•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Neptune 2019.08.14 (from Pic du Midi)

planet
  • Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Marc Delcroix

Marc Delcroix

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: France

Posted 18 August 2019 - 05:13 PM

Dears,

Under acceptable conditions.At least one north spot is visible (which turns around with the planet during acquisition). South pole, warming up, is bright (it's end of boreal winter).

n2019-08-14_01-33-42_ir680_pic.jpg

n2019-08-14_01-12-00_ir680-anim_pic.gif

More to come on Uranus, Saturn and Jupiter that night.

Steady skies,

Marc

Edited by Marc Delcroix, 18 August 2019 - 05:28 PM.

• Jeffrey C., Rouzbeh, sfugardi and 16 others like this

#2 stargazer60

stargazer60

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: South Texas

Posted 18 August 2019 - 05:22 PM

Nice image, what size scope did you use to take the image?waytogo.gif 

#3 Marc Delcroix

Marc Delcroix

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 August 2019 - 05:33 PM

... it's a 106.
Centimeters ;)

• Rouzbeh and Joe1950 like this

#4 Rouzbeh

Rouzbeh

Messenger

• -----

Posted 20 August 2019 - 05:13 PM

Pic du midi, beautiful.

I'm hoping to get a smaller version of that monster next year.

#5 Marc Delcroix

Marc Delcroix

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 August 2019 - 09:39 AM

45cm is not so small ;) I have a 32cm (Newtonian) for my backyard …

• Rouzbeh likes this

#6 Rouzbeh

Rouzbeh

Messenger

• -----

Posted 22 August 2019 - 04:24 PM

The 45cm won't be ready for several more Months. Currently using the C14 (36cm). Some nights when its calm it gets good details with the 290m.
  • Joe1950 likes this

#7 Vinny1980

Vinny1980

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Aversa, Italy

Posted 23 August 2019 - 01:46 AM

I m waiting for a 12" Classical Cassegrain too, expected to arrive in some months. The first thing I thought, after the down payment was: "wow, Im getting a smaller version of the Pic du Midi telescope".

Edited by Vinny1980, 23 August 2019 - 01:49 AM.

• Rouzbeh likes this

#8 Marc Delcroix

Marc Delcroix

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 August 2019 - 03:24 AM

Indeed the cassegrain configuration is known for being good for planets observing ...

• Joe1950 likes this

#9 Richard Whalen

Richard Whalen

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Florida

Posted 23 August 2019 - 10:33 AM

I was observing Neptune last night visually at 500x. Tiny blue ball. Saw hints of white on one end, thought it was distortion. Maybe not?

#10 Rouzbeh

Rouzbeh

Messenger

• -----

Posted 23 August 2019 - 11:01 AM

I m waiting for a 12" Classical Cassegrain too, expected to arrive in some months. The first thing I thought, after the down payment was: "wow, Im getting a smaller version of the Pic du Midi telescope".

#11 Rouzbeh

Rouzbeh

Messenger

• -----

Posted 23 August 2019 - 11:05 AM

I'm assuming its the cff300. They did say those are coming first. Hopefully the one Im waiting for will be after.

Will be F15.5, I believe Pic Du Midi is F17.5.

Although, atmosphere is key. I tried the 1m Chiliscope on a less than average night and the c14 with a very good night I feel is sharper.

#12 rehling

rehling

Messenger

Posted 23 August 2019 - 08:45 PM

Great pictures! Thank you so much. This is so helpful in interpreting what I have imaged with my lesser instrument. smile.gif

#13 wargrafix

wargrafix

Skylab

• -----
  • Loc: Trinidad

Posted 23 August 2019 - 08:49 PM

I'm assuming its the cff300. They did say those are coming first. Hopefully the one Im waiting for will be after.

Although, atmosphere is key. I tried the 1m Chiliscope on a less than average night and the c14 with a very good night I feel is sharper.

You are very right. Seeing, not death, is the great equalizer

#14 Vinny1980

Vinny1980

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 23 August 2019 - 11:32 PM

Yes Rouzbeh, mine it's the 300 mm f/20.

Don't wanna go too much OT- anyway about Chilescope I agree, I attach a Saturn pic I got with it  in July. Seeing was not bad even if judged not sufficient by Damian, so I got my session refunded.

Chilescope obtained nice results but after careful comparing with well-known best results from Pic 42" you will easily see the winner, at least until now.

Attached Thumbnails

• RGB finale.jpg

• Rouzbeh and Joe1950 like this

#15 Rouzbeh

Rouzbeh

Messenger

• -----

Posted 24 August 2019 - 10:09 AM

Yes Rouzbeh, mine it's the 300 mm f/20.

Don't wanna go too much OT- anyway about Chilescope I agree, I attach a Saturn pic I got with it  in July. Seeing was not bad even if judged not sufficient by Damian, so I got my session refunded.

Chilescope obtained nice results but after careful comparing with well-known best results from Pic 42" you will easily see the winner, at least until now.

Vencenzo, nice image.

Hope its not hijacking this thread but on the topic of 1m scopes. I feel (not sure) the Pic Du Midi is more optimized for planetary. The Chiliscope was F/8 native x2 barlow (I remember), also that 50% secondary probably isn't ideal.

The image I got with the 1m RC a few months back wasn't as good as I hoped. Seeing was below average my capture parameters maybe not the best? 

Here is an example Saturn with the C14 from our garden, 42 degrees altitude but transparency was poor. Seeing was the best I'd seen in months.

In general, when calm and a fully optimized small scope can get comparable results to a 1m under average conditions! 

The C14 has had some surgery and I've tried whatever I could to get max resolution from it. Hopefully the coming 45cm Cassegrain will out perform the 35cm SCT :)

Attached Thumbnails

• 2019-07-25-1905_6-R100-RGB-LRGB tu2 take2.jpg

• happylimpet and Joe1950 like this

#16 Marc Delcroix

Marc Delcroix

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 August 2019 - 11:17 AM

I was observing Neptune last night visually at 500x. Tiny blue ball. Saw hints of white on one end, thought it was distortion. Maybe not?

I never saw anything at 1000x with the 1m. But I am not a visual observer. Maybe one thing you could have seen is the south polar area brighter than the rest of the planet ?

#17 Marc Delcroix

Marc Delcroix

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 August 2019 - 11:31 AM

> Hope its not hijacking this thread but on the topic of 1m scopes. I feel (not sure) the Pic Du Midi is more optimized for planetary. The Chiliscope was F/8 native x2 barlow (I remember), also that 50% secondary probably isn't ideal.

That discussion is related to the telescope used for those images, so I'm fine with this interesting exchanges.
That 1m telescope at Pic du Midi was built more than 50y ago for planetary observations (one of the initial aim was to perform high-resolution lunar cartography, for preparing Apollo landing ...).

Anyway it all depends on the seeing as mentionned, we get excellent images when we have excellent seeing, you might remember those (click on the link, the maximum size for images in this forum do not render justice to the images, processed by experts smile.gif ):
Jupiter at 40° elevation: http://www.astrosurf..._rgb-dp_pic.jpg

Saturn at 24° elevation only: http://www.astrosurf...0gb-ekr_pic.jpg

Edited by Marc Delcroix, 24 August 2019 - 12:14 PM.

• Joe1950, Vinny1980 and Tulloch like this

#18 Rouzbeh

Rouzbeh

Messenger

• -----

Posted 24 August 2019 - 01:03 PM

That discussion is related to the telescope used for those images, so I'm fine with this interesting exchanges.
That 1m telescope at Pic du Midi was built more than 50y ago for planetary observations (one of the initial aim was to perform high-resolution lunar cartography, for preparing Apollo landing ...).

Anyway it all depends on the seeing as mentionned, we get excellent images when we have excellent seeing, you might remember those (click on the link, the maximum size for images in this forum do not render justice to the images, processed by experts smile.gif ):

Hope its not hijacking this thread but on the topic of 1m scopes. I feel (not sure) the Pic Du Midi is more optimized for planetary. The Chiliscope was F/8 native x2 barlow (I remember), also that 50% secondary probably isn't ideal.

Marc,

Wow look at those!

The details in the rings,  C ring wisps and even and Encke gap.

Details inside the Cassini division are breathtaking! All that at 24 degrees, I wouldn't have thought it was possible.

Jupiter too, very high resolution clean image. Is that an impact remnant on the southern tropical zone (left side)? Moon details are fantastic.

In my 20 years playing with telescopes (as an amateur) I have probably used eyepieces a hand-full of times.

Did look at the planets last week through the Herstmonceux observatory in Southern England. 13 to 28" refractors, wasn't as good as I expected. They are old telescopes though.

• Marc Delcroix and Joe1950 like this

#19 Rouzbeh

Rouzbeh

Messenger

• -----

Posted 24 August 2019 - 01:11 PM

Marc,

I'm very glad we have a professional posting images here.

Thank you!

Here's a link for others if they are interested:

http://www.astrosurf...017 pp32-37.pdf

• Joe1950 likes this

#20 Tulloch

Tulloch

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Melbourne, Australia

Posted 24 August 2019 - 04:30 PM

> Hope its not hijacking this thread but on the topic of 1m scopes. I feel (not sure) the Pic Du Midi is more optimized for planetary. The Chiliscope was F/8 native x2 barlow (I remember), also that 50% secondary probably isn't ideal.

OK Marc, you win! lol.gif

Simply stunning images, best full sized Saturn I've ever seen (even better than Hubble I reckon).

Thanks for posting.

Andrew

• Marc Delcroix and Joe1950 like this

#21 Vinny1980

Vinny1980

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 25 August 2019 - 12:15 AM

Marc, thanks for your explanations and images as well!  When before I was talking about best images taken by the 42", I had in my mind just the ones you have attached: Saturn  is without doubt one of the best taken from Earth. But when you have 1m Cassegrain on Pyrenees, some of the best imagers in the world, lead by professional astronomers, and add excellent seeing, what did you expect?

Rouzbeh, your paper is very interesting- I admit I ve missed it. Let me to return the favour attaching a  pdf, written by J. Rösch, explaining the design and the construction of the Pic du Midi 1 meter telescope. Its in French, cannot find an english version unfortunately.

Vive le Pic !bow.gif 

Attached Files

Edited by Vinny1980, 25 August 2019 - 05:24 AM.

• Rouzbeh and Marc Delcroix like this

#22 Rouzbeh

Rouzbeh

Messenger

• -----

Posted 25 August 2019 - 11:15 AM

Marc, thanks for your explanations and images as well!  When before I was talking about best images taken by the 42", I had in my mind just the ones you have attached: Saturn  is without doubt one of the best taken from Earth. But when you have 1m Cassegrain on Pyrenees, some of the best imagers in the world, lead by professional astronomers, and add excellent seeing, what did you expect?

Rouzbeh, your paper is very interesting- I admit I ve missed it. Let me to return the favour attaching a  pdf, written by J. Rösch, explaining the design and the construction of the Pic du Midi 1 meter telescope. Its in French, cannot find an english version unfortunately.

Vive le Pic !bow.gif 

That's a detailed paper, too bad my French is very poor. Not my paper :)

In general I haven't seen that kind of resolution from the Chilescope, not sure if its the location, bigger CO, or RC being more difficult to collimate perfectly? or a combination of all those. 

https://www.cloudyni...mand/?p=8535246

I was initially thinking of getting a largish RC that could by a dual purpose instrument but didn't really see any great planetary images.

Even the 0.7m CDK scopes (sample Jupiter images on Planewave) look pretty disappointing from Thailand.

https://planewave.com/gallery/

They both have massive secondaries.

On the other hand, Tiziano also from Thailand, gets beautiful images using a 0.5m planetary DK f/20.

https://www.cloudyni...gkok/?p=8513446

#23 Marc Delcroix

Marc Delcroix

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 August 2019 - 11:51 PM

Jupiter too, very high resolution clean image. Is that an impact remnant on the southern tropical zone (left side)? Moon details are fantastic.

No, not an impact scar: nothing bright was visible at that place in methane absorption band.

#24 Marc Delcroix

Marc Delcroix

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 August 2019 - 11:54 PM

Let me to return the favour attaching a  pdf, written by J. Rösch, explaining the design and the construction of the Pic du Midi 1 meter telescope. Its in French, cannot find an english version unfortunately.

Vive le Pic !bow.gif 

Merci! I did not know that paper, I'll surely read it!

#25 Rouzbeh

Rouzbeh

Messenger

• -----

Posted 26 August 2019 - 03:58 PM

No, not an impact scar: nothing bright was visible at that place in methane absorption band.

Ok thanks Marc. Hope to see more images.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: planet

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics