•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Celestron Axiom LX

Celestron eyepieces
  • Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 25585

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter
  • Loc: In a valley, in the UK.

Posted 18 August 2019 - 06:44 AM

I only have 2 Celestron eyepieces, 35 Ultima & 22 Ultima LX, both long discontinued under the Celestron name.

Another older Celestron range, with older archived CN threads, is the Axiom LX range. These sell for high prices pre-owned or new-old stock.

Does anyone own or has in the past? What are the 20mm & longer FL models like for eye comfort & relief, how do they perform at F5?

Have their optics been used in other brand? 

#2 Taosmath

Taosmath

Viking 1

Posted 18 August 2019 - 09:13 AM

I have the Axiom 23mm & 31mm. I have used them in my 3 Dobs ( F6, F5 & F4.5) and found them perfectly acceptable in all 3.

I found the Axiom 31 noticeably better than the Luminos 31 for edge of field brightening and the 23mm Axiom a little better than its Luminos counterpart.

I don't observe using glasses so I can't comment on that, but I haven't found eye relief a problem in either one.

Since it's possible that your sensitivity to various optical defects is different form mine, I can't say how you would find them, though my observations are generally in line with other views posted here.

• 25585 likes this

#3 jack45

jack45

Gemini

• Loc: Lacey WA

Posted 18 August 2019 - 11:28 AM

I still have the 23mm Axiom LX, looking to buy the 31mm Axiom. Shouldn't have sold it in the first place. Excellent ER for both, and for me good with or without a  coma corrector. Used with Discovery scope 12.5,F5/16"4.5 and 12" Orion dob.

• 25585 likes this

#4 Usquebae

Usquebae

Viking 1

• Loc: 43° N, 73° W

Posted 19 August 2019 - 01:02 PM

I still have the 23mm Axiom LX, looking to buy the 31mm Axiom. Shouldn't have sold it in the first place.

As the current owner of Jack's 31 Axiom I strongly disagree with the above.  cool.gif  I'll make sure its return to Jack is prescribed in my will.

I decloaked the 31 and set a fixed eye guard into it that makes it very comfortable for observing without glasses.  I can't say for sure whether I ever tried it with glasses, but IIRC it's on the borderline of okay to just passable and so I decided to just set mine up for use without glasses.  I have a 35 Pan in this range for use with four eyes.

The 31 Axiom gets most use for me in 120ST.  I happily used the combo native for some time; now I have a flattener (TSFLAT2) that seems to help the outer field, though I don't think I've dialed in the ideal distance yet.  The 31 Axiom is also my lowest-power choice when using 8" F/6 without a coma corrector.  The scope's outer field is compromised a bit in both of these arrangements, so I can't say for sure just how sharp the EP is to its edge.  Seems excellent to me, but best test would be with Paracorr.  I have tended to use the 35 Pan in my dobs with Paracorr.

I also have the 15 Axiom Lx and have found the outer field exceptionally sharp in all scopes, including the 120 F/5.  Eye relief seems similar to T6, around 12mm maybe.  I decloaked and added an eye guard that makes it also quite comfortable for observing without glasses.

• 25585 likes this

#5 Starman1

Starman1

Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 19 August 2019 - 05:55 PM

I only have 2 Celestron eyepieces, 35 Ultima & 22 Ultima LX, both long discontinued under the Celestron name.

Another older Celestron range, with older archived CN threads, is the Axiom LX range. These sell for high prices pre-owned or new-old stock.

Does anyone own or has in the past? What are the 20mm & longer FL models like for eye comfort & relief, how do they perform at F5?

Have their optics been used in other brand? 

Go to the Seach function on CN

Type Axiom LX into the "Find Words" field

Choose "Search Title and Content" under MATCH

Choose "EYEPIECES" under "Find in Forum"

I find 85 complete threads discussing Axiom LX eyepieces.

When you pick each thread, all the posts containing the words "Axiom LX" are highlighted.

You can read every comment anyone on CN has made.

And if you want more, go back into Search and change Search in "Live Content" to "Archives"

You have got some reading to do.

• John Huntley, oldphysics and 25585 like this

#6 John Huntley

John Huntley

Vanguard

• Loc: South West England

Posted 20 August 2019 - 05:51 PM

Don's advice is good smile.gif

Meanwhile, I had one of the older Japanese made Celestron Axiom 23mms (as per the photo below) for a while a couple of years back. I was a bit disappointed with it to be honest with you. In my F/6.5 Vixen refractor I could see quite a bit of edge field astigmatism and also I thought the eye relief rather tight. The latter was probably around 10mm-12mm which for a 23mm wide field is tight be todays standards.

Attached Thumbnails

• ax23.jpg

Edited by John Huntley, 20 August 2019 - 05:53 PM.

• 25585 likes this

#7 25585

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 28 August 2019 - 08:53 PM

Well I have now got a 31mm. In fully cloaked form its eye relief is just OK without glasses, much too short with, though the eye saucer is as much to blame but Celestron's claimed 22mm is overstated.

Increasing its eye distance helps as it's a design that recesses the eye lens by moving the barrel up while it's armour jacket stays down. Therefore extending eye distance, creates more space between saucer and face.

I was disappointed in the Axm. LX's short eye relief, its eye lens being nearer barrel top than an ES82 30mm. Perhaps such focal length and AFOV are only going to give short eye relief no matter what design. I presume the 30mm Meade UWA will be the same.

Both with and without glasses, moving my head provided no SAEP kidney beans effect. Exit pupil was easy. Both features I appreciate. Without glasses, ironically, was an enjoyable viewing, the FOV can be seen by moving my eye but not head. With glasses I lost 10% FOV at a rough guess and was less comfortable.

So keep or sell? Too expensive to only use occasionally, my APM UFF and Panoptic 35 can rest easy. I learned that my TV Genesis focuser is strong..... Saw a 31 Axm LX on ebay US for a high price, unsure what to ask for mine as new old stock, or what it's ranking is compared to Luminos, T5, ES82 & others - little out there except a few comments comparing favourably with the Nagler.                     

#8 Starman1

Starman1

Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 29 August 2019 - 01:34 PM

Maybe de-cloak it and use a simple stretch-on rubber eyeguard like the poster in #4 did.

That might increase the usable eye relief.

• 25585 likes this

#9 Dave Bush

Dave Bush

Vanguard

Posted 29 August 2019 - 01:54 PM

Well I have now got a 31mm. In fully cloaked form its eye relief is just OK without glasses, much too short with, though the eye saucer is as much to blame but Celestron's claimed 22mm is overstated.

Increasing its eye distance helps as it's a design that recesses the eye lens by moving the barrel up while it's armour jacket stays down. Therefore extending eye distance, creates more space between saucer and face.

I was disappointed in the Axm. LX's short eye relief, its eye lens being nearer barrel top than an ES82 30mm. Perhaps such focal length and AFOV are only going to give short eye relief no matter what design. I presume the 30mm Meade UWA will be the same.

Both with and without glasses, moving my head provided no SAEP kidney beans effect. Exit pupil was easy. Both features I appreciate. Without glasses, ironically, was an enjoyable viewing, the FOV can be seen by moving my eye but not head. With glasses I lost 10% FOV at a rough guess and was less comfortable.

So keep or sell? Too expensive to only use occasionally, my APM UFF and Panoptic 35 can rest easy. I learned that my TV Genesis focuser is strong..... Saw a 31 Axm LX on ebay US for a high price, unsure what to ask for mine as new old stock, or what it's ranking is compared to Luminos, T5, ES82 & others - little out there except a few comments comparing favourably with the Nagler.                     

As I had said in a different post on these Axiom XLs, the eye relief, for those who choose not to observe with glasses, is dependent on how deeply set your eyes are in your skull.  Mine are pretty normal so I find that with their eye lens being nearly flush with the housing, they have more relief than the ES82 and Nagler. 

• 25585 likes this

#10 25585

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 29 August 2019 - 03:06 PM

Maybe de-cloak it and use a simple stretch-on rubber eyeguard like the poster in #4 did.

That might increase the usable eye relief.

If I decide to keep it I will.

#11 25585

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 29 August 2019 - 03:17 PM

As I had said in a different post on these Axiom XLs, the eye relief, for those who choose not to observe with glasses, is dependent on how deeply set your eyes are in your skull.  Mine are pretty normal so I find that with their eye lens being nearly flush with the housing, they have more relief than the ES82 and Nagler. 

This is why I bought the "T-X". And the advertised eye relief.

My eyes have sunk into my head with age gramps.gif Wearing glasses, adds vertex distance between eyeball and eye lens.  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Celestron, eyepieces

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics