•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Anyone seen FITS this PI error?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 PhotonHunter1

PhotonHunter1

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Northwest IL (for now)

Posted 19 August 2019 - 04:05 PM

When I was Image Calibrating my Ha flats (50 flats images) the first 26 went fine, images 27-50 blew up on me with the following error. Consequently, I am unable to even open the Flats image? All 50 OIII images have this error? Any ideas what is causing this error? Do I need to re-shoot my Flats?

Legacy Fits Format Support error.png

Thanks in advance for your help.

#2 jdupton

jdupton

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Central Texas, USA

Posted 19 August 2019 - 05:47 PM

Mike,

Good question. I just had an occurrence of that same problem on a file from last night's imaging session. For me it was only for one file. I had never seen that before.

For my case, the image file time-stamp coincided with the time of a laptop crash / reboot. I wrote if off as an uncompleted file write to disk due to the crash. I suspect the file was corrupted although the file size looked normal.

It is odd that you had multiple files showing the error. Which capture program did you use for the session? (I was using SGP.) Were there any other system errors reported during the span of time corresponding to the bad files?

John

#3 PhotonHunter1

PhotonHunter1

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 19 August 2019 - 06:49 PM

Mike,

Good question. I just had an occurrence of that same problem on a file from last night's imaging session. For me it was only for one file. I had never seen that before.

For my case, the image file time-stamp coincided with the time of a laptop crash / reboot. I wrote if off as an uncompleted file write to disk due to the crash. I suspect the file was corrupted although the file size looked normal.

It is odd that you had multiple files showing the error. Which capture program did you use for the session? (I was using SGP.) Were there any other system errors reported during the span of time corresponding to the bad files?

John

John, I was using SGP and the Flats wizard module. I also posted this on the PI Forum the lone response so far said it could be due to full disk, however my hard drive is not close to full. Basically, out of 100 Flats (50 Ha and O3 each) the first 26 were fine, the balance bombed. Guess I'm shooting flats again... Due to work schedule, I'll post by the end of the week whether or not the new round worked.

#4 PhotonHunter1

PhotonHunter1

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 31 August 2019 - 10:04 AM

Just closing the loop on this one. I re-imaged my flats and dark flats, and Image Calibrated with no errors. Not sure what went wrong with the previous set of images but we're back on track. Thanks to all for your input and advice.

#5 Monkeybird747

Monkeybird747

Viking 1

• Loc: Louisville, KY

Posted 31 August 2019 - 08:03 PM

I had this the other day shooting my dark library. My disk had filled up toward the end of the library and several files were corrupted. Some file sizes were normal, some were 0kb, and some in between. It seems this error is to do with files that have become corrupted in some way.

#6 jhayes_tucson

jhayes_tucson

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Bend, OR

Posted 31 August 2019 - 11:31 PM

I've never seen this error but I have to ask a question.  Why are you shooting 50 flats for each channel?  Are you shooting sky flats or panel flats?

John

#7 PhotonHunter1

PhotonHunter1

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 01 September 2019 - 12:53 AM

I've never seen this error but I have to ask a question.  Why are you shooting 50 flats for each channel?  Are you shooting sky flats or panel flats?

John

I was under the impression that you needed a set of flats for each filter/per DSO and have always done it this way. Please don't tell me I only need one set of flats that can be used across all my filters/per DSO? [edit] I’m shooting flats with a flats box I built. 

Edited by PhotonHunter1, 01 September 2019 - 01:17 AM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics