•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Please Help With GOTO German Eq Mount

mount equipment astrophotography eq
  • Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Zeroed4x

Zeroed4x

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: South Florida, USA

Posted 19 August 2019 - 07:13 AM

Hello, I'm seeking guidance regarding the acquisition of a new Goto German Equatorial Mount. 

I need a respectable payload capability of around 30 lbs.
I plan on using this for observation but also for AP.
If you own any of these, have any knowledge of these mounts or would like to suggest another mount that might be better, please chime in and provide some feed back, thanks. 

I've been looking at the following.

iOptron CEM25P

iOptron iEQ30

Meade LX85

Sky Watcher HEQ5

Sky Watcher EQ6R Pro

Orion Sirius EQ-G

Orion Atlas EQ-G

#2 OldManSky

OldManSky

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Valley Center, CA USA

Posted 19 August 2019 - 07:45 AM

I own the CEM25P.  It's a fine mount.

I would caution, though, that its 25-lb. capacity, while accurate, is a really hard limit for visual.  And optimistic at best for AP.  My heaviest load for AP is 16 pounds, and it handles that...but just.  

If you stay within its capacity, it's light, accurate, tracks well, guides easily for AP, and a joy to use. :)

• Zeroed4x likes this

#3 WadeH237

WadeH237

Aurora

• Loc: Snohomish, WA

Posted 19 August 2019 - 08:51 AM

If you are planning on doing deep sky imaging with a 30lb payload, the only mounts on your list that I would consider are the EQ6R and the Atlas (which are basically the same mount).

Either one should work well for you.

• rgsalinger, Hesiod and PatrickVt like this

#4 Gipht

Gipht

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Prescott Valley, AZ.

Posted 19 August 2019 - 09:17 AM

Most people do eventually want to use a heavier telescope for AP then will work on a 30# capacity mount, so the Orion Atlas on your list would be the safest best.  Competing mounts are the iOptron CEM 40 and CEM 60.  The CEM 60 has the longest favorable track record of those two, but may be out of your budget.

• PirateMike likes this

#5 PirateMike

PirateMike

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: A Green Dot On A Blue Sea

Posted 19 August 2019 - 09:23 AM

... but may be out of your budget.

How much are you willing to spend for a mount?

Miguel   8-)

• PatrickVt likes this

#6 jerahian

jerahian

Viking 1

• Loc: Maine

Posted 19 August 2019 - 09:57 AM

I have the EQ6-R Pro and I love it. It has a 40lb. rated max capacity, and I’m imaging with about max 30lbs. of gear on it these days, and it handles it flawlessly. For the price, IMO, you can beat what it delivers!

-Ara

#7 EFT

EFT

Vendor - Deep Space Products

• Vendors
  • Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Posted 20 August 2019 - 03:04 AM

1. EQ6-R Pro

2. Atlas EQ-G

Nothing below those two.

• Zeroed4x likes this

#8 photoracer18

photoracer18

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Posted 20 August 2019 - 04:44 PM

I would wait a bit. The new iOptron GEM45 and GEM45 EC are coming out. Same specs as the CEM40 including weight (16#) in a GEM type mount, slightly higher weight capacity, and optional EC encoders. Beefier tripod than the CEM40, same CWs as iEQ45.

• Zeroed4x likes this

#9 Zeroed4x

Zeroed4x

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 August 2019 - 04:58 PM

How much are you willing to spend for a mount?

Miguel   8-)

I want to stay between $800 - $1400. 

#10 Zeroed4x

Zeroed4x

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 August 2019 - 05:20 PM

I own the CEM25P.  It's a fine mount.

I would caution, though, that its 25-lb. capacity, while accurate, is a really hard limit for visual.  And optimistic at best for AP.  My heaviest load for AP is 16 pounds, and it handles that...but just.  

If you stay within its capacity, it's light, accurate, tracks well, guides easily for AP, and a joy to use. smile.gif

The advertised weight limit versus actual payload capacity of mounts has historically always been inflated. I'm planning on about a max load out of 15 - 17 lbs but need a mount rated for at least 25/30 lbs to make it ap friendly.

I'm torturing myself with the thoughts of a future 120 or 130mm APO which would most likely be pushing the limit once loaded out for AP on some of the mounts I've mentioned. 

After taking such a long break from this hobby, the only thing that did not stop was the price increase on all of this gear....... holy mackerel 

#11 EFT

EFT

• Vendors

Posted 20 August 2019 - 05:37 PM

There is no such thing as being over-mounted.  The thing you need to remember is that the applied capacity limit of a mount is not strictly defined as simply half of the rated capacity.  The applied capacity is determined by numerous factors including the weight, length, height, focal length, camera type and various other factors.  Any mount in your list may or may not handle a 17 pound 130mm APO (given it has a reasonable focal ratio of around f/7 or less), but the larger mounts can make it significantly easier.  In general, their designs are also more robust than the smaller mounts.  Using a fast camera like the current CMOS cameras will also help to extend the applied capacity of the mount you choose by shortening your exposure times which lessens the need for perfect guiding.  CMOS cameras are also good matches for refractors due to their small pixel sizes.

• PirateMike and Zeroed4x like this

#12 vsteblina

vsteblina

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Wenatchee, Washington

Posted 20 August 2019 - 07:16 PM

I have a AP900, a Celestron AVX, and a SkyWatcher EQ-G (same as the Orion Atlas).

The AP900 is in a class by itself. The AVX is used for traveling.

The EQ-G is neglected. It is heavy, so did not fit my criteria for a travel scope. It doesn’t come close to the AP900 in usability.

ALL that said.....IF I was limited to one scope and could not afford the AP900 I would buy the EQ-G in a heartbeat. It is a good mount. I don’t like the handpaddle but I probably could learn to appreciate it IF I did not already own the other two mounts.

It is a good mount. A great value for the price. As others have noted, you won’t be disappointed with the mount.

Oh, almost forgot the manual for the EQ is worthless....wait, more than worthless. There is an English “chap” that put together a set of video’s on setting up the mount. Ignore, the manual that comes with the scope.......watch the video’s.

Edited by vsteblina, 20 August 2019 - 07:24 PM.

• Zeroed4x likes this

#13 Zeroed4x

Zeroed4x

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 August 2019 - 07:08 PM

Anyone own or have anything to say about the Celestron CGEM II Equatorial Mount ???

I'm thinking of getting a Celestron 8" Edge Hd on this one. Comments ????

#14 EFT

EFT

• Vendors

Posted 21 August 2019 - 09:23 PM

For what use.  The CGEM II is fine.  Imaging at the native focal length of the C8HD is a bit challenging, but it is a good match with the CGEM II for that purpose since the mount is not stressed by the size of that scope.  The CGEM II is my mount of choice in the current Celestron lineup.

#15 F.Meiresonne

F.Meiresonne

Aurora

• Loc: Eeklo,Belgium

Posted 22 August 2019 - 01:00 AM

Hello, I'm seeking guidance regarding the acquisition of a new Goto German Equatorial Mount. 

I need a respectable payload capability of around 30 lbs.
I plan on using this for observation but also for AP.
If you own any of these, have any knowledge of these mounts or would like to suggest another mount that might be better, please chime in and provide some feed back, thanks. 

I've been looking at the following.

iOptron CEM25P

iOptron iEQ30

Meade LX85

Sky Watcher HEQ5

Sky Watcher EQ6R Pro

Orion Sirius EQ-G

Orion Atlas EQ-G

30 lbs?

Rules out Ioptron CEM25P and IEQ30 Pro IMO

IEQ30 Pro is rated to 13.5 kg (29 lbs) which is overstated in my opion. I would not put nothingmore then 10 kg on it (22 lbs) on that mount

• Zeroed4x likes this

#16 Zeroed4x

Zeroed4x

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 August 2019 - 08:43 PM

30 lbs?

Rules out Ioptron CEM25P and IEQ30 Pro IMO

IEQ30 Pro is rated to 13.5 kg (29 lbs) which is overstated in my opion. I would not put nothingmore then 10 kg on it (22 lbs) on that mount

I plan on using the same mount for a 10" Newtonian, C8 Edge HD and possibly an APO refactor of 18+ lbs or more. 

The only thing that would seriously approach the 30 lbs would be the 10" Newtonian and in that case I would need something rated for better than 40 lbs. What an expensive hobby.......   

• PirateMike likes this

#17 PirateMike

PirateMike

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: A Green Dot On A Blue Sea

Posted 22 August 2019 - 09:40 PM

What an expensive hobby.......   

That is true, this hobby does cost quite a bit.

I would recommend that you limit your current goals of having so many telescopes and start with a single "small setup" until after more funds can be secured and the learning curve has flattened out..

Doing AP is not easy, and it will require a lot more than just a telescope, mount and a camera. Learning all that is needed will take time, using a small scope to it's fullest will also take time.

I would recommend a Sky Watcher EQ6R Pro or better yet would be an Orion AZ/EQ-G along with a (no larger than) 80mm scope.

Another thing... these lower level mounts may need a bit if "fiddling around" to get them to work as best as they can. Nothing in AP is "Plug and Play"!

Miguel   8-)

Edited by PirateMike, 22 August 2019 - 09:41 PM.

• Zeroed4x likes this

#18 F.Meiresonne

F.Meiresonne

Aurora

• Loc: Eeklo,Belgium

Posted 23 August 2019 - 01:29 AM

I plan on using the same mount for a 10" Newtonian, C8 Edge HD and possibly an APO refactor of 18+ lbs or more. 

The only thing that would seriously approach the 30 lbs would be the 10" Newtonian and in that case I would need something rated for better than 40 lbs. What an expensive hobby.......   

C8 may work but a 10 inch newt will be too much imo, might be the same for the APO over 18 lbs, dunno. A user reported the mount was struggling with his C9.25....(IEQ30 pro)

It is a nice mount though , I am testing it , it is well made, axes move real light and smooth, great polar finder clearly illuminated. 8 lines on the handcontroller, GPS ,

I put no more then 5 kg about 9-10 lbs on it and it moves smooth and almost silent.

For visual one might go to 22 lbs depending of the length of the tube, IMO

Well expensive, it does cost some money, but look at all the possibilities one has nowadays....and the choices..

When I was a youngster I had to be thrilled with a 60 mm F/10 on a wobbly mount , wich was very expensive at that time...smirk.gif

A thought :  a HEQ5/Sirius is less expensive then Ioptron and can handle more weight. I had one of the earlier models just with tracking, heavily loaded with a 10 inch F/5 newt and about 25 lbs counterweights.

Mount worked great for visual never had problems,allthough focusing was on the edge for the jiggles...grin.gif

Edited by F.Meiresonne, 23 August 2019 - 01:32 AM.

• Zeroed4x likes this

#19 Zeroed4x

Zeroed4x

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 04 September 2019 - 05:57 PM

I finally pulled the trigger. The Sky Watcher EQ6R Pro won the battle ( in my mind ) of the EQ mounts. I ordered it today from High Point........ now the anxiety of waiting for it to arrive safe and sound...... thanks to all that help with my decision.

#20 KLWalsh

KLWalsh

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: North Georgia, USA

Posted 04 September 2019 - 06:34 PM

Anyone own or have anything to say about the Celestron CGEM II Equatorial Mount ???

I'm thinking of getting a Celestron 8" Edge Hd on this one. Comments ????

I have the (original) CGEM. As originally bought, it was 'ok' for astrophotography. Once I hypertuned it, it was far, far better.

I am quite happy with it. Typically I use it with a Meade SN10 (weight is about 25 lbs) with a Nikon D810A attached, plus a 50 mm f/4 guide scope. With dew straps and cables the total payload is around 30 lbs, and it does quite well.

Here's a recent shot of M33, greatly reduced in resolution from 42MB to 360 KB.

Attached Thumbnails

• M033MM2C.jpg

• Zeroed4x likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: mount, equipment, astrophotography, eq

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics