•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Lightroom 6, DNG Converter, FITS Files

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 iflyrctoday

iflyrctoday

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: East Tennessee

Posted 17 August 2019 - 10:24 AM

Lightroom 6 will not recognize FITS files making it impossible to file my originals in Lightroom catalog.  I just downloaded Adobe DNG Converter in an effort to solve this inconvenience.  Adobe DNG Converter appears not to recognize FITS files also.

Does Adobe just dislike astrophotographers or am I missing something?  Has anyone solved this inconvenience?  I do like using Lightroom's Organizer, but when using my ZWO cameras, I cannot access these files using lightroom.

#2 SilverLitz

SilverLitz

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Louisville, KY

Posted 18 August 2019 - 06:21 AM

You can download FITS Liberator and open the FITS file and save it to TIF. 

NASA FITS Liberator is free, but I do not think FITS Liberator will batch convert.

#3 gunny01

gunny01

Surveyor 1

Posted 18 August 2019 - 07:48 AM

Do you not have programs like PI or others that allow you to work with the fits files and then convert to formats that PS and LR will work with?  Just my 2 that you might want to look at some other programs that allow you to utilize the  fits files.

Also dng converter does work for raw files like sony's even though it looks like it is not working.  Load files and let it fly.  You'll be able to see it progress as it converts files.  I have no idea if it will work with fits files and I really doubt that it does.  Adobe is not very fits friendly. 

#4 iflyrctoday

iflyrctoday

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 August 2019 - 08:47 AM

SilverLitz

Thanks.  I have been using FITS Liberator to converts files, but it does not batch process.  Takes way too much time and effort to convert a couple hundred sub.

Gunny01

Sometimes I amaze myself at how I can miss the obvious.  I never looked to see if my processing software (Nebulosity 4.1) would convert FITS files. 

GREAT SCOTT! 

There is a whole menu selection called "Batch" With a tool Called "Batch Conversion".  It converts FITS files to just about anything I would want including FITS to TIF.

I just tested it and it converted 59 FITS files to TIF in a couple minutes.

WOW!

Thanks a lot.

Karl

• gunny01 likes this

#5 gunny01

gunny01

Surveyor 1

Posted 18 August 2019 - 09:23 AM

Glad I could help Karl.  I'm not a big fan of adobe since they went the cc route. 

If you're new to astroimaging, you may want to graduate to PI or some of the other programs out there.  It will amaze you as you progress with the processing and new equipment as budget dictates.  Enjoy and good luck.

#6 iflyrctoday

iflyrctoday

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 August 2019 - 11:08 AM

Thanks again.

I agree with you about adobe and the subscription route.  I purchased Lightroom 6 just before they announced that they were dropping there support for it.  Boo!

I use the organizer (better now that I can convert FITS files) and don't want to lose all of my keywording, collections, captions, etc.  If I could find an inexpensive alternate without losing my data, I would consider changing.

The reported steep learning curve and the steep price has discouraged me from switching to PI.  Just in the last couple of days I have seen a couple tutorials that indicate that the steep learning curve might not be as steep as I thought.  (Although with my weak computer skill, it might still be too much.)  Nebulosity is easy to work and far exceeds my needs as a beginning astrophotographer.   I am sure that PI has much more processing power and someday I may upgrade to it.

Thanks Again.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics