•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Questar Resources

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Optics Patent

Optics Patent

Surveyor 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Dallas TX

Posted 19 August 2019 - 04:05 PM

Another thread drifted to this topic

Someone asked where the best Questar archives and websites can be found and find out which ones are still operational.

Someone helpfully listed these:

1. The Company Seven* website. Lots of info there, organized like a catalogue, very detailed. Private company, so will be maintained as they choose. (VERY out of date)
  2. Cloudy Nights, here. Different structure, lots of info, but not curated or structured as that's not the structure of the site.
  3. The Yahoo! Questar Users Group**. It was king in its prime (which was a long time ago), but pretty dormant these days. Also not structured or curated.
  4. A couple of members have vast archives of scans of ads, owners manuals, price lists, etc., but don't feel like it's appropriate to name names. At least one is very private, and I wouldn't want to violate that.

My signature links to some articles here, many I have contributed to or found helpful, as well as my QuestarZone YouTube channel with repair videos..

Other resources are:

• Astromart ads - they go back more than a decade.  I've learned lots about the design change history looking at ads.  CN and Ebay ads disappear quickly.
  • An old listing of Questars compiled by individual contribution, and kept at the Yahoo group.  Very out of date and not kept up, but quite helpful.
  • A spreadsheet compilation of Questar models and accessories by catalog date and price - not sure if available at Yahoo**.  (The compiler has an exhaustive collection of scans of virtually every Questar publication ever - some people here will email a friend a pdf of something needed)
  • Internet Archives of certain magazines depicting the entirety of Questar's advertising history.
  • Phone Questar.  They are busy, understaffed, and much quicker to answer the phone than to reply to an email.
  • Rob Pettengil's website.

*Company Seven's website is rather out of date on Questar pricing.  Their excuse has reportedly been that their competitors steal their stuff, but this doesn't ring to true to an IP attorney who knows how easy it is to register a website copyright and powerfully enforce those rights. A price list that's not more than a few years old can be obtained from Questar, or by private messaging your email to someone helpful here.  Questar's site is even more out of date, but they make nice telescopes so I'll let them slide.

**The Yahoo group is non-intuitive and clumsy to sign up and interface with - good luck.

• agmoonsolns likes this

#2 agmoonsolns

agmoonsolns

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Washington

Posted 19 August 2019 - 04:18 PM

Thank you Ben!

#3 daddymouse

daddymouse

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Western Missouri

Posted 20 August 2019 - 09:42 AM

Another thread drifted to this topic

Someone asked where the best Questar archives and websites can be found and find out which ones are still operational.

Someone helpfully listed these:

1. The Company Seven* website. Lots of info there, organized like a catalogue, very detailed. Private company, so will be maintained as they choose. (VERY out of date)
  2. Cloudy Nights, here. Different structure, lots of info, but not curated or structured as that's not the structure of the site.
  3. The Yahoo! Questar Users Group**. It was king in its prime (which was a long time ago), but pretty dormant these days. Also not structured or curated.
  4. A couple of members have vast archives of scans of ads, owners manuals, price lists, etc., but don't feel like it's appropriate to name names. At least one is very private, and I wouldn't want to violate that.

My signature links to some articles here, many I have contributed to or found helpful, as well as my QuestarZone YouTube channel with repair videos..

Other resources are:

• Astromart ads - they go back more than a decade.  I've learned lots about the design change history looking at ads.  CN and Ebay ads disappear quickly.
  • An old listing of Questars compiled by individual contribution, and kept at the Yahoo group.  Very out of date and not kept up, but quite helpful.
  • A spreadsheet compilation of Questar models and accessories by catalog date and price - not sure if available at Yahoo**.  (The compiler has an exhaustive collection of scans of virtually every Questar publication ever - some people here will email a friend a pdf of something needed)
  • Internet Archives of certain magazines depicting the entirety of Questar's advertising history.
  • Phone Questar.  They are busy, understaffed, and much quicker to answer the phone than to reply to an email.
  • Rob Pettengil's website.

*Company Seven's website is rather out of date on Questar pricing.  Their excuse has reportedly been that their competitors steal their stuff, but this doesn't ring to true to an IP attorney who knows how easy it is to register a website copyright and powerfully enforce those rights. A price list that's not more than a few years old can be obtained from Questar, or by private messaging your email to someone helpful here.  Questar's site is even more out of date, but they make nice telescopes so I'll let them slide.

**The Yahoo group is non-intuitive and clumsy to sign up and interface with - good luck.

Company 7 lost my business via their way out of date pricing.  When I was a TOTAL Questar newbie,  I consulted their site, saw the listed price and began planning accordingly.  When I was almost ready to order,  I discovered Astronomics, and that the Q price was MUCH higher than C7 showed.  I confirmed that Astronomics had the best current price and placed my order with them.  They were helpful, courteous and I had my Q in around 5 weeks.  C7's sloppy website cost them a sale and my future business.

#4 Gregory Gross

Gregory Gross

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Pacific Northwest

Posted 20 August 2019 - 01:31 PM

Some additional resources:

#5 Rat8bug

Rat8bug

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Michigan

Posted 05 September 2019 - 10:55 PM

I haven’t been here in ages, but my web is still up.  Haven’t updated it either, but still have the Q FWIW.

http://www.barrie-ta...m/questar1.html

Ciao....Barry

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics