•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

A late galactic duo - M81/82 (with Ha) from orange zone

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Destin1701

Destin1701

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Boston area, MA

Posted 17 August 2019 - 04:21 PM

This was one of the longer processing efforts I've had. Wanted to bring out the starburst flows of M82 and try to pick up some IFN from my backyard orange zone. I gave up on the IFN - had it in the data but not nearly enough to do it any justice - but I'm happy with the Ha in both galaxies given the constraints. I haven't revisited these targets since I first started imaging several years ago.

This is just under 24 hours integration time:

Stellarvue 105

Atlas mount (belt mod)

QSI6120-wsg8

details on ABin

Thanks for looking - C&C always welcome, 

Destin

get.jpg?insecure

• Gregory, dmdouglass, psandelle and 7 others like this

#2 jaraxx

jaraxx

Ranger 4

Posted 17 August 2019 - 05:51 PM

I know nothing of astrophotography. Nothing, nada, zip. Don't know how hard it is to process or what it takes to record, so my opinion doesn't count for much (if anything, tho I would say in my defense that I'm not blind, so it might be possible to be even more unqualified than I).

But from a very uninformed person, Thanks! That's a very nice image!

• Destin1701 likes this

#3 astronate

astronate

Sputnik

Posted 19 August 2019 - 07:58 AM

Great image. Amazing colors. That is a lot of imaging time but it paid off.

What technique did you use to blend in the Ha?

-Nathan

#4 Destin1701

Destin1701

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 August 2019 - 09:02 AM

I know nothing of astrophotography. Nothing, nada, zip. Don't know how hard it is to process or what it takes to record, so my opinion doesn't count for much (if anything, tho I would say in my defense that I'm not blind, so it might be possible to be even more unqualified than I).

But from a very uninformed person, Thanks! That's a very nice image!

LOL!  Thanks!

Destin

#5 Destin1701

Destin1701

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 August 2019 - 09:06 AM

Great image. Amazing colors. That is a lot of imaging time but it paid off.

What technique did you use to blend in the Ha?

-Nathan

Hi Nathan, 

I'm doing most of my post-processing with PS.  I extract the red channel from the RGB stack and then use layers to blend the Ha into the red.  Sometimes a "lighten" blending mode works well, otherwise I use "screen" and then drop the levels back down as this makes everything brighter.  When adjusting levels, I replace the combined red channel into the RGB stack, select only the red channel, and then view the RGB stack (eyeball) so that I can see the effect of adjusting red levels on the entire picture.  

Hope this makes sense!

Destin

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics