•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Early 50th Anniversary Questars?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 agmoonsolns

agmoonsolns

Surveyor 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Washington

Posted 17 August 2019 - 10:38 PM

Of the first 10 to 25 of the 50th Anniversary Questars made/sold (in terms of their serial numbers), who still has theirs? Many years ago Jim at Questar advised me to order early because the first ten would be special (even more special than the 50thAQ specialness) and I never forgave myself for not placing an order right there on the spot.

Later I read that most if not all of the first 10 (and many of the first 25) 50th Anniversary Questars made had changed hands since first being sold. The reason stated was that some owners had passed away, some had simply lost interest in having a Questar, some lost interest in the hobby all together, and it was hypothesized some were sold due to expense and people decided to sell them to spend the money on something else. Then there's the whole quality control debate.

While I don't eagle-eye the classifieds for Questars like many here, I have noticed a not insignificant number of 50thAQs being sold since they were first made and it has made me really curious. Also, I have heard there were quality control issues from Marty over at Company Seven. All of this just doesn't seem right to me and if they're just rumors like I hypothesize, I would really like to bring them out into the open so they can be put to rest. 

So, I have to ask, do you have or have you had in the past, an early (one of the first 25 made) 50th Anniversary Questars? Are you the original owner? Did you buy new or used? Did you experience any quality control issues or was is it absolutely perfect when first received? Have you needed to return it to Questar to have things fixed? What needed to be fixed or serviced? Did you have one and then sell it? Do you have one now, but plan on selling it now or later? Can you share the reason why you decided to sell it? I realize some of these are kind of personal questions. If you just want to reply by private message, that's fine by me. Also, if you don't want to list your serial number publicly, maybe you could just let us know if it was one of the first 10, first 25, or one made after that?

My ulterior motive for doing this is I have an opportunity to buy a very early 50thAQ and even though it's a great price for something which still looks mint/like brand new, I am going over old posts, etc. researching things and some of these factors are making me pause. Yes, I already have one, but this is so cool. Surely some of you understand? At any rate, since this group is full of some of the finest Questar experts on the planet, I thought it would be smart to ask all of you wonderful people about these things to find out what your thoughts are on the matter.

Edited by agmoonsolns, 17 August 2019 - 10:40 PM.

#2 ehallspqr

ehallspqr

Messenger

• Loc: Port Townsend, WA. USA

Posted 20 August 2019 - 10:52 PM

I have never owned the 50th special edition so can’t personally attest to issues you mention. I’ve owned a couple standard Questars purchased used and have handled many more over the years. I’ve never seen a bad example optically or mechanically,  that wasn’t owner abuse or neglect. I’ve also never read anything but praise from owners of the 50th specials and glowing comparisons to the standards optics which are themselves superior. It’s allot of money on the line regardless, so I understand your concerns. At the same time you may be over thinking this a bit. People in this hobby are prone to jump from telescope to telescope, always looking for that unicorn. Equipment junkies we are. I see many high end telescopes flipped and flipped again. There is probably nothing wrong with these telescopes other than the desire of the owner to get something new, better or perhaps cheaper.

You can get this Questar inspected by the factory at your expense. It’s a fairly late model so I wouldn’t expect anything with regards to degraded optics or mechanical problems. They will clean and service the scope even polish it at your request. It will come back just like new and with a full report on its condition. Questar’s generally hold up very well both optically and mechanically. See if the seller would agree to an inspection period. Questar’s customer service is second to none.

Perhaps some 50th anniversary owners will chime in on any specific issues experienced with these. There have been threads on this forum discussing the 50th.

• agmoonsolns likes this

#3 Optics Patent

Optics Patent

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Dallas TX

Posted 21 August 2019 - 12:23 PM

Mine's #59.  #2 was listed on Astromart in 2010 without photos.  #6 was listed in 2001, also without photos.  #1, 4, 6, and 19 are noted in the Yahoo list.

I can't imagine what could give one pause at a well-priced 50th.  These little comments about quality control are few and rare (nobody's perfect but the rarity of complaints is a great testimonial), and there's no reason to suspect that the one you're looking at is a lemon.

As far as price, if it's complete and in fine condition, anything under $5000 is a good deal.

• agmoonsolns likes this

#4 agmoonsolns

agmoonsolns

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 21 August 2019 - 05:30 PM

Thanks guys, I am buying it. BTW, it came from the factory with a non-functional drive and was only used a few times because of quality control issues (other than the drive, I am not sure what those are). I am hoping Questar will fix the drive since they shipped it out that way. I'll have it serviced and they can fix whatever needs fixing. It looks like new to me, but I am taking a wait and see approach. I can return it for a full refund if I find anything else terribly wrong with it. 

#5 agmoonsolns

agmoonsolns

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 21 August 2019 - 05:38 PM

Ben, Did Mike sell his SN#1? I know Stew sold his SN#2 which really surprised me.

#6 Optics Patent

Optics Patent

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Dallas TX

Posted 21 August 2019 - 10:55 PM

I don’t have that info.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics