•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Long Term Storage of a C11 - advice?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Cotts

Cotts

Just Wondering

• Moderators
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Madoc, Ontario

Posted 18 August 2019 - 11:39 PM

I was given a C11 by a friend who, due to age, was unable to use it any more.  The scope was free to me but I was asked by my friend not to sell it until after he's gone.  I have every intention of following his wishes.

I find that I will need to store the scope for at least the next couple of years and perhaps longer.

What advice can anyone give on how to store it.  Horizontally?  On end facing down?  On end facing up?  I'm thinking of potential lubricant leak/drip as well as dust.  I will plug the open end, of course. Should I use a bag of dessicant?   Scope will be stored in a plastic storage tub in my basement which is cool (65-70 year round) and reasonably dry.. 

Thanks for the wisdom,

Dave

#2 CT Sound Shooter

CT Sound Shooter

Ranger 4

• Loc: Connecticut, USA

Posted 19 August 2019 - 12:42 AM

Cotts,

I would advise against storing silica-based desiccant bags with the scope. I've read that the silica particles can get inside the scope and potentially scratch optics. I have a C11 and would also advise against storing on end facing down because interior lubricant might be more likely to drip onto optics (the corrector plate interior or secondary mirror) in this position, even though that sounds unlikely at the temperature in your basement. I think horizontal storage would be best.

Hope this helps,

CTSS

Edited by CT Sound Shooter, 19 August 2019 - 12:43 AM.

#3 Cometeer

Cometeer

Vanguard

• Loc: SF Bay Area, California or Illinois

Posted 19 August 2019 - 12:58 AM

Don’t face down. Grease from the focusing mechanism can drip down...don’t ask how I know.

+1 for horizontal storage. 

#4 Jim Waters

Jim Waters

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Phoenix, AZ USA

Posted 19 August 2019 - 01:13 AM

Been using silica desiccant for many years without a problem.  Place the C11 in a large heavy plastic bag and toss in 4 or 5 bags and remove as much air as possible.

https://www.amazon.c...Z8A5TM719NMK5XP

EDIT - On its side or face up.  Make sure the corrector end cover is on and the focuser is plugged.

Edited by Jim Waters, 19 August 2019 - 01:45 AM.

• ngc7319_20 and cookjaiii like this

#5 cookjaiii

cookjaiii

Viking 1

• Loc: Southeast PA

Posted 19 August 2019 - 06:19 AM

I like Jim Waters' advice.  Maybe you could use one of those vacuum storage bags sold for storing bedding.

https://www.target.c...ct/-/A-14044942

They are clear so you could monitor the color of your desiccant indicator, plus you would know if the seal is air tight.

I know from experience that these will hold a seal for at least four years.

#6 Cotts

Cotts

Just Wondering

• Moderators
  • topic starter

Posted 19 August 2019 - 08:09 AM

I won't put silica bags inside the scope.  Just in the plastic tub.   

On its side...I have a plug in place already for the eyepiece end.   A metal cover is over the Corrector end.

I think a giant, heavy duty garbage bag would work, with the silica bags inside.   I should be able to suck a lot of the air out of the bag with my shop vac and then seal it up then place inside the tub.

Thanks for the help...

Dave

#7 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 19 August 2019 - 08:31 AM

How about just using it on a regular basis? Seems like a good way to honor your friend and it's way handier than a 160 mm Refractor and more capable on many objects..

Something to consider anyway.

Jon

#8 carolinaskies

carolinaskies

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Greenville SC

Posted 19 August 2019 - 06:44 PM

Best practices.... Horizontal storage in cool dry location preferrably in a hard case to protect the scope.  Do not store inside a non-breathable bag... that is a no-no for any optics that have the potential in the storage location changing humidity.  I have NEVER heard of dessicant etching optics. Perhaps someone made their own dessicant.  Dessicant is often used with astronomy cameras to control dew and they are located within a couple MMs of the optical components.  

When the scope is initially stored make sure it is done in a location which is neither too hot nor cold and that the telescope is acclimatized before storage.  From many nights of using scopes putting one away without making sure it's not going to change excessively and create dew or not cool down fast (like going to Texas star party and doing solar observing... you put the scope in the shade and let it cool, you don't throw it in a case and hope for the best!).  

• kingjamez likes this

#9 gpsfool

gpsfool

Lift Off

• Loc: Western New York

Posted 19 August 2019 - 10:05 PM

If basements in Ontario are like they are in New York - aka - damp I’m not so sure that’s an ideal spot to store a scope?

How about a closet in the lived-in area of the house?  A place kept dry; cool in summer, warm in winter.

Bagged with desiccant is good too.

Gpsfool

#10 Cotts

Cotts

Just Wondering

• Moderators
  • topic starter

Posted 20 August 2019 - 08:14 AM

I do have a small closet in the guest bedroom which is on the main floor....  Temp and humidity will be more stable there, that's for sure...

Dave

• Jon Isaacs likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics