•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Doubles in a Binoviewer

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Oscar56

Oscar56

Apollo

• topic starter
  • Loc: Summerland, BC

Posted 18 August 2019 - 12:54 PM

I was surprised that when I searched this forum that this topic did not pop up in the topic titles.

This summer I have been going through a review of my EP and scope combinations. For mono I have Settled 35 Pan, 24 Pan and my XW series.

Now I am working on my bino EPs. I will definitely be keeping my pair of 24 Pans for widefield. I have a pair Baader III zooms to test again tonight.

I had been frustrated with the zooms because I was trying to use my binos for all objects including faint DSOs. But I have conceded that I would prefer to use mono on faint DSOs. I like the extra light capture that comes to one eye.

That will leave me with using binos for lunar, planetary and brighter DSOs. But what about doubles? It seems a natural that a bino with the zoom would be a great match for doubles. Except for seeing the double in its context of neighbouring stars, a wide field is not really necessary, but responding to changing seeing could be achieved with the zooms.

My question?: are you using your binos for doubles? Do you use single focal length EPs or zooms?

#2 R Botero

R Botero

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Kent, England

Posted 19 August 2019 - 12:31 AM

The use of zooms has been previously discussed in this forum. I use the Baaders for most of my double star observations. Typically stick to one position but if seeing allows, change setting and try more magnification. I use them in a Mark V Baader binoviewer and behind a 10” f/20 Mak.
Roberto

#3 Ed D

Ed D

Aurora

• Loc: Sunny South Florida

Posted 19 August 2019 - 05:12 AM

I tried observing doubles with my BV but wasn't impressed.  I did not see any advantage in the views.  YMMV.

Ed D

#4 H79GKT

H79GKT

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Houston, TX

Posted 20 August 2019 - 11:05 AM

I use BV for doubles. Mostly with zooms due to convenience. (Vixen NLV clickstop zoom)

Images with zooms are good enough for me, not that bad at all compared to fixed focal length EPs.

I also use Pan, ES, RKE etc but almost always end up with zooms.

Ability to change the magnification quickly (especially on doubles) without changing EPs makes my observing so easy and I can simply focus on the objects.

Andy

#5 Oscar56

Oscar56

Apollo

• topic starter
  • Loc: Summerland, BC

Posted 20 August 2019 - 11:33 AM

I tested the zooms again two nights ago.  Now I remember why I had set my zooms aside when using the binos.  I found the zooms cumbersome and not very comfortable in the binos, although I am fine with them in mono.

One of my zooms will now be dedicated to my spotting scope while the second zoom i will continue testing in mono.

Now I will be looking for a pair of EPs to compliment my 24Pans.  I have a pair of GSO 15mm super plossols to test, primarily testing if the focal length is appropriate with my Earthwin.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics