•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Finalised the scope, now some accessories help.

accessories dob
  • Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#51 aeajr

aeajr

Voyager 1

• Loc: Long Island, New York, USA

Posted 23 August 2019 - 03:07 PM

My Apertura AD12 is the same scope but in 12" instead of 8.

Over the next few posts I will show you a few things I did with mine.  NONE of this is required, but if you find something interesting, ask and I will tell you what it took to do it and why I did it.

FINDING THINGS

I had a 360 degree scale printed and laminated which I attached to the base disk. Then cut a notch out of the top disk so I could see it.  See photos below.

You could just print out the scale on paper but having it done professionally and laminated makes it more durable. 

I use this to help me find targets using an AltAz method that is described here.

Using an angle gauge to help find targets
https://www.cloudyni...y/#entry8120838

Attached Thumbnails

• Apertura AZ scale mounted on plate with 3M77 contact glue (640x480).jpg
  • Apertura AZ scale close (640x480).jpg

• Earthbound1 and toofan like this

#52 aeajr

aeajr

Voyager 1

Posted 23 August 2019 - 03:23 PM

MOVING THE SCOPE

Below are photos that compre my 8" to my 12".   How I moved the 8" around, on hard surfaces using a flat cart, and how I move the 12" on all surfaces with a red hand truck.

If you decide to try the hand truck route, save the foam inserts from the shipping carton to help you fit it to the hand truck.

Attached Thumbnails

• Apertura AD12 and Orion XT8i (240x320).jpg
  • 2015-09-14 18.18.13 (359x640) (2).jpg
  • Apertura fitted to red handtruck (480x640).jpg

• toofan likes this

#53 aeajr

aeajr

Voyager 1

Posted 23 August 2019 - 03:28 PM

If you have a lot of ground light around you, you may wish to flock the upper part of the tube to reduce internal reflections.  In the picture you can see the fuzzy fabric around the focuser tube.  This is called flocking.  I purchased it in a roll with adhesive backing and just applied it to the inside of the tube.  It is made for telescopes.

Not required, especially if you are not in a location with lots of ground light.   I am surrounded by lights when I am observing at home. 

Attached Thumbnails

• Apertura flocking (640x480).jpg

• Earthbound1 and toofan like this

#54 Sky Muse

Sky Muse

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Mid-South, U.S.

Posted 24 August 2019 - 11:39 AM

This is my 6" f/5.  It's half the size of Ed's there, but then I live in a Bortle 4 to 5 area.  With my own however, every last square micro-millimeter inside the tube, front to back, was either flocked or blackened with matte-paint...

before & after2.jpg

I take no chances with stray-light sources.

• Earthbound1 likes this

#55 toofan

toofan

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: India, Uttrakhand, Nainital

Posted 25 August 2019 - 02:42 AM

Lots of information here. An dmany new things to learn before the telescope reaches me. So reading and youtubing quite a lot these days. Thanks for links and info.

But isn't it hard to fully flock/blackened a full 1200mm tube.
  • aeajr and Reefwreak like this

#56 Reefwreak

Reefwreak

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 25 August 2019 - 10:56 AM

I believe they sell the flocking sheets that aeajr referred to in ready-to-cut sizes, so you get the right depth, and cut the diameter.

I wanted to also chime in that upon seeing aeajr's recommendations on the Celestron/Meade 8-24 zoom eyepiece, I bought it as my first eyepiece after the kit pieces that came with my 130eq. It's a really fantastic eyepiece, much better than the stock kellners that came in the box, even with the zoom. It also makes learning the stars and navigating the skies much easier as you can zoom in and out looking for your next star to hop to. I'm sure that is frowned upon by advanced astronomers, however for those of us just beginning, maybe without much time to "do it right", it's an amazing convenience and allows much more time stargazing than changing eyepieces, losing targets, hunting and resetting positioning, etc.
  • aeajr likes this

#57 aeajr

aeajr

Voyager 1

Posted 25 August 2019 - 04:54 PM

Lots of information here. An dmany new things to learn before the telescope reaches me. So reading and youtubing quite a lot these days. Thanks for links and info.

I only did the top 24" so it was pretty easy.  You cut the fabric into 4" widths and apply them one next to the other going around the tube.  If they wrinkle a little it doesn't matter.

No need to go any deeper into the tube than that.

I just cut around the supports for the secondary mirror rather than removing it. 

• Earthbound1 likes this

#58 Sky Muse

Sky Muse

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 25 August 2019 - 10:20 PM

You be the judge...

https://www.cloudyni...6-f5-newtonian/

In the case of a Newtonian larger than 6", you can just flock from the bottom of the tube up to about 12" to 18".  There at the upper portion of the tube, you don't have to go all the way round.  Only halfway round, opposite the focusser, and also about 12" to 18" into the tube towards the back...

front flocking.JPG

If flocking for telescopes is not available, self-adhesive black-felt sheets are the next best thing.  All other surfaces are blackened with matte-black paint, but the paint should be darker than what the factory sprayed inside, else it won't be worth the while.  When painting, the goal is to dull down and darken any and all shiny surfaces.  You don't want any surface within to catch a beam of stray-light, from a house light, street light, security light; or the light of the Moon even, and when trying to observe the dimmer deep-sky objects.

• aeajr and Earthbound1 like this

#59 toofan

toofan

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 31 August 2019 - 07:53 PM

Thanks skymuse, aeajr and reefwrek.
Its reaching to me in couple of days now. I will observe and report to u guys very soon.
Although i had seen videos of assembling a gso dob but still if something stuks I will ask you guys.
  • Sky Muse likes this

#60 Sky Muse

Sky Muse

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 01 September 2019 - 02:01 AM

Thanks skymuse, aeajr and reefwrek.
Its reaching to me in couple of days now. I will observe and report to u guys very soon.
Although i had seen videos of assembling a gso dob but still if something stuks I will ask you guys.

A Newtonian and a refractor, those are the two old designs, and from the 1600s.  Life was simpler back then, as was the stuff used in daily life.  Schmidts and Maksutovs, the other two types that folks consider as their first telescope, are a bit more complex in construction.  They came about much later, in the 1940s, and therefore reflect a more-complex world...

...but it took old-world knowledge to create them.

The first thing I do when I get a new reflector is to snap a shot of its secondary-scene...

collimation1ab.jpg

At a glance, I can tell that that telescope is well-collimated.

This one, however, was mis-collimated upon arrival...

secondary scene - 020619b.jpg

I simply place a lamp, with a white something or other over it to diffuse the light, in front of the telescope...

illumination.jpg

With a collimation-cap inserted into the focusser, I place a camera over the pinhole of the cap, zoom in, and snap a shot...

collimation1b.jpg

Your scene will appear virtually identical to that one, if well-collimated upon arrival.  If it doesn't, we can help you with that.

Edited by Sky Muse, 01 September 2019 - 02:03 AM.

#61 toofan

toofan

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 03 September 2019 - 12:59 AM

Hello Skymuse and others,

Finally the scope arrived yesterday evening. 

1. I was in hurry to set it up because i know without any proper collimation only moon can be seen little bit. Base setup done.

2. OTA setup done. 

3. Took around 1 and half hours to unpack and assembly all the parts.

4. Went to terrace, Moon was down by then, it was clouds all over the sky, only a little window was open.. My son said it was saturn, tried to view it. 😃 But before understanding what to do, it started raining. So packup.

5. Then realised that I had assembled it wrongly. The eyepiece tray was assembled towards opposite side of focusser. 

6. The Ota was fixed toward lower side.

7. This morning reassembled everything again. But didn't get the time to align the finder scope. 

8. Never thought of collimating it.

Now here are some pics.. If I had to resend it then please inform. 

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20190903_112627.jpg
  • IMG_20190903_112658.jpg

• Sky Muse likes this

#62 Sky Muse

Sky Muse

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 03 September 2019 - 01:56 AM

Congratulations, your collimation scene looks very good, if not ideal.  Did you take the shot through a collimation tool, or just the focusser's tube?

Take a pic of the kit once you get it squared away; similar to Ed's up there of his 8" and 12", and let us see it.

• toofan likes this

#63 toofan

toofan

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 03 September 2019 - 02:17 AM

Congratulations, your collimation scene looks very good, if not ideal.  Did you take the shot through a collimation tool, or just the focusser's tube?

Take a pic of the kit once you get it squared away; similar to Ed's up there of his 8" and 12", and let us see it.

Thanks.

I shot it through collimation tool. 

I will post a pic of it once I reach home. 

• Sky Muse likes this

#64 aeajr

aeajr

Voyager 1

Posted 03 September 2019 - 07:38 AM

Looks very good for a starting position.   

You can use a Newtonian that is not perfectly collimated, unless it is wildly out of collimation.   You just don't get the best image.   Like driving a car with tires that don't have enough pressure.  It will go but won't perform well. 

• toofan likes this

#65 toofan

toofan

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 03 September 2019 - 09:13 PM

1st night spoiled due to rain. But on 2nd day i and my son took the scope out in terrace in evening. Then my son tried to see the moon with 30mm eyepiece. But could not find it.
Then I aligned the finder scope using a red light over a mobile tower and tried to bring the finder scope in sharp foucs. But was not satisfied with the sharpness of view. Then again my son was very much excited and he was not allowing me to have the first view. If targeted the moon and there it was. My whole family had a show for 15 mins then comes my turn.
And it was amazing, much sharper then binoculars. Changed the eyepiece to 9mm plossel. Then again my son took charge and straight away went for jupiter. I was not sure it was jupiter orr some normal star. He found it. But when my turn comes it was lost and i could not find it again. I realised the alignment of finder scope was not correct. Then again agligned with 9 mm eyepiece. Then saw the jupiter. It was sharp. Could see its 4 moons. And two red lines. My mother was surprised to see jupiter for first time ever.
Then I used 2x Barlow and it was still sharp but moving very fast away from the frame.
Totally amazing 1st day. I had to call my day off because i had to help my son for his homework.
  • aeajr likes this

#66 toofan

toofan

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 03 September 2019 - 10:07 PM

Here is the Pic of Scope on the beautiful Evening with my Little Newton.. Creating disturbance but showing deep interest in the scope and my mother trying to see the Moon.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20190903_184519.jpg
  • IMG_20190903_184945.jpg

• Starman27, Sky Muse, aeajr and 1 other like this

#67 Sky Muse

Sky Muse

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 06 September 2019 - 10:45 PM

Here is the Pic of Scope on the beautiful Evening with my Little Newton.. Creating disturbance but showing deep interest in the scope and my mother trying to see the Moon.

Such wonderful pictures those are to share with us.  Thank you very much.  The telescope looks wonderful as well.  You and your family are in for a treat, night after night.  I do hope your mother got to see the Moon.  She'll have plenty of opportunities over time, and to see other objects in addition.  You, on the other hand, will have great fun hunting down the fainter and much-fainter objects, of which there are too many to count.

Now, when the time comes, don't be discouraged by the collimation process.  Before you know it, you will have mastered it.  It took me a while as well.

• toofan likes this

#68 aeajr

aeajr

Voyager 1

Posted 07 September 2019 - 12:06 PM

Based on that photo, you need an adjustable height chair.

• toofan likes this

#69 toofan

toofan

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 07 September 2019 - 11:30 PM

Skymuse : thanks. haven't tried to disturb the factory collimation yet. As the targets till now Saturn, jupiter and moon are crystal clear and sharp. Is these gso eyepieces so good? Specially the 30mm 68°piece is wonderful experience.

aeajr: yes could not find that observing chair you mentioned. Thinking of making one myself, with the help of links you posted.

Although there is a regret. I haven't thought it will be that much large. Otherwise i would certainly gone for a smaller one. 😁😁😃😃

Now looking for a hand truck/trolley for it to move in terrace and I doubt if i can move it to some dark places on my sedan.

One more thing how anyone measures the light pollution in sky. Any application for it.
  • Sky Muse likes this

#70 Sky Muse

Sky Muse

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 07 September 2019 - 11:48 PM

Here's one for you... https://darksitefind...23.886/-272.329

And yes, the GSO eyepieces are quite good.  You definitely get your money's worth.

#71 toofan

toofan

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 08 September 2019 - 04:30 AM

Today I tried to play with collimation and this is the end result. The primary mirror is towards top direction by mili metres which I could not figured out at the time of collimation. Now mu question is that what the reflection of collimation cap is not centered. I mean with most inner white circle.

I adjusted the tilting screws and the primary screws only. 

Thanks 

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20190908_145516.jpg

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: accessories, dob

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics