This is my first post and I come seeking information. I recently acquired a Coulter Odyssey Compact 10.1 Dobsonian (Brown tube) (pictures attached) and have some questions about it. I am an astronomy newbie so please forgive my ignorance.
This was my father's telescope until he passed away in 2005. He purchased it brand new in 1985-86 in order to observe Halley's comet. Other than the tel-rad finder I believe everything on it is stock. He used it and kept it maintained until he passed and since then it has been stored with a dust cover over the tube opening and in a humidity-controlled basement. The focuser is a little dusty and needs to be cleaned. It feels like it's still lubricated and moves smoothly. I removed the dust cover and the mirror looks to be in good shape. I cannot notice any noticeable dust. I still need to check the reflector mirror for any dust, spider webs, etc. It has the following eye pieces with it. All have been stored in their boxes since my father last used it except for the one sitting in the focuser:
*The one currently sitting in the focuser
*Meade Research-Grade 20mm Wide-Angle (1 1/4")
*Meade #127:2x-3x Variable Telenegative Amplifier (1 1/4" O.D.) Multi-coated
* Parfocal Zoom Eyepiece 8.4mm - 21mm ( I am unsure of the manufacturer - no brand/company listed on the box )
- From reading other CN posts about Coulter Odssey's the brown tubes are a more limited edition/rare (??). If so, what features sets them apart ?
- Any other maintenance suggestions besides dusting off and cleaning the focuser and checking the upper/focusing mirror ?
- How involved is collimation with this telescope ?
- Reading other reviews on CN about Coulter Odysseys they say they are great for DSO's (they are light buckets) but the optics for planetary viewing aren't the greatest. One of my first viewing goals is to observe the Armstrong/Aldrin/Collins lunar craters and the approximate location of the Apollo 11 landing site. Can I do that with this telescope and they eyepieces that I have ? If not, what upgrades would need to be made on it in order to do that ?
Thanks for any information and suggestions that can be provided !