6Se: 2 ‘Alignment Success”. Neither worked. At all.

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#26 fcathell

fcathell

Apollo

• Loc: Tucson, AZ

Posted 21 August 2019 - 02:48 PM

I found that SkyAlign is the only accurate way to go for the most part, and use widely spaced stars.  I had mine glitch almost every time trying to use small battery packs.  Went to a 8 Amp-hour gell-cell and no issues.   Good luck!

Frank

#27 Rainguy

Rainguy

Vostok 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Lake Oswego, Oregon

Posted 21 August 2019 - 07:46 PM

wizbang,

All of the objects I slewed to were between the alignment stars (Altair and Rasalhague), most of them in Sagittarius. 

Right, I have a 6SE. Lake Oswego is a wonderful place to live but yes, our light pollution is bad to terrible. LO is right in the middle of an broad orange zone as the Portland light dome (red) extends all the way down past Wilsonville which is about 3 miles to our south. The number of stars I can see with the naked eye is limited to Altair, Antares, Vega and the like. Rasalhague I can make out but just and Cebalrai that I like to use to line up IC4665 and NGR 6633 is mainly an in and out of visibility twinkle. Depending on how far north of Seattle you are you probably fare somewhat better.

spacefreak, what the heck, next time out I will try your method. So you intentionally blow the SkyAlign, the purpose being to merely cleanse the system prior to trying Auto Two Star? It does sound wonky, but it works for you so, yeah, I will give it a go. Thanks.

Thank you for the info, Mark. Good to know. I never try to force the mount on az, move it manually only on alt.

#28 ShaulaB

ShaulaB

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Missouri

Posted 21 August 2019 - 07:48 PM

Put fresh batteries in the mount and try again.

Or get a powertank or an appropriate alternate power source. My SE mount acts wonky when batteries are low.

#29 CharlesC

CharlesC

Gemini

• ****-
  • Loc: Atlanta, GA

Posted 21 August 2019 - 08:16 PM

"I had a fully-charged battery pack."

Don't use the internal battery pack.  It just doesn't supply enough current for any length of time and you will lose alignment quickly.

Use an external battery pack with sufficient capacity.  4-6 amp-hour battery packs will work all night.

#30 Rainguy

Rainguy

Vostok 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Lake Oswego, Oregon

Posted 23 August 2019 - 08:57 AM

I didn’t state it clearly, but I do use an external battery pack, and it’s fully charged

Edited by Rainguy, 23 August 2019 - 08:58 AM.

#31 CharlesC

CharlesC

Gemini

• ****-
  • Loc: Atlanta, GA

Posted 23 August 2019 - 09:11 AM

One post mentioned the post in connector sometimes doesn't make contact well.  The fix is to get an exacto razor knife and gently spread the post a small amount such that it makes firm contact with the cable.

Edited by CharlesC, 23 August 2019 - 12:09 PM.

#32 GoFish

GoFish

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Kentucky / Colorado

Posted 23 August 2019 - 09:24 AM

First thing to rule out is low voltage:

• Measure the output voltage from your power pack using a multimeter
  • Power the scope using an AC adapter
  • Run the scope from 8 fresh AA batteries

If problem not found, try these alignment methods:

• One star
  • Solar system (use Jupiter or Saturn)

Using each of these alignment methods, try and determine if the positioning errors are primarily in altitude or in azimuth?  If predominantly one or the other then you’ll know where to start looking for a slipping clutch (altitude) or servo motor problem or time/date/location issue. 

Next, take a photo of screens showing time, date, location settings and post it here. Maybe you are overlooking something?

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics