•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Old Nexstar 5

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Craig Smith

Craig Smith

Messenger

• topic starter
  • Loc: Utah

Posted 18 August 2019 - 10:49 PM

I've had a number of scopes but don't currently have anything.  I'm planning on getting an Evo 8, but in the interim I ran across a used Nexstar 5 for a very reasonable price and thought it might get me by.  I'm wondering what generation it is though and if there's anything I should be aware of. 

The manual simply says Nexstar 5, so sounds like a first generation, but it's a silver tube; I thought the originals were orange.  The hand controller says SE, but I assume that's just a software upgrade?  I've attached some pics.

I thought this might also double as a travel scope, although I'd prefer one with a detachable OTA.  Anyone take one of these in a carry-on?

Thanks.

Attached Thumbnails

• Mount OTA.jpg
  • Full.jpg

#2 Michael_Swanson

Michael_Swanson

Vanguard

Posted 19 August 2019 - 12:19 AM

Hi Craig,

That is a NexStar 5i - the second generation of NexStar 5.  If the mechanics (smooth motion under power in all 4 directions) and optics are in good condition, it would be a very nice portable setup.  The optical tube will rotate to allow it to face straight down and in that position it would fit into a carry-on suitcase.  In some ways this is better than removing the optical tube - less pieces to pack. 

The electronics in the base are compatible with the current hand controls which provides some upgradability.  The NexStar 5i is extremely stable on that tripod.  This section of my website addresses that line of scopes:
https://www.nexstars...m/OddsEndsI.htm

And here is the manual:
https://www.nexstars...and8iManual.zip

Note that the pictures show:
- no tripod spreader/eyepiece tray
- no diagonal
- no finderscope/red-dot finder
All of which are needed to make effective use of the scope.

Best regards,
Mike Swanson
Author of "The NexStar Users Guide II"
Author of "The NexStar Users Guide"
Author of "NexStar Observer List"
https://www.nexstarsite.com

#3 Craig Smith

Craig Smith

Messenger

• topic starter

Posted 19 August 2019 - 08:55 AM

Thank you very much, I forgot about your site and books.  Thanks for noticing the lack of a spreader and of course the diagonal.  The ad does show pictures of the accessories which include eypieces and a T-adapter, but no diagonal.  Strange, I will have to ask.  I used to have an old Celestron diagonal, but I think I gave it away; but not the end of the world to get another probably better quality one.

Edited by Craig Smith, 19 August 2019 - 08:56 AM.

#4 Ski-Patroller

Ski-Patroller

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Portland Oregon

Posted 20 August 2019 - 05:41 PM

I have a 5i and like it very much.  Very solid, makes a great grab and go scope.  I made my own spreader from 1/2" baltic birch plywood.  It is larger and will hold more eyepieces than the original.   Celestron used to make a case for it that held the mount and scope together with the scope pointing down.  It is pretty compact that way.  You might find one of the imitation pelican boxes that would fit it.

Edited by Ski-Patroller, 20 August 2019 - 05:45 PM.

#5 Craig Smith

Craig Smith

Messenger

• topic starter

Posted 21 August 2019 - 11:40 PM

Great, thanks.  He has the diagonal and finder, I forgot to ask about the spreader, I suspect he has it but will probably get the scope regardless.  He doesn't have the original box or a case so I'll have to make something up for it.  Celestron's case is too big for a carry-on and doesn't have wheels.

Edited by Craig Smith, 21 August 2019 - 11:41 PM.

#6 Freighter109

Freighter109

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Central OK

Posted 22 August 2019 - 06:55 AM

Great, thanks.  He has the diagonal and finder, I forgot to ask about the spreader, I suspect he has it but will probably get the scope regardless.  He doesn't have the original box or a case so I'll have to make something up for it.  Celestron's case is too big for a carry-on and doesn't have wheels.

https://www.cloudyni...or-nexstar-6se/

https://www.homedepo...30380/207138341

I recently got this for my 6se. It would work great as well for the 5. Just an idea to throw your way. 

#7 Craig Smith

Craig Smith

Messenger

• topic starter

Posted 23 August 2019 - 05:21 PM

Thanks, that is an interesting case!  I got the scope, he did have the spreader and things seem to work OK.  Will hopefully set it up and check it out tonight.

Edited by Craig Smith, 24 August 2019 - 10:41 AM.

#8 Craig Smith

Craig Smith

Messenger

• topic starter

Posted 24 August 2019 - 11:34 AM

The skies were strangely perfect last night even though I got a new scope; here's the summary.

• The manual it came with is for the original Nexstar 5, but it has the aux and autoguide ports in the base which confirms it is indeed a 5i if I understand correctly.  It had the original purchase receipt dated Dec 2005, which also corresponds to the 5i period I think.
  • There is a Celestron warranty repair invoice dated Mar 2007 that says the following.  This was good to find.
    • Upgraded mount to Nexstar SE series electronics
    • Replaced hand control to flash upgradeable version 4.12
    • Cleaned and collimated optics
  • It appears mostly complete, missing only one of the three base mounting bolts.  Not sure if that matters, but I may contact Celestron or just try to make my own.  As mentioned it did have the tripod spreader.  It included the following accessories:
    • Standard RDF
    • Standard diagonal
    • Two visual backs, one made in China and another made in Taiwan with 2 set screws (I assume this one is older). 
    • Standard 25mm plossl eyepiece.
    • Two Antares plossl eyepieces, 7.5mm and 10 mm.
    • Two Vixen LV eyepieces, 4mm and 5mm (unusable in this scope I think).
    • T-adapter and Canon EOS ring.
    • Extra finder bracket, which actually seems it's for an 8"
    • Tripod and allen wrenches
  • The mount base is larger than I expected; I think it's the same mount as the 8i?  Might be too big for an airline carry-on.

Took me a bit to figure out how to work it, it's been a while since I've had one; it's not always intuitive.  The finder adjustment screws were loose, but after tightening them it's still a bit hard to align precisely due simply to the lack of precision and lack of resolution.

Jupiter looked great in the 25mm but not in the others. The collimation is very good and the seeing forecast was decent and didn't look too bad, but I was in the city and hardly any stars were bright enough to judge very well.  There were some aberrations that may have been due to my contacts or the eyepieces.  The focuser is ok but a little stiff, but I've never liked SCT focusers in general.

The main issue is backlash -- or something else is wrong.  Sometimes it takes 10 seconds before it starts moving on even the middle slew rates.  I will have to try adjusting the backlash tonight.

Edited by Craig Smith, 24 August 2019 - 11:38 AM.

#9 Ski-Patroller

Ski-Patroller

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Portland Oregon

Posted 26 August 2019 - 05:36 PM

10 seconds is way too long if you are in the 5 speed.  If it is in the altitude slew, the clutch might be out of adjustment, though it would not track if the clutch was that loose. 

#10 Craig Smith

Craig Smith

Messenger

• topic starter

Posted 27 August 2019 - 12:10 AM

Finally got to adjusting the backlash.  Tried last night but couldn't get it aligned (and you can't access the menus without aligning it first).  Forgot you have to reset the time and date every time you turn it on.  Probably the single most inexcusable flaw.  Looks like there's an update that will prompt you each time you align.

At any rate, I changed the azimuth backlash compensation from 20 to 90 and the altitude from 0 to 20.  They still aren't ideal but not too bad, much better than before.

#11 whizbang

whizbang

Ranger 4

• Loc: NE of Seattle, WA

Posted 27 August 2019 - 08:54 AM

"inexcusable flaw"

This is 2019.  Celestron can't build a clock into their controllers?

#12 Geo.

Geo.

Vendor - Nexstar Parts

• Vendors
  • Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 27 August 2019 - 09:52 AM

quote; "It appears mostly complete, missing only one of the three base mounting bolts.  Not sure if that matters, but I may contact Celestron or just try to make my own.  

BE CAREFUL! The mounting bolts cannot thread into the base more than 1/2" without jamming the Az rotation and damaging the spur gear.

Yes the 5, 5i, 5iSE were sold on the same mount as the C8 model. Or more correctly the C8 was fitted on the 1999 Nexstar 5 mount. I believe as an after thought.

Yea, bit of a shame real time clocks are sooo cheap. Just picked up a lot of 40 for 85 cents a unit for this OnStep STM32 goto driver kit.

Maj_Components.jpg

#13 Craig Smith

Craig Smith

Messenger

• topic starter

Posted 06 September 2019 - 04:01 PM

quote; "It appears mostly complete, missing only one of the three base mounting bolts.  Not sure if that matters, but I may contact Celestron or just try to make my own.  

BE CAREFUL! The mounting bolts cannot thread into the base more than 1/2" without jamming the Az rotation and damaging the spur gear.

Celestron sent me a new bolt/spring/clip!

#14 Craig Smith

Craig Smith

Messenger

• topic starter

Posted 06 September 2019 - 04:11 PM

This is 2019.  Celestron can't build a clock into their controllers?

Yea, bit of a shame real time clocks are sooo cheap. Just picked up a lot of 40 for 85 cents a unit for this OnStep STM32 goto driver kit.

+1 for Meade.  The Nexstar SE really should have one, it's beyond ridiculous, but I guess on the Evolution it pulls the time and location from your phone/tablet so that's why it has neither a clock nor gps.

Edited by Craig Smith, 06 September 2019 - 04:11 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics