•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

TEC 160 FL on its way...

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Cotts

Cotts

Just Wondering

• Moderators
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Madoc, Ontario

Posted 18 August 2019 - 11:32 PM

I have struck a deal for a TEC 160 FL.  I'm hoping to use it about 70% visual and 30% imaging.  It will be mounted on my AP Mach 1.

I'm downsizing from 3 telescopes of varying sizes and purposes to one telescope.   One scope to rule them all.....?

I'll miss the Ceravolo HD 145's perfect, 'refractor-like' optics but it is not able to do photography due to lack of back focus.  I'll be parking/storing the C11 which is an excellent visual scope but, at f/10 2800mm, is a millstone for photography.  The Serrurier Truss 12.5" f/6.5 Lockwood is excellent for photography but it is not set up for visual on the AP1200 mount.  My winter project is to turn it into a dob...

I've grown weary of swapping out scopes all the time....  Enough.

I will keep my AstroTech 65mm/400mm Quad AP which will ride on top of the TEC.  It will act as a guide scope, finder and is still a superb imaging instrument in its own right with its perfectly flat 2x3 degree field...

I will get first light for the 160 at the Okie-Tex Star Party... any CN'ers who will be there please drop by my site for a few photons!  Look for the Canadian flag!!  I do not foresee any trouble hoisting the scope onto the mount.  The TEC is 24 pounds which is 12 pounds lighter than the C11 I've been putting up from time to time with no difficulty...

Sorry for any cloud...

Dave

• Jon Isaacs, Paul Hyndman, zjc26138 and 18 others like this

#2 Kunama

Kunama

Aussie at large

• Loc: Australia

Posted 19 August 2019 - 12:03 AM

A dream scope for sure Dave, congratulations ! Now you just need Allan to sneak it into the cockpit of the A380 for the 2020 SDM gathering cool.gif lol.gif

#3 Codbear

Codbear

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Novato, CA

Posted 19 August 2019 - 12:04 AM

Congrats Dave... My TEC180 is my goto scope for lunar, planetary and double stars because it never fails me.

Even when the seeing isn't great and my dobs aren't putting up great views and my 14" Edge is putting up beach balls,  the 180 is cleanly splitting the double-double or showing me the Trap, and giving me etched views of Jupiter and Saturn. I'm sure you will love your 160!

That is quite the trek btw for first light...gotta be some kind of record! grin.gif

Sam

• Jeff B likes this

#4 zjc26138

zjc26138

Loved By All

• Loc: Steubenville, Ohio

Posted 19 August 2019 - 06:34 AM

Congrats Dave!

#5 Cotts

Cotts

Just Wondering

• Moderators
  • topic starter

Posted 19 August 2019 - 07:56 AM

That is quite the trek btw for first light...gotta be some kind of record! grin.gif

Sam

My trip pales compared to the trip the scope is taking.  It will be shipped from the US southwest to Kentucky where a CN pal of mine lives.  He is attending Okie and will bring it with him..   So very nearly 1 1/2 trips across the USA.

I will bring it home to Ontario from there.  

Dave

• zjc26138 and Codbear like this

#6 DeanS

DeanS

Skylab

• Loc: Central Kentucky

Posted 19 August 2019 - 08:50 AM

My trip pales compared to the trip the scope is taking.  It will be shipped from the US southwest to Kentucky where a CN pal of mine lives.  He is attending Okie and will bring it with him..   So very nearly 1 1/2 trips across the USA.

I will bring it home to Ontario from there.  

Dave

Unless I decide to keep it and make a pair of 160 binos!!!  smile.gif

Big Congrats Dave!

Edited by DeanS, 19 August 2019 - 08:50 AM.

• 3 i Guy, turtle86, Paul Morow and 1 other like this

#7 rugby

rugby

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 19 August 2019 - 09:00 AM

Hello Dave: Congrats on the new 160.  BTW  what are your plans for the ceravolo?     See you at starfest        Paul and Cathie

#8 Cotts

Cotts

Just Wondering

• Moderators
  • topic starter

Posted 19 August 2019 - 11:07 AM

Hello Dave: Congrats on the new 160.  BTW  what are your plans for the ceravolo?     See you at starfest        Paul and Cathie

Paul and Cathie:  The Ceravolo is sold already to a fellow from Boston.  I will be using it at Starfest and getting it to him afterward.

'Last Light', I suppose you could call it...

Your scope cover is packed and ready to go.  

Dave

#9 ken30809

ken30809

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: NC

Posted 19 August 2019 - 11:07 AM

Congratulations on the new scope! And I hope the 2019 Okie Tex star party is a little better this year. Hope I can make it one year soon. Clear skies!!!

#10 Cotts

Cotts

Just Wondering

• Moderators
  • topic starter

Posted 19 August 2019 - 11:09 AM

Unless I decide to keep it and make a pair of 160 binos!!!  smile.gif

Big Congrats Dave!

Thanks, Dean.  I may not be using your scope delivery service.  It may be that a) the seller decides to attend OkieTex himself or b) I know two guys in Arizona who are attending Okie.  Efforts to get in touch with them are in progress. 

I'll still bring the Port for you anyway!

Dave

• DeanS likes this

#11 DeanS

DeanS

Skylab

• Loc: Central Kentucky

Posted 19 August 2019 - 12:08 PM

Thanks, Dean.  I may not be using your scope delivery service.  It may be that a) the seller decides to attend OkieTex himself or b) I know two guys in Arizona who are attending Okie.  Efforts to get in touch with them are in progress. 

I'll still bring the Port for you anyway!

Dave

The less time on a delivery truck the better!  And cheaper too.

#12 rockethead26

rockethead26

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Northern Arizona, USA

Posted 19 August 2019 - 06:22 PM

Nice choice, Dave! Now you don't have to come all the way down from Ontario to look thru our puny 140FL.bow.gif

#13 Jeff B

Jeff B

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 19 August 2019 - 06:23 PM

Congrats Dave... My TEC180 is my goto scope for lunar, planetary and double stars because it never fails me.

Even when the seeing isn't great and my dobs aren't putting up great views and my 14" Edge is putting up beach balls,  the 180 is cleanly splitting the double-double or showing me the Trap, and giving me etched views of Jupiter and Saturn. I'm sure you will love your 160!

Sam

And that's exactly the attractions of bigger APOs for me as well.

No fuss

No collimation issues dogging you during the night when you move the scope around

No fans, no fans...and did I say no fans(!)

No apertures close to the ground but up in the air above you

No degradation of contrast to speak of

No scattering of light off of dirty mirrors 

No big light losses from degrading coatings

No periodic trips to the coaters

No coma

And, finally, sometimes for me, no or minimal sleep because I just want to stay glued to the eyepiece (or eyepieces for me with bino-viewers).

Jeff

• 3 i Guy, Scott99, ken30809 and 1 other like this

#14 NHRob

NHRob

Cosmos

• Loc: Southern Cloud-Hampshire

Posted 19 August 2019 - 07:18 PM

Oh no! You sold your HD145!! How could you?

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics