•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Coulter Odyssey Compact (Brown Tube) questions

equipment
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 brph3600

brph3600

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 August 2019 - 05:11 PM

Greetings CN, 

This is my first post and I come seeking information.  I recently acquired a Coulter Odyssey Compact 10.1 Dobsonian (Brown tube)            (pictures attached) and have some questions about it.  I am an astronomy newbie so please forgive my ignorance.

This was my father's telescope until he passed away in 2005.  He purchased it brand new in 1985-86 in order to observe Halley's comet. Other than the tel-rad finder I believe everything on it is stock.  He used it and kept it maintained until he passed and since then it has been stored with a dust cover over the tube opening and in a humidity-controlled basement. The focuser is a little dusty and needs to be cleaned.  It feels like it's still lubricated and moves smoothly.   I removed the dust cover and the mirror looks to be in good shape.  I cannot notice any noticeable dust.  I still need to check the reflector mirror for any dust, spider webs, etc.   It has the following eye pieces with it. All have been stored in their boxes since my father last used it except for the one sitting in the focuser:

*The one currently sitting in the focuser

*Meade Research-Grade 20mm Wide-Angle (1 1/4")

*Plossl 10mm 

*Meade #127:2x-3x Variable Telenegative Amplifier (1 1/4" O.D.)  Multi-coated

* Parfocal Zoom Eyepiece 8.4mm - 21mm  ( I am unsure of the manufacturer - no brand/company listed on the box )

My questions:

-  From reading other CN posts about Coulter Odssey's the brown tubes are a more limited edition/rare (??).  If so, what features sets them apart ?

-   Any other maintenance suggestions besides dusting off and cleaning the focuser and checking the upper/focusing mirror ? 

- How involved is collimation with this telescope ? 

-  Reading other reviews on CN about Coulter Odysseys they say they are great for DSO's (they are light buckets) but the optics for planetary viewing aren't the greatest.  One of my first viewing goals is to observe the Armstrong/Aldrin/Collins lunar craters and the approximate location of the Apollo 11 landing site.  Can I do that with this telescope and they eyepieces that I have ?  If not, what upgrades would need to be made on it in order to do that ?  

Thanks for any information and suggestions that can be provided !

image1.jpeg focuser.jpeg Meade 20mm EP.jpeg Meade Variable Telenegative.jpeg Plossl 10mm.jpeg Parfocal Zoom.jpeg

Attached Thumbnails

• Parfocal Zoom(2).jpeg

#2 vernonda

vernonda

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Yukon, Ok.

Posted 18 August 2019 - 07:04 PM

The zoom eyepiece is a Celestron brand, manufactured in Japan. I have 2 like it and they date from the early 90's- and are not made anymore.  They are quite decent zoom eyepieces.  I can't answer you other questions about this particular telescope and will leave that up to others.

Edited by vernonda, 18 August 2019 - 07:08 PM.

#3 Pinbout

Pinbout

ISS

Posted 18 August 2019 - 07:30 PM

Looks like a very nice set.

if you want to start using it, id get a inexpensive green laser. You can shoot thru the eyepiece and where it points, that will be in the eyepiece.

https://rover.ebay.c...tm/152904428090

as far as high mag to see crisp views of the moon... that can be iffy with coulters. Not that they are horrible, typically they’re just not up to that type of horsepower needed.

You can still do what you want... just be mindful of pushing the magnification, that’s tricky even on high end optics cause you have to take care of temp changes. Boundary layers of warm air on the surface of the primary...

hope this becomes a fun a fun hobby for you 

waytogo.gif  smile.gif 

#4 NinePlanets

NinePlanets

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: High and Dry

Posted 18 August 2019 - 08:47 PM

That 20mm Meade R.G. is a gem. Keep it!  :)

#5 ByronC

ByronC

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: north of Knoxville, TN

Posted 20 August 2019 - 05:26 AM

If you don't have the manual for your Coulter Odyssey here's one online:

sites.google.com/site/coulterodyssey/manual

Collimation / adjustment instruction page here:

sites.google.com/site/coulterodyssey/manual-page-9

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: equipment

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics