•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

testing sensor on new DSLR camera

dslr
  • Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#26 Jim Waters

Jim Waters

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Phoenix, AZ USA

Posted 18 August 2019 - 11:53 AM

If you take a single astro image turn LENR on.  If you take multiple images and plan to stack them turn LENR off - also take DARKS and BIAS.

Forget about the Hot, Cold and stuck pixels..............!

EDIT - for astro images that you plan to stack always shoot RAW.

Edited by Jim Waters, 18 August 2019 - 11:54 AM.

#27 Nicole Sharp

Nicole Sharp

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Cumberland, Maryland, USA

Posted 18 August 2019 - 12:17 PM

It looks like automatic noise correction with standard correction (instead of high correction) at ISO 400 for 2 minutes removed the stuck pixels but still shows a few hot pixels.  Presumably high noise correction would show even less hot pixels.  But the stuck pixels are gone, which is good.  The T-ring and combination Barlow/T-adapter just arrived in the mail, so the next step is to find out if it will focus in a 2*500/114 Newtonian.  Still haven't even tried the kit lens yet but need to attempt some Solar imaging while the sky is clear.

Right now, just trying to make sure everything works before I take the time to finish reading the manual, customize camera settings, and actually try to do anything productive with it.  Am trying as hard as I can to keep the shutter count low too, since I want to be using this in 2024 for the total Solar eclipse.

Edited by Nicole Sharp, 18 August 2019 - 12:21 PM.

#28 kathyastro

kathyastro

Viking 1

• Loc: Nova Scotia

Posted 18 August 2019 - 01:05 PM

I would say that your camera's performance is very good.  I had to do two very extreme stretches to see any noise and the hot pixels.  That means their levels are very low.  They are not 'hot', they are just 'warm'.

You will have no difficulty controlling them with darks.  I wish that my first astro DSLR had had such clean performance!

A stuck/hot pixel strong enough to worry about would be much brighter than that.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: dslr

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics