•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Pegasus Astro Ultimate Powerbox V2 - doesn't like Rigel motors

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#26 evansg

evansg

PegasusAstro

• Vendors
  • Loc: Athens, Greece

Posted 30 October 2019 - 07:27 PM

Ultimate Powerbox v2 can easily drive both motors:  HSM and MSM. (Honestly, I have tested both motors in my bench and they are driven absolutely fine)

Regarding the HSM: Please make sure that you use the correct pinout and you use the correct side of cable on the motor and on the UPBv2.

Pinout is different on RJ45 of motor and RJ45 of UPBv2.

Most people swap the cable and that leads to motor vibration as one coil of the motor is off!

Moreover: Keep max speed of motor between 200-400 at max. 

Edited by evansg, 30 October 2019 - 07:35 PM.

• gundark likes this

#27 rigelsys

rigelsys

Vendor (Rigel Systems)

• Vendors

Posted 30 October 2019 - 11:53 PM

Ultimate Powerbox v2 can easily drive both motors:  HSM and MSM. (Honestly, I have tested both motors in my bench and they are driven absolutely fine)

Regarding the HSM: Please make sure that you use the correct pinout and you use the correct side of cable on the motor and on the UPBv2.

Most people swap the cable and that leads to motor vibration as one coil of the motor is off!

please provide the link to where you show the difference of cabling HSM and MSM motors and UPBv2.  A picture is worth 1000 words :-D I believe this is it?

https://pegasusastro...otor-pinout.pdf

#28 evansg

evansg

PegasusAstro

• Vendors

Posted 31 October 2019 - 03:36 AM

Product manual: https://pegasusastro...manual_v1.5.pdf

Page 15: Starlight HSM20/30/35 - RJ45 Motor Cable Pinout for UPBv2 & DMFC

Page 16: Starlight MSM20/30/35 & Rigel nStep  Motor Cable Pinout for UPBv2 & DMFC

(Coils are in opposite order but this is not an issue at all - reverse setting in software swaps coils)

Regards,

Evans

#29 AstroGabe

AstroGabe

Apollo

• Loc: SE Wisconsin

Posted 31 October 2019 - 04:45 PM

I have also created a cable following the diagram in the product manual for using the focuser between my HSM30 and UPBv2.  I also get the same very coarse blender sounding motion as Glenn put it, making me worry about the long-term health of the motor.  I've double checked the diagram against the cable I created several times, and have marked each end correctly with colored tape corresponding to the UPBv2 (blue) and HSM (gold).  

Beyond this, I'm loving the UPBv2.  It's a far simpler setup than what I had before, and seems reliable.  I've had it out for a few nights and it's worked very well.  I got a second unit for my other system, so I can run both at the same time for getting more image data.  

Gabe

#30 rigelsys

rigelsys

Vendor (Rigel Systems)

• Vendors

Posted 31 October 2019 - 06:37 PM

I have also created a cable following the diagram in the product manual for using the focuser between my HSM30 and UPBv2.  I also get the same very coarse blender sounding motion as Glenn put it, making me worry about the long-term health of the motor.  I've double checked the diagram against the cable I created several times, and have marked each end correctly with colored tape corresponding to the UPBv2 (blue) and HSM (gold).  

Beyond this, I'm loving the UPBv2.  It's a far simpler setup than what I had before, and seems reliable.  I've had it out for a few nights and it's worked very well.  I got a second unit for my other system, so I can run both at the same time for getting more image data.  

Gabe

check the "speed" settings Evan mentions.  

• psandelle likes this

#31 gundark

gundark

Viking 1

• Loc: Southern California

Posted 01 November 2019 - 12:02 PM

Evans, you have provided great customer service to me, and for that I am grateful. 

To be clear, I made my cable very carefully according to the pinout diagram. I labeled each end and made sure the cable ends were properly plugged in during use. In the driver, I set the Max Speed to 200. Nevertheless, the motor ran loud and hot. Like Gabe above, I worried about damaging my motor and decided not to use the UPBv2 as a controller anymore. 

IMG_2455.jpeg

IMG_2456.jpeg

IMG_2457.jpeg

My "solution" was to buy an Optec ThirdLynx focus motor, which has a built-in controller and runs on 12 V instead of 5 V like their other motors. The motor receives a USB connection and 12 V power from the UPBv2 but the power box no longer acts as a focus controller. 

The UPBv2 is a fantastic unit. If Pegasus can iron out the focus controller issues, it will be amazing. 

• AstroGabe likes this

#32 rigelsys

rigelsys

Vendor (Rigel Systems)

• Vendors

Posted 01 November 2019 - 01:22 PM

I believe the 5V STEPPERS use shorter (1-5 msec) pulses, and I don't know if the UPBv2 leaves the coils energized after a move (to provide more braking).  That does heat the steppers up quite a bit as they're always drawing current.  

Evan, do you leave the coils energized after stopping, or turn off the coils?  Can pulse width be adjusted -- it's more than just about "speed".

• MikeMiller and gundark like this

#33 grodey

grodey

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 13 November 2019 - 03:02 PM

Waiting to hear a reply, as I just bought a UPBv2 and HSM 30 myself...

#34 AstroGabe

AstroGabe

Apollo

• Loc: SE Wisconsin

Posted 13 November 2019 - 03:06 PM

Here's an update from me.  For the past 3 imaging sessions, I've been using my UPBv2 with an HSM30.  I actually have dual rigs, so I have both of these running AF.  Haven't had an issue with focus, and the nights have been very cold (5-20F), so I'm sure that helps keep things cooled if there's any heating going on.  Functionally, it works now, but still worry about long-term damage to the motors.  

Gabe

#35 evansg

evansg

PegasusAstro

• Vendors

Posted 17 November 2019 - 10:04 PM

UPBv2 sets the motor to sleep after 10 seconds of inactivity. This means that coils are not energized and there is no power consumption or any motor heat.

• AstroGabe likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics