•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Auto guide question

accessories
  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Teddythefinger

Teddythefinger

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 August 2019 - 09:53 AM

I'm wanting to buy an auto guider setup but had a question first.
I'm going to put my scope where the finder scope would go, is this ok for auto guiding AND to use sharpcaps pole alignment? Or does the scope have to be on top of the telescope and not off to the side?
Thanks in advance!

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

#2 bobzeq25

bobzeq25

Hubble

Posted 17 August 2019 - 10:09 AM

You're missing _the_ crucial point.

A guidescope needs to be very solidly mounted to the main scope.  Flexure between the two is easy to get, and devilishly hard to diagnose.  The PhD2 graph looks fine, your stars don't.

You can't tell how much flexure you've got, the strategy is to do the best you can to avoid it.  Here are examples of how to do it.  The key thing is to have multiple mounting points that serve as triangulation. Do not use a finder shoe.

https://www.cloudyni...ardrails/page-4

Edited by bobzeq25, 17 August 2019 - 02:03 PM.

• Huangdi likes this

#3 Devonshire

Devonshire

Vostok 1

• Loc: S/W Ontario, Canada

Posted 17 August 2019 - 11:35 AM

Sharpcap should not care about whether it's on top of or beside the scope for a PA, but to BobZ's point, the guidescope has to be mounted securely, so that it cannot sag, flop, shift, move...etc.. 

You need this both for guiding and Sharpcap's PA.  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: accessories

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics