•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Tak FC 100DZ extras?

refractor accessories
  • Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 StarAlert

StarAlert

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Claremont CA

Posted 17 August 2019 - 11:03 AM

I just ordered the Tak FC 100DZ as my first refractor and an upgrade to my 150mm Orion reflector. I have a Televue 2x 1.25” Barlow, a 9mm Nagler and a 13mm Nagler. I’m leaning towards putting it on an Sky Watcher AZ-EQ5. I’ll being using it for viewing and have no intention of doing any imaging. Just gazing. 

Any suggestions on what type of accessories I should look for to get this beauty up and running as soon as it arrives? The ETA is September so I have a couple weeks to gather all the “extras”.

• EverlastingSky, Scott99 and Disciplus55 like this

#2 Spikey131

Spikey131

Viking 1

Posted 17 August 2019 - 11:26 AM

Another mount to consider is the iOptron AZ Mount Pro.

A wide angle EP like a 24 Panoptic (1.25”) or 35 Panoptic (2”).
  • StarAlert likes this

#3 25585

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: In a valley, in the UK.

Posted 17 August 2019 - 11:33 AM

I presume it has the 2" focuser. A nice 2" prism, like a Baader BBHS, unless you have a good one already. I have a Q1.6x extender for my DL which is invisible, and allows higher magnifications without visual image degradation. 

A mount that uses a twin lock clamp I recommend. Expensive scope, don't compromise on making sure its safe. 95mm tube rings if you are not buying the kit with clamshell. 

Edited by 25585, 17 August 2019 - 11:35 AM.

#4 StarAlert

StarAlert

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 August 2019 - 12:32 PM

I presume it has the 2" focuser. A nice 2" prism, like a Baader BBHS, unless you have a good one already. I have a Q1.6x extender for my DL which is invisible, and allows higher magnifications without visual image degradation. 

A mount that uses a twin lock clamp I recommend. Expensive scope, don't compromise on making sure its safe. 95mm tube rings if you are not buying the kit with clamshell. 

It has the same focuser as the DL and DF. I presume that’s a 2”. 

The Q1.6x is a prism? Is that the same thing as a diagonal? 

Buying kit with clamshell? 

#5 StarAlert

StarAlert

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 August 2019 - 12:36 PM

Another mount to consider is the iOptron AZ Mount Pro.

A wide angle EP like a 24 Panoptic (1.25”) or 35 Panoptic (2”).

Can I “push to” with the iOptron without affecting the tracking? That’s what I like about the EQ5. 

#6 drd715

drd715

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Fort Lauderdale

Posted 17 August 2019 - 12:37 PM

A Telrad finder and a 2 inch Arcturus illuminated reticle cross hair eyepiece (CCTS) will make the goto alignment process much easier.

Abit pricey but the Polmaster polar alignment system makes easy accurate work on polar alignment. Not critical unless you are imagining, but get your polar alignment as closr as you can .

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
  • StarAlert likes this

#7 SeattleScott

SeattleScott

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 17 August 2019 - 01:30 PM

Can I “push to” with the iOptron without affecting the tracking? That’s what I like about the EQ5.

I understand the alt az Pro is really designed for GoTo, not manual operation. If you want to starhop with tracking you want an Eq Mount. EQ5 Eq, AVX, LXD75, etc. I mean, if you really just want tracking and not GoTo, Vixen SX2 or Advanced Polaris could even be options.

Not sure what the AZ/EQ does for you but at least you wouldn’t need a pier.

Scott
  • StarAlert likes this

#8 bdg

bdg

Viking 1

Posted 17 August 2019 - 02:06 PM

It has the same focuser as the DL and DF. I presume that’s a 2”. 

The Q1.6x is a prism? Is that the same thing as a diagonal? 

Buying kit with clamshell? 

Q1.6X is an extender to increase the focal length of the scope, something like a Barlow but it plugs into the scope before the focuser. I don’t think you may need it right away.

think about getting Takahashi 1.25” prism diagonal, high quality and inexpensive.

• StarAlert likes this

#9 Hesiod

Hesiod

Gemini

Posted 17 August 2019 - 02:19 PM

I just ordered the Tak FC 100DZ as my first refractor and an upgrade to my 150mm Orion reflector. I have a Televue 2x 1.25” Barlow, a 9mm Nagler and a 13mm Nagler. I’m leaning towards putting it on an Sky Watcher AZ-EQ5. I’ll being using it for viewing and have no intention of doing any imaging. Just gazing. 

Any suggestions on what type of accessories I should look for to get this beauty up and running as soon as it arrives? The ETA is September so I have a couple weeks to gather all the “extras”.

A top class 2" stardiagonal.

If plan to use a manual mount, a red dot finderscope would be also very useful

#10 John Huntley

John Huntley

Vanguard

• Loc: South West England

Posted 17 August 2019 - 02:28 PM

.... I have a Q1.6x extender for my DL which is invisible, and allows higher magnifications without visual image degradation. 

It does not increase the capability of the scope to handle higher magnifications though does it ?. It means that you can get higher magnfications with longer focal length eyepieces which suit your particular need for long eye relief.

I'm just trying to get this clear because for most owners of these scopes a 1.6x extender is by no means an essential accessory The way you have phrased this implies that these scopes are not capable of handling high magnifications in their native state without image degradation which the extender somehow "cures".  This is simply not the case as far as I'm aware.

How about the 3-4 tube rings and dual losmandy bars to hold the scope "safely" instead of that flimsy Tak tube clamp ? - I would think you might have recommended those as well as thats the way that you choose to do it ? grin.gif

Edited by John Huntley, 17 August 2019 - 02:41 PM.

#11 StarAlert

StarAlert

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 August 2019 - 03:32 PM

A top class 2" stardiagonal.

If plan to use a manual mount, a red dot finderscope would be also very useful

Any recommendations on a specific top-class diagonal? 

#12 bdg

bdg

Viking 1

Posted 17 August 2019 - 03:35 PM

Any recommendations on a specific top-class diagonal? 

Mirrors:

Baader BBHS  

AP maxbright

Vernonscope silver

TV ever bright

• Tyson M and StarAlert like this

#13 Hesiod

Hesiod

Gemini

Posted 17 August 2019 - 03:58 PM

AP and Baader BBHS mirrors would be my first choices (which one, it would depend by availability)

• StarAlert likes this

#14 jay.i

jay.i

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Minneapolis, MN

Posted 17 August 2019 - 07:01 PM

I'd also recommend a mirror. The Astro-Physics MaxBright is fantastic and can be had around $250 used. The Baader BBHS Sitall diagonal is $500 but has a clicklock on it. I think the MaxBright is almost if not just as good. I have both and have noticed almost no difference whatsoever. Only a tiny bit more color saturation with the BBHS diagonal, the tiniest bit. I highly recommend the MaxBright.

• samovu and StarAlert like this

#15 25585

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 19 August 2019 - 03:22 PM

It does not increase the capability of the scope to handle higher magnifications though does it ?. It means that you can get higher magnfications with longer focal length eyepieces which suit your particular need for long eye relief.

I'm just trying to get this clear because for most owners of these scopes a 1.6x extender is by no means an essential accessory The way you have phrased this implies that these scopes are not capable of handling high magnifications in their native state without image degradation which the extender somehow "cures".  This is simply not the case as far as I'm aware.

How about the 3-4 tube rings and dual losmandy bars to hold the scope "safely" instead of that flimsy Tak tube clamp ? - I would think you might have recommended those as well as thats the way that you choose to do it ? grin.gif

Er no... ". I have a Q1.6x extender for my DL which is invisible, and allows higher magnifications without visual image degradation."

I meant allows higher magnifications for a given eyepiece, by 1.6x, and there is no image degradation noticable from the combined optics, when the extender is used. 

Yes I use 3 holding rings on my Taks, and a 4th as a counter-balancer if needed. I will not have the funds to buy replacements, now I am on a 50% salary pension. So belt & braces securings! OK?  

#16 BGazing

BGazing

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Belgrade, Serbia

Posted 19 August 2019 - 04:12 PM

BBHS mirror

some quality EPs in shorter focal lengths. 

ZWO ADC for observing planets this year and the next, plus some barlow for ADC.

Basic heating strip plus controller, unless you live in arid climate or observe very short periods.

• StarAlert likes this

#17 Kunama

Kunama

Aussie at large

• Loc: Australia

Posted 20 August 2019 - 12:51 AM

Er no... ". I have a Q1.6x extender for my DL which is invisible, and allows higher magnifications without visual image degradation."

I meant allows higher magnifications for a given eyepiece, by 1.6x, and there is no image degradation noticable from the combined optics, when the extender is used. 

Yes I use 3 holding rings on my Taks, and a 4th as a counter-balancer if needed. I will not have the funds to buy replacements, now I am on a 50% salary pension. So belt & braces securings! OK?  

What John was saying was that the use of an extender does not make the scope itself capable of higher magnifications.  I don't use extenders, I prefer to get the magnifications  from eyepieces, less glass between me the sky...

• John Huntley likes this

#18 25585

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 20 August 2019 - 08:53 AM

What John was saying was that the use of an extender does not make the scope itself capable of higher magnifications.  I don't use extenders, I prefer to get the magnifications  from eyepieces, less glass between me the sky...

bangbang.gif shrug.gif sigh2.gif

All Taks can go beyond their theoretical aperture higher magnification. The extender makes F9 a F14.4, so it can. The extender makes no difference optically, to my eyes, from the scope's native 900mm FL. It might even improve field flatness and I know it gets reasonable performance from any eyepiece in my Smaugian hoard.

Comparing my 100mm F9 Sky Watcher with even the excellent Nikon 1.6x Barlow, the Tak Q, using same eyepieces, gives me a whole 2nd telescope. Only time it comes off is for maximum widefield, and to fit tge DL OTA in its case.

I bought the Tak ED 1.5x for my TSA120, its first accessory, before even rings & bar, knowing how good Tak extenders are.

#19 Scott99

Scott99

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: New England

Posted 20 August 2019 - 01:17 PM

you'll need some kind of star diagonal, might as well get a 2-inch now.  If your lowest-power, widest field eyepiece is the 13mm Nagler that is the glaring deficiency to me - apo refractors excel at low-power, wide field views.  I would try to get a 2-inch eyepiece with the maximum possible FOV, so you can squeeze in the big DSO's like M31, Veil, etc.  

You don't have to start with the uber-premium diagonals & eps IMO...the views will be good with anything and you can always upgrade later.  At f/8, almost any eyepiece design will work well.

Personally I would look for a less-glass type eyepiece than the Naglers for high-power planetary - I used 200x the most with my FS102.  I think I was using a Tak LE 5mm and Tak HI-ortho (now TOE) for 4mm.  Or you could get some nice longer orthos & use your barlow to get 200x.

• bdg and StarAlert like this

#20 EverlastingSky

EverlastingSky

Viking 1

• Loc: Vancouver Canada

Posted 20 August 2019 - 01:37 PM

I love it when someone starts off with refractors the right way! cool.gif  waytogo.gif

• samovu, bdg, BGazing and 2 others like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: refractor, accessories

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics