•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Optolong e-enhance dual narrow band filter.

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Angel baby

Angel baby

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 August 2019 - 04:01 AM

I hope someone can advise me please. I am looking to purchase one of the above filters to use on my unmoded Canon 600d, which is colour, and also with my Pointgrey Grasshopper IMX174 camera, which is mono, all of the reviews I have read mention only colour cameras but NOT mono. Can I use this filter with a mono and get better results than I get now?  My scope is an Explore Scientific ed80apo on an AVX mount. Please help.

#2 AhBok

AhBok

Vanguard

• Loc: Lakeland, TN

Posted 18 August 2019 - 10:17 PM

The filter is really not meant for mono. It's passband is too wide. It is designed for color cameras. The Ha is recorded by pixels behind the red filters of the bayer matrix and the OIII is recorded by the blue and green filters of the bayer matrix. With a mono sensor, there is no bayer matrix to discriminate between Ha and OIII letting in too wide a spectrum to efficiently record the narrowband light.

As to whether or not it can give better results for a mono that not having one, I cannot comment, but I would personally rather have just a decent OIII filter for a mono cam than the multiband filter just based on specs. I do have an Optolong L-eNhance filter BTW, but for use with my OSC. 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics