•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Help me pick my next televue eyepiece update

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 sipster

sipster

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Pa. U.S.A

Posted 18 August 2019 - 01:04 AM

Hello folks. For those of you that viewed and responded, I have decided to add to the high power end of my line up and purchase a 3mm delight. I discovered on a clear night that I actually  could get 200x out of my tv85 when viewing Saturn by using my 2x powermate  with the 6 mm radian and was really surprised. I think for the 256 dollar cost, it's  a practical  addition for me. I think next uncle Sam time I would be thinking about the 21 ethos. I thought about filling the gap between the high powers and the 13 ethos  with maybe a 8 ethos or delos, or maybe 9mm nagler, but I think I should experiment more with the 19mm Panoptic and the 2x powermate  for one example. As always, I welcome your thoughts.

Marty

• 25585 likes this

#2 clivemilne

clivemilne

Mariner 2

• Loc: West Oz

Posted 18 August 2019 - 01:53 AM

8mm Ethos would be my pick (In a heartbeat), 8mm Delos would be a close second.

Edited by clivemilne, 18 August 2019 - 04:27 AM.

• sipster and ianatcn like this

#3 25585

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: In a valley, in the UK.

Posted 18 August 2019 - 03:03 AM

Hello folks. For those of you that viewed and responded, I have decided to add to the high power end of my line up and purchase a 3mm delight. I discovered on a clear night that I actually  could get 200x out of my tv85 when viewing Saturn by using my 2x powermate  with the 6 mm radian and was really surprised. I think for the 256 dollar cost, it's  a practical  addition for me. I think next uncle Sam time I would be thinking about the 21 ethos. I thought about filling the gap between the high powers and the 13 ethos  with maybe a 8 ethos or delos, or maybe 9mm nagler, but I think I should experiment more with the 19mm Panoptic and the 2x powermate  for one example. As always, I welcome your thoughts.

Marty

Both good ideas! Delites are a great higher power range. Experimenting with Barlows is often money-saving and lets you assess how often a particular magnification is useful.

• ianatcn likes this

#4 junomike

junomike

Hubble

• Moderators
  • Loc: Ontario

Posted 18 August 2019 - 06:31 AM

Another vote for the 8E.  Amazing eyepiece IMO

• Kutno likes this

#5 SeattleScott

SeattleScott

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 18 August 2019 - 09:08 AM

My thinking is the TV85 is fairly low power. You are looking at a 1 deg FOV with the 8 Delos or 1.2 degrees with a 9 Nagler. How often do you need to go wider at those magnifications? The Ethos would be great for framing the double cluster at 75x but do you want to pay twice as much for the extra AFOV that will rarely be useful? Oh, and the Ethos will be much bigger and heavier if that matters for balance, etc.

Personally if I was going to go Ethos with your scope, it would be at high power to make tracking planets easier at higher magnification (unless you have a tracking mount). The 3.7SX maybe? But you just got a 3mm Delite so forget that.

Scott

#6 caronb

caronb

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Toronto, Ontario

Posted 18 August 2019 - 10:50 AM

I have the Ethos 8 and the Ethos 4.7 for my TV85 and like them both very much.  As was noted earlier, something like the Double Cluster is a perfect fit for the 8mm.   I find that for planets, the E8 + a 2.5X Powermate (188X) is about maximum on most nights.  I have a 3mm Radian that I picked up on sale however it's usually too much magnification for planets but great for splitting doubles.

BTW, the 2 Ethos and a Panoptic 35 are all quite heavy however I have not had any balance problems.  

• sipster likes this

#7 sipster

sipster

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 August 2019 - 08:19 PM

My thinking is the TV85 is fairly low power. You are looking at a 1 deg FOV with the 8 Delos or 1.2 degrees with a 9 Nagler. How often do you need to go wider at those magnifications? The Ethos would be great for framing the double cluster at 75x but do you want to pay twice as much for the extra AFOV that will rarely be useful? Oh, and the Ethos will be much bigger and heavier if that matters for balance, etc.

Personally if I was going to go Ethos with your scope, it would be at high power to make tracking planets easier at higher magnification (unless you have a tracking mount). The 3.7SX maybe? But you just got a 3mm Delite so forget that.

Scott

I have a 3.7 Ethos. The 3mm delight is to get a little more power on clear nights for planets. 3.7 is sweet and gives me 168x. Delight will give me 200x.

#8 sipster

sipster

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 August 2019 - 08:28 PM

I have the Ethos 8 and the Ethos 4.7 for my TV85 and like them both very much.  As was noted earlier, something like the Double Cluster is a perfect fit for the 8mm.   I find that for planets, the E8 + a 2.5X Powermate (188X) is about maximum on most nights.  I have a 3mm Radian that I picked up on sale however it's usually too much magnification for planets but great for splitting doubles.

BTW, the 2 Ethos and a Panoptic 35 are all quite heavy however I have not had any balance problems.  

I have no balance issues either. I may even get a 21E for it. I have powermated  the 35mm pan and the 13 Ethos  no problem with my tv85.

• 25585 and caronb like this

#9 sipster

sipster

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 August 2019 - 08:57 PM

Btw.. what targets do you use the 8 ethos  on with your tv85? Nebulas? Glob clusters ?  I'm curious.

#10 SeattleScott

SeattleScott

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 20 August 2019 - 08:31 AM

An 8mm Delos or 9mm Nagler will frame any nebula or glob in your scope except Veil, and Veil won’t fit in an 8 Ethos either. The reasons to get the Ethos are for a very few large open clusters like double cluster, or just because you like having all that extra space for the spacewalk effect. Sure the Ethos is better, but is it worth twice as much? Your call.

Now if you have other longer FL scopes that can use the 8 Ethos, that changes the equation a bit.

Scott

Edited by SeattleScott, 20 August 2019 - 08:33 AM.

#11 caronb

caronb

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 20 August 2019 - 09:16 AM

Btw.. what targets do you use the 8 ethos  on with your tv85? Nebulas? Glob clusters ?  I'm curious.

Living in a city with a Bortle 9 sky, I'm pretty limited to what's visible, so mostly clusters & double stars.  I know it's overkill to have some of these eyepieces but if cost is not an issue, why not?  I'm about 2 hours away from a really dark sky and plan to get there once the bugs ease off a bit. 

• sipster likes this

#12 Starman1

Starman1

Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 20 August 2019 - 01:07 PM

Marty

The 3mm Delite is a superb double star eyepiece in my 4" Apo.

But, note that the true field is small.  If your scope tracks, no problem.

If your scope doesn't track--be aware of the small true field, because you'll do a lot of scope movement.

#13 sipster

sipster

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 August 2019 - 09:30 PM

If your scope doesn't track--be aware of the small true field, because you'll do a lot of scope movement.

Yes, but that's ok. I don't  mind manual  tracking. I have slow motion  control on my mount.

#14 caronb

caronb

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 26 August 2019 - 08:29 AM

I have a 3mm Radian with a TFOV something like .3 for my TV85 and agree with what you say.  I used it this morning on the Trapezium and it was both hands on the slow motion controls the entire time.  However it gets me in there nicely.

Edited by caronb, 26 August 2019 - 05:39 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics