•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Meade ETX 80 Lenses

accessories beginner Meade eyepieces equipment observing
  • Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Rhy052

Rhy052

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 August 2019 - 08:20 PM

Hello!

I just purchased a Meade ETX80 Observer, but the lenses that come with it do not work. I don’t exactly know how to use them, the instructions aren’t very good at explaining how to do that, and they are super blurry when I try to look through them. I have tried thrice, and got the same result every time. I will try again tonight, but what should I do for them to not be blurry? (The lenses are the 1.25” Super Ploss (9.7mm & 26mm) Eyepieces)

Thanks!
-Rhy052

#2 JGass

JGass

Viking 1

• Loc: MD

Posted 17 August 2019 - 08:46 PM

Start with the 25mm eyepiece.  Are you using the internal flip diagonal mirror?  If you use the lack port, instead, you will

need to use an accessory star diagonal to reach focus.

#3 S.Boerner

S.Boerner

Apollo

• Loc: Chesterfield, MO

Posted 17 August 2019 - 08:47 PM

Look down the eyepiece tube to make sure the flip mirror is in the correct position to let you see out the scope.  Always tart with the longer focal length eyepiece (26mm) and put it in the telescope.  Point the scope towards something at least 1/8th a mile away.  Turn the focusing knob clockwise or counterclockwise and the front of the scope should move either in or out.  Turning one direction (CW or CCW) should improve the focus while the other should make it worse.

Make note of the approximate focus position with each eyepiece to save some time later.

#4 sg6

sg6

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Norfolk, UK.

Posted 18 August 2019 - 08:02 AM

Try the 25mm first. Then during the day (easier) aim scope at something you cannot miss.- big building is good, reasonably distant. Then adjust the focus until that appears sharp/clear.

This is really to determine that the focus mechanism operates, as one potemtial problem is the screw thread bit can come out and so turning the aluminium knob has no effect.

Also it can take several turns to see any change in focus, half a turn accomplishes almost nothing, 5 full turns more significant.

Then out at night with the same focus position and same eyepiece.

You can do a quick simple align - point North (Polaris) and level tube. Enter your date and time - have you set your location as a custom one.

Do a 2 star align, but if not too bothered just say Yes to each slew. Good practise to center and acknowledge each however. Then ask it to go to the moon - if up. Then center the moon manually and adjust focus.

With a 25mm and a 400mm OTA you get 16x and 3 degree field.

One trick is take the eyepiece out and look down through the end of the diagonal, when the moon is in your view put the eyepiece back in.

For information I find I use an 8mm and 12mm and 25mm in my scope the most - ETX70. Pleiades in a 12mm and 8mm is good.

#5 Sky Muse

Sky Muse

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Mid-South, U.S.

Posted 20 August 2019 - 05:40 PM

If you got the kit used, then that internal flip-mirror diagonal is likely out of whack.  It can be adjusted or repaired, if you're up to that; a bit of DIY.  If not, then you'll need a star-diagonal to insert into the camera-port at the very back of the telescope...

https://agenaastro.c...r-diagonal.html

Going back over your first thread, many sound ideas were submitted for a telescope.  I see that you favoured the go-to aspect in the end.

#6 aeajr

aeajr

Voyager 1

• Loc: Long Island, New York, USA

Posted 22 August 2019 - 09:38 PM

I have the ETX80 observer and the stock eyepieces work fine.  In fact they are pretty good eyepieces.  I have used them in my other scopes. 

What are you trying to view?  Have you tried to use them during the day?

Do you know how to use the focuser?  This is a fine adjustment focuser so you may have to turn it many times to get the image into focus, but once you have it in the correct range you will only have to make small adjustments.

Do you have the flop Barlow in or out?   Take it out initally.  There is a big focus change when the flip barlow is in and you will have to turn the focuser a lot to go from barlow in to barlow out.

How to use an eyepiece.

The ETX 80 had a star diagonal that accepts eyepieces from the top, 90 degrees to the direction the front of the scope is pointing.  

Do this during the day the first time.

You back out the screw a bit and remove the dust cap from the focuser.

Remove the front lens cover

place the 26 mm eyepiece in the focuser and then just snug the screw that holds it in.

Point the scope at your target, something far away like a distant tree or a house.  

Rotate the focuser knob (on the right side) in one direction till the image comes into focus.  If you get all the way to the lock and it is not focus then you need to go the other way.   

While you are trying to find the inital focus you will likely have to turn the focus knob through many turns.  This is a slow speed fine focus device so you turn it many times to move things a little.

The front lens will be moving in and out as you turn the wheel. That is how this scope works.

If you can't get the scope to focus, here are some possible issues.

• You dont have the eyepiece full into the diagonal
  • You are trying to focus on something that is too close.  At least 100 feet away

As you turn the focusers observe whether the front lens is moving.  It should.  That is how this scope works.

If you continue to have problems, call Meade support.

#7 aeajr

aeajr

Voyager 1

• Loc: Long Island, New York, USA

Posted 22 August 2019 - 10:32 PM

I presume this scope is new.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: accessories, beginner, Meade, eyepieces, equipment, observing

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics