•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

NINA, Adding To Dark Library Sequence

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OrionSword

OrionSword

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Colorado

Posted 18 August 2019 - 11:13 AM

I see no setting in NINA where you can resume adding to your dark frames at a later session to begin with a new frame number instead of overwriting your previous.  For instance,  I have dark frames numbering 1-20, I want to add another 20 starting at frame#21, if you are starting a new session the progress bar is reset to zero and I do not see a setting to set it to 21.  The same thing would apply to adding lights, I am not interested in filling up my file names with time/date stamps when frame numbers suffice.  SGP has a provision for this.

Anyone else know the workaround?

Thanks.

#2 jerahian

jerahian

Viking 1

• Loc: Maine

Posted 18 August 2019 - 12:51 PM

The word is there are a great many changes coming to NINA sequencer module in an upcoming release.  For the time being, I workaround its few shortcomings by editing the XML file for your sequence.

So, in your case, if you have 20 frames already completed, but now want to add 20 more with the frame count going from 21 to 40, then all you have to do is as follows:

1) Update the "Total #" column value to 40

2) Save your sequence target to a known location

3) Open your saved sequence XML file in your favorite editor

4) Find your appropriate line item as grouped by the <CaptureSequence> tags.

5) Within that group, find the <ProgressExposureCount> and update the value to 20 (since you already have 20 frames)

Remember, every time you save your sequence, NINA does not overwrite your previous file but simply increments the sequence XML filename with a "(n)" suffix, where n is the number of saves already made (e.g. Target(2).xml), so make sure you are editing the latest one if you do this manual edit.

BTW, this is my current workaround also for setting the Gain, Offset, and Filter without having the camera or EFW connected.

GL&CS,

Ara

• kingjamez, OrionSword and sbradley07 like this

#3 OrionSword

OrionSword

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 August 2019 - 01:00 PM

The word is there are a great many changes coming to NINA sequencer module in an upcoming release.  For the time being, I workaround its few shortcomings by editing the XML file for your sequence.

So, in your case, if you have 20 frames already completed, but now want to add 20 more with the frame count going from 21 to 40, then all you have to do is as follows:

1) Update the "Total #" column value to 40

2) Save your sequence target to a known location

3) Open your saved sequence XML file in your favorite editor

4) Find your appropriate line item as grouped by the <CaptureSequence> tags.

5) Within that group, find the <ProgressExposureCount> and update the value to 20 (since you already have 20 frames)

Remember, every time you save your sequence, NINA does not overwrite your previous file but simply increments the sequence XML filename with a "(n)" suffix, where n is the number of saves already made (e.g. Target(2).xml), so make sure you are editing the latest one if you do this manual edit.

BTW, this is my current workaround also for setting the Gain, Offset, and Filter without having the camera or EFW connected.

GL&CS,

Ara

Thanks Ara, sounds like a plan.

#4 richorn

richorn

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Rancho Palos Verdes. CA

Posted 18 August 2019 - 01:09 PM

What I did was add the date to the image name for now. 

• OrionSword likes this

#5 OrionSword

OrionSword

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 August 2019 - 06:47 AM

What I did was add the date to the image name for now. 

That sounds good too.  I have always been in a habit to keep my file names short that I missed trying that.  Hate to read real long file names with my eyes at this age.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics