•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

112MP Lunar Mosaic

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 aeroman4907

aeroman4907

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Castle Rock, Colorado

Posted 17 August 2019 - 10:11 AM

I feel like I've approached close to my final processing methods for the moon.  I'll be putting extra effort into imaging improvements and will try to maintain better focus on all panels.  This is a mosaic of 6 panels and the imaging was starting to get a bit soft around the region including Posidoius.  I'll also see if there are refinements I can make with doing just a bit more testing with staking with AS!3.  Image sizes are limited to CN posting limits, but I have the overall image of the moon presented at about 9% of the original size and 100% resolution crops of selected areas of interest.

Be sure to click on all images to view full size...

Whole-Moon.jpg

Edited by aeroman4907, 17 August 2019 - 10:21 AM.

• zjc26138, Achernar, Kenny V. and 6 others like this

#2 aeroman4907

aeroman4907

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 August 2019 - 10:12 AM

Mare Humorum…

Mare-Humorum.jpg

• Achernar, Kenny V., Matthew Paul and 3 others like this

#3 aeroman4907

aeroman4907

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 August 2019 - 10:13 AM

Grimaldi...

Grimaldi.jpg

#4 aeroman4907

aeroman4907

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 August 2019 - 10:13 AM

Pythagoras...

Pythagoras.jpg

#5 aeroman4907

aeroman4907

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 August 2019 - 10:14 AM

And lastly, Aristarchus.

Aristarchus.jpg

• Achernar, Kenny V., RedLionNJ and 5 others like this

#6 AstroDan2015

AstroDan2015

Viking 1

• Loc: Racine, Wisconsin

Posted 17 August 2019 - 11:15 AM

Excellent "Big Gibb", so much detail...

• aeroman4907 likes this

#7 Tom Glenn

Tom Glenn

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 18 August 2019 - 01:27 AM

Nice images, Steve.  At first glance, I thought this might have been the recent waxing gibbous Moon, but then looking more closely I can see this must be a previous image, since the libration is much different.  Pythagoras was not as favorably tilted towards us this August.  The way Pythagoras is tilted in your image is a very favorable libration to view the central peaks and dramatic shadows, but unfortunately we won't always have that view, and will in fact go through a several year period in the near future in which Pythagoras will have a much less favorable viewing angle at this phase.  I couldn't help but notice your images are monochrome.  Are you still working on the color versions?  Nice job.  

• aeroman4907 likes this

#8 aeroman4907

aeroman4907

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 August 2019 - 09:00 AM

Nice images, Steve.  At first glance, I thought this might have been the recent waxing gibbous Moon, but then looking more closely I can see this must be a previous image, since the libration is much different.  Pythagoras was not as favorably tilted towards us this August.  The way Pythagoras is tilted in your image is a very favorable libration to view the central peaks and dramatic shadows, but unfortunately we won't always have that view, and will in fact go through a several year period in the near future in which Pythagoras will have a much less favorable viewing angle at this phase.  I couldn't help but notice your images are monochrome.  Are you still working on the color versions?  Nice job.  

I figured you would catch the libration difference Tom.  The image was taken on 11-20-18.  Also, do not worry, I have not abandoned the color versions.  B&W is received better in this crowd, so I was catering a bit more to those who frequent this forum.

I just went through my fourth overhaul of my image processing workflow.  While I am sure some improvements can be made, I've now addressed a number of issues that had been nagging me during prior processing efforts.  These included some Gibbs effects I wasn't pleased with using PI that was requiring manual removal in PS that was becoming tedious.  Thanks to reading about your success with Astra Image LR deconvolution, I tried that out as you know with success.  I know you mostly image in B&W, but I suspect you know the challenges of introducing color to lunar images and the pretty drastic color fringing that can occur, particularly at the higher saturation levels I employ.  I have nearly eliminated the color fringing as well and I am pleased with the results.  These are evident in the color version of images I posted below.

Here is the full color moon...  (As Darryl likes to say, please click each for the full sized image)

11-20-18-RGB-Moon.jpg

• DMach and Rustler46 like this

#9 aeroman4907

aeroman4907

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 August 2019 - 09:00 AM

Aristarchus in color...

Aristarchus-color.jpg

#10 aeroman4907

aeroman4907

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 August 2019 - 09:02 AM

Pythagoras in color.  This is a common place color fringing would become particularly bad and is pretty much eliminated.

Pythagoras-color.jpg

#11 aeroman4907

aeroman4907

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 August 2019 - 09:08 AM

And here is the region around Mare Nectaris and part of why I like to image in color.  The bottom half is in B&W.  With the fully sunlit region and lack of contrast, the B&W area becomes boring and you pretty much want to gloss over that part of the moon.  In color, there is still some interest and I find exploring these fully sunlit regions still entertaining.  When you get to the more fully illuminated lunar phases, I find the color particularly useful to keeping my interest in the entire image.  Of course this is my personal preference, but there you have it...

Mare-Nectaris2.jpg

#12 kevinbreen

kevinbreen

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Wexford, Ireland

Posted 18 August 2019 - 11:58 AM

That's fabulous Steve!

I must pick your brain some time and find out how you manage to extract colour on the moon. 

But for now, well done!!

• aeroman4907 likes this

#13 Achernar

Achernar

Voyager 1

• Loc: Mobile, Alabama, USA

Posted 18 August 2019 - 02:53 PM

If I didn't know better, I'd say you hitched a ride to lunar orbit....these images are fantastic!

Taras

• aeroman4907 likes this

#14 aeroman4907

aeroman4907

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 August 2019 - 04:10 PM

Thanks for the compliments Kevin and Taras!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics