•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Modify your Sony A6000?

dslr
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Dan Bryan

Dan Bryan

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: KC, MO

Posted 19 August 2019 - 03:47 PM

I own a Sony A6000 and use it for both work images and home or personal images.  Of course I was excited to try it also with my Astronomy hobby so I picked up a T- ring to adapt the camera

to my 10" Dob.  I've had fun imaging the moon, both in video and stills, then extracted and processed to get the best composite image I could. 

Every day I look at specs and reviews on EQ mounts, small refractors, guiding, etc etc and that's something for the future needless to say I want it all right now.... but first I have to decide on a magic combination.

So my question: Is everyone or anyone that owns this A6000 doing the filter modifications?  Since I use the camera for other "intended use" I would really rather not modify it.  I might be finding there's a limit to the quality of imaging I'll 

get from the Sony and would be better off with a little dedicated CCD imaging camera down the road.

Appreciate any ideas or recommendations.

https://youtu.be/e9VeG809-d8

#2 Sam Danigelis

Sam Danigelis

Mariner 2

• Loc: Excelsior Springs, MO

Posted 19 August 2019 - 10:59 PM

Dan, I have the A6000 unmodified (so far smile.gif ).   I use it for moon and DSO's mainly.  I use a ZWO178MC for planetary.   I'm still a beginner in astro imaging, so it's possible that down the road I may change this setup.  But for now, I'm pretty happy with the results.

Attached Thumbnails

• M27 Stacked DSS photoshop and pixlr.jpg

#3 t_image

t_image

Gemini

• -----

Posted 20 August 2019 - 04:07 AM

I own a Sony A6000 and use it for both work images and home or personal images.  Of course I was excited to try it also with my Astronomy hobby so I picked up a T- ring to adapt the camera

to my 10" Dob.  I've had fun imaging the moon, both in video and stills, then extracted and processed to get the best composite image I could. 

Every day I look at specs and reviews on EQ mounts, small refractors, guiding, etc etc and that's something for the future needless to say I want it all right now.... but first I have to decide on a magic combination.

So my question: Is everyone or anyone that owns this A6000 doing the filter modifications?  Since I use the camera for other "intended use" I would really rather not modify it.  I might be finding there's a limit to the quality of imaging I'll 

get from the Sony and would be better off with a little dedicated CCD imaging camera down the road.

Appreciate any ideas or recommendations.

https://youtu.be/e9VeG809-d8

I DIY'd it's cheaper cousin (a5100) myself[no EVF main difference], I also have a pristine a7s not modified.

I like doing IR daytime photography also, so a modded a5100 and modded a7s full spectrum are fun.

But I wouldn't say any combo was 'magic.'

Different tools for different uses.

I've found that buying Canon or Nikon used cheap lenses gives me the ability to use an adapter where I can fit filters in-between the lens and camera.

So I can go full spectrum, or IR block but h-a pass, or IR pass, or NB or normal daytime IR block to give me a semblance of normal camera for normal daytime......

But I like customization options and am comfortable making things work DIY.......

A mod isn't worth it without a mount (unless doing daytime IR),

and a mount gives you more time to collect the H-a anyways....

You'll be fine without the mod until you advance (with optics and tracking mount) and are at a place where you want to go further than what your are doing now....

But you really haven't even started the journey yet.....

don't-worry-about-it!!!!!!

at least for now......

waytogo.gif

#4 Dan Bryan

Dan Bryan

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 August 2019 - 11:08 AM

Dan, I have the A6000 unmodified (so far smile.gif ).   I use it for moon and DSO's mainly.  I use a ZWO178MC for planetary.   I'm still a beginner in astro imaging, so it's possible that down the road I may change this setup.  But for now, I'm pretty happy with the results.

Hey Sam, we're practically neighbors!  Thanks for the comment and the image, looks really nice! 

My journey started this past June with my Dob and I have had many fun LATE therapeutic nights and oh early morningsimawake.gif  and I am loving it!  

I found that the moon is the perfect size for A6000 prime in my Dob.  Removing the camera lens means no zoom capability, the 1250mm is it or wait there's the 1.5x crop factor.... 

Saturn and Jupiter on the other hand are a tad small and look like peas on the screen so I cheated and used my cell phone (bad words in the DSLR group I know) with a little touch of zoom to get Saturn as I have it through one of my EP's.  Shooting afocal through the Meade 5000 UWA EP's (5.5mm or 14mm) is possible, just takes some tinkering to get things lined up properly and be ready to shoot!

Last evening for fun I shot what I call general sky shots with the kit lens (16-50) and the 35mm lens, no telescope, just trying to capture as many dots as I can vs what my eyes can see.  Not processed any of those yet and they are probably going to be nothing to shake a stick at but will be good for testing exposure times along with post processing for noise etc.  I based my exposures on the 500s rule then backed off a few seconds to try and avoid tails.

One thing I am liking about the A6000 is the embedded remote function. I use the remote app on my phone to trip the exposure on the camera so no extra cable or intervalometer needed really.

The "10sec timer - take 5 shots" function is handy also.

Guess I better work some fingertap.gif

Attached Thumbnails

• DB Moon 1.JPG
  • Saturn July.png

#5 Dan Bryan

Dan Bryan

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 August 2019 - 11:17 AM

A mod isn't worth it without a mount (unless doing daytime IR),

and a mount gives you more time to collect the H-a anyways....

You'll be fine without the mod until you advance (with optics and tracking mount) and are at a place where you want to go further than what your are doing now....

But you really haven't even started the journey yet.....

don't-worry-about-it!!!!!!

at least for now......

waytogo.gif

Appreciate the comments t_image.  You definitely have the hardware figured out for the DSLR. 

You are correct I am hardly started but I know myself and how things go when I get wrapped up in something.  The wife knows

the scenario all too well also.  Thank goodness she supports me mentally with whatever I am doing.

• t_image likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics