•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Apache 5800 case w/ WO GT71

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 ryanr256

ryanr256

Mariner 2

• topic starter
  • Loc: Southwest Ohio

Posted 18 August 2019 - 10:28 PM

Here's a pic of a Harbor Freight Apache 5800 rolling case with a William Optics GT71, 50mm guide scope, red dot finder, 6A-III flattener and Astro-Tech 2 inch diagonal.

Everything fits, but I would be happier if there was more separation between the flattener and the two 'scopes.

The GT71 comes with a very nice soft case but to use it the handle has to come off and the rings moved close together. It's a great case if you need to fly somewhere and take it as carry on. I wanted something that I could use without having to remove components from the 'scope.

-Bob

Attached Thumbnails

• 20190818_230455.jpg

Edited by ryanr256, 18 August 2019 - 10:29 PM.

• outofsight likes this

#2 ryanr256

ryanr256

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 18 August 2019 - 10:33 PM

Here is a pic from above. you can see there's only one row of foam between the flattener and the two 'scopes. If I didn't put the diagonal with the 'scope, the flattener would fit without issue.

Overall I'm pleased with the HF Apache case. I had a coupon that made the price less than what the current "on sale" price is. Unfortunately, you can't use a coupon for items that are on sale so the fixed price coupon was the way to go.

-Bob

Attached Thumbnails

• 20190818_230437.jpg

#3 CeleNoptic

CeleNoptic

Apollo

• Loc: Cloudy East Coast

Posted 19 August 2019 - 01:48 AM

Interesting, how much it weights with the scope vs without? The largest case I have is 3800. But I don't travel with a scope, it's for my EPs only. Once I stopped by HFT and picked up from the shelf Apache 4800, wow, it was sooo heavy shocked.gif . I would never join this hobby if I new I have to be a weightlifter lol.gif .

#4 scottmm2012

scottmm2012

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 19 August 2019 - 05:59 AM

It looks like you only picked from the top layer of foam.  The apache cases I own have two dense layers of foam inside with a slimmer third cushion on the bottom and the egg crate in the lid.  You could pull the top layer and make a cut out for either the finder or the flattener.  If it were mine I would place the scope and finder deeper in the box and the rest in the top layer.

How does the handle/finder dovetail handle being that high, is the case hard to close?

#5 ryanr256

ryanr256

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 19 August 2019 - 07:52 AM

Interesting, how much it weights with the scope vs without? The largest case I have is 3800. But I don't travel with a scope, it's for my EPs only. Once I stopped by HFT and picked up from the shelf Apache 4800, wow, it was sooo heavy shocked.gif . I would never join this hobby if I new I have to be a weightlifter lol.gif .

I will see if I can get a weight when I get home tonight. I won't get home until late, after 11:00pm, so it may be tomorrow before I can do it.

It looks like you only picked from the top layer of foam.  The apache cases I own have two dense layers of foam inside with a slimmer third cushion on the bottom and the egg crate in the lid.  You could pull the top layer and make a cut out for either the finder or the flattener.  If it were mine I would place the scope and finder deeper in the box and the rest in the top layer.

How does the handle/finder dovetail handle being that high, is the case hard to close?

There are two layers of foam. I usually pull both layers, cut the bottom one and reinsert it to give me the depth needed. I will probably do that with the GT71. The case closes without any issues, meaning I don't have to force the lid down. I'm sure the handle is making an impression in the egg crate foam in the lid and the 'scope is making one in the bottom layer.

I will use the bottom layer impression to selectively remove, and cut for height, foam to position the 'scope a little lower.

-Bob

Edited by ryanr256, 19 August 2019 - 07:53 AM.

#6 ryanr256

ryanr256

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 20 August 2019 - 07:35 PM

The case by itself weighs 14.5 lbs. Fully loaded it weighs 25 lbs.

Both weights are subject to the accuracy of my digital bathroom scale, which hasn't been verified but I trust the results.

There was a deeper impression on the egg crate foam in the lid than I liked so I removed more foam from the bottom layer in the case. The 'scope sits much lower in the case and the handle doesn't leave as deep of an impression in the lid.

-Bob

Edited by ryanr256, 20 August 2019 - 09:47 PM.

• CeleNoptic likes this

#7 CeleNoptic

CeleNoptic

Apollo

Posted 22 August 2019 - 01:17 PM

The case by itself weighs 14.5 lbs. Fully loaded it weighs 25 lbs.

Wow, heavy. Loaded it more than doubling your scope weight with all accessories. Thanks for the info. I took my fisherman's scale and Apache 3800 showed just 4 lbs. and 2800 -- 2 lbs. smile.gif  

#8 ryanr256

ryanr256

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 22 August 2019 - 01:37 PM

Wow, heavy. Loaded it more than doubling your scope weight with all accessories. Thanks for the info. I took my fisherman's scale and Apache 3800 showed just 4 lbs. and 2800 -- 2 lbs. smile.gif  

The 5800 has wheels and a handle. That makes the weight a little more bearable. But, I don't see myself dragging it through an airport any time soon.

Thankfully the distance I have to carry it isn't great. Overall I'm very pleased with the case.

-Bob

#9 CeleNoptic

CeleNoptic

Apollo

Posted 23 August 2019 - 11:04 AM

Today I stopped by Harbor Freight and tried 9800 Apache, a case for long rifles or so. IIRC, somebody has reported (maybe in Eyepiece forum) of using it for eyepieces. Without any content just the case can easily be 20-25 lbs. And no wheels!  flowerred.gif

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics