•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Very strange Celestron CGX issue

Celestron mount equipment
  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 _AstroPhil

_AstroPhil

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Sydney, AU

Posted 17 August 2019 - 09:01 PM

Hi there,

About a month ago I purchased a Celestron CGX mount. I haven't had a chance to use until a few nights ago and I noticed a very strange issue that I cannot figure out.

When the RA axis is horizontal and the telescope pointing towards the zenith, the RA axis continuously drifts/moves clockwise. To know exactly what I mean, see this video that I recorded of the stars on my computer screen: https://www.youtube....h?v=eqydYbcxJVY

This turning of the RA always happens in the following scenarions:

• When the mount is off with no power connected
  • When the mount is on with power connected
  • With the RA and DEC clutches engaged
  • East or West heavy balancing
  • Neither East or West heavy balancing

I have no idea what is going or how this is possible when the mount is properly balance and with the clutches engaged or with the mount off, how does the RA axis continue to significantly move? If anyone has any experience with a similar issue or some things I can try it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Phil

#2 stryker66

stryker66

Vostok 1

Posted 17 August 2019 - 10:28 PM

Earth rotates so when mount is off it is normal. When it is on, the tracking is still off. Seems logical to me. Until it says CGX ready then the tracking starts.. I hope you're not a flat earth believer :D

Edited by stryker66, 17 August 2019 - 10:31 PM.

#3 _AstroPhil

_AstroPhil

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 August 2019 - 05:03 AM

Earth rotates so when mount is off it is normal. When it is on, the tracking is still off. Seems logical to me. Until it says CGX ready then the tracking starts.. I hope you're not a flat earth believer laugh.gif

Not sure why this didn't cross my mind...god I make stupid mistakes sometimes confused1.gif bawling.gif

• mclewis1 likes this

#4 skaiser

skaiser

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: dallas Texas

Posted 18 August 2019 - 07:15 AM

Don’t feel bad. We all make basic mistakes, even after years of use.

like, oops, forgot to correct time, lens cover is on, etc..

remember, your scope has different tracking rates.( page 19 of user manual)

Be sure to read through the manual, 

starting on page 10 Is basics of use.

If you do a search on this forum for cgx, you will find a wealth of information.

, it is also a good idea to become familiar with using the update software known as CFM.

after you read up on “ updating “ , at some point you should probably try it since your mount probably has basic revisions of factory software.

Be happy, you have a very nice mount , and a lot to learn for all it’s capabilities.

• _AstroPhil likes this

#5 _AstroPhil

_AstroPhil

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 August 2019 - 07:08 PM

Don’t feel bad. We all make basic mistakes, even after years of use.

like, oops, forgot to correct time, lens cover is on, etc..

remember, your scope has different tracking rates.( page 19 of user manual)

Be sure to read through the manual, 

starting on page 10 Is basics of use.

If you do a search on this forum for cgx, you will find a wealth of information.

, it is also a good idea to become familiar with using the update software known as CFM.

after you read up on “ updating “ , at some point you should probably try it since your mount probably has basic revisions of factory software.

Be happy, you have a very nice mount , and a lot to learn for all it’s capabilities.

Thank you for the encouraging words, really need it after a blunder like that flowerred.gif

And a thanks to stryker66 as well for point out the mistake to me!

#6 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• Loc: New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 19 August 2019 - 08:30 AM

The club for those who have made basic mistakes has a long and distinguished membership (speaking as a charter member grin.gif ). For new members the line is also long, very active ... and forms to the left every night.

... and we have very little time for those few who claim to never have made any.

• _AstroPhil likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Celestron, mount, equipment

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics