•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Anyone else unintentionally have a "2nd scope" refractor take over everything?

• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

#1 PPPPPP42

PPPPPP42

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Wisconsin

Posted 19 August 2019 - 04:26 PM

I feel like I need to go to my CPC800 and give the classic "I'm sorry but I've met someone else" speech.

I think laziness over taking my CPC out and setting it up and in incredible deal ($1500 new as a silver grade refurb) were my reasons for getting my refractor (see signature) as a second scope just to get me outside viewing more.  But somehow I have unintentionally gotten to the point that its the only scope I need.

I get that larger apertures give me a bigger view on planetary (with good seeing) and let me see more for DSO's (in dark skies), but the views with this scope are just so much better quality than I was used to not to mention easier and faster to get going that now its the CPC that is going out the door and I don't think I will bother with another scope until somewhere later in life in hopefully darker skies (it gets into the dark blues on the light map within 1/2 hour of here) with a fixed artillery position sized dob that can show me enough to be worthwhile over what I have now.

I almost laughed when I read the ad for the 20" $8000 dob that said you can see "a hint of color in deep sky objects".  If everything between that and my 5" is just more black and white detail I'm not sure I will have the inclination to bother even then.  Zero collimation and essentially no cool down time with the ability to easily move it anywhere spoils a person fast.

Anyone else suddenly find their small to mid sized refractor purchase has pushed larger scopes to the sidelines?

• Scott in NC, Don Allen, stevew and 3 others like this

#2 havasman

havasman

Cosmos

• ****-
  • Loc: Dallas, Texas

Posted 19 August 2019 - 04:31 PM

Prob'ly, but certainly not me. Of course mine aren't "competing" against an SCT.

Edited by havasman, 19 August 2019 - 04:31 PM.

• Jon Isaacs likes this

#3 MalVeauX

MalVeauX

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Florida

Posted 19 August 2019 - 04:32 PM

Yes,

But solely due to being a slave to convenience. The views do not defeat a significantly larger aperture instrument even in poor conditions. It's just so much more convenient. No anticipation, just instant gratification. My 8" Edge HD mops the floor with my little 80mm, 120mm, etc, refractors. And my 250mm kills all of them. But ultimately, I use the 80mm and 120mm more because.... I'm a slave to convenience and I might just use it for 5 minutes and go inside. I have way more refractors than everything else, because they're small and its easy to get several small refractors. I do not have tons of big 8~16" scopes laying around. I have several 8" scopes, but over that it starts to get into singles real quick. But 80mm or near that? Lots. Too many even. They're just so simple and fast to use. Convenient.

Very best,

Edited by MalVeauX, 19 August 2019 - 04:32 PM.

• BGazing, db2005 and Jond105 like this

#4 photoracer18

photoracer18

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Posted 19 August 2019 - 04:38 PM

Ditto on all of this. I have a ton of telescopes and mounts and yes some of the smaller scopes get used more just because its easier. But I would still use the bigger scopes for a more important outing.

• stevew likes this

#5 f430

f430

Messenger

• Loc: La Mesa, CA.

Posted 19 August 2019 - 04:39 PM

Nope. 

My 11" Edge HD is still my favorite!

#6 Jond105

Jond105

Soyuz

• Moderators
  • Loc: Detroit

Posted 19 August 2019 - 04:40 PM

That’s exactly why I have one scope now. This past winter I had a 100Ed and a 10” dob. Took about the same amount of time for each to get outside. As time progressed, it was strictly the 100ED. I’m not a sitter when it comes to observing, so the refractor was always at a more comfortable level. I live in light polluted skies, way worse than most. I can’t get to dark sites due to family and work coming first. 

So so I sold it all for a 120ED and have been satisfied night in and night out. 

Attached Thumbnails

• E716DB95-8224-409D-99BC-923C53222C00.jpeg

• tony_spina, Mihai, RAKing and 4 others like this

#7 dscarpa

dscarpa

Soyuz

• Loc: San Diego Ca.

Posted 19 August 2019 - 04:56 PM

For quite a while after I got my used WO ZS110 triplet on a new WO EZTouch I didn't use my C9.25XLT on a CG5 very often. Part of it was not having to do an alignment with the WO but some of it was that refractor quality of image. Later on the SCT was put on a alt-az mount too and it got used more.  The refractor is very capable but the SCT does show a lot more except for wide field and L&P on nights of bad seeing. Your refactor is bigger than mine and probably shows more. My most used night scope now is a bought used IM715D mak on a Giro which has refractor like images but with quite a bit more aperture than the WO ZS110 which is now on a Twilight II. The refractor has an advantage over the cats that it doesn't have to be uncovered have the dew shield put on or off and recovered  so it usually goes out on those might be cloudy nights.  David

Edited by dscarpa, 19 August 2019 - 05:52 PM.

• pugliano likes this

#8 bobito

bobito

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Litchfield County, CT

Posted 19 August 2019 - 04:58 PM

When I bought my first refractor (APM 140 ED) my 12" SCT didn't see the sky for almost a year.  But now the SCT goes out pretty regularly.  I mostly use the SCT in Summer on galaxies and globulars and the refractor in winter for the larger open star clusters.

• BRCoz, beanerds, BGazing and 1 other like this

#9 Scott in NC

Scott in NC

Refractor Fanatic

• Administrators
  • Loc: NC

Posted 19 August 2019 - 05:19 PM

Anyone else suddenly find their small to mid sized refractor purchase has pushed larger scopes to the sidelines?

My story is very similar to yours.  My first "real" scope was a Meade LX90 8" SCT that I bought in 2002.  A couple of years later I decided to buy a Stellarvue 80/9D (80mm f/9.4 doublet achromat) just so I'd have a smaller scope to take outside on those nights when I didn't feel like hauling out the larger SCT.  I figured I'd use the refractor every now and then, but the SCT would remain my main scope.  How wrong I was!  The purchase of that 80mm achromat was what began my love of refractors.  I still have the 8" SCT, but it's lucky if it gets taken outside a couple times a year.  Over 95% of my observing is now done with refractors.

• BRCoz, doctordub, stevew and 4 others like this

#10 ris242

ris242

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Wellington, New Zealand

Posted 19 August 2019 - 05:41 PM

That’s exactly why I have one scope now. This past winter I had a 100Ed and a 10” dob. Took about the same amount of time for each to get outside. As time progressed, it was strictly the 100ED. I’m not a sitter when it comes to observing, so the refractor was always at a more comfortable level. I live in light polluted skies, way worse than most. I can’t get to dark sites due to family and work coming first. 

So so I sold it all for a 120ED and have been satisfied night in and night out. 

You need to paint the 100ED gold and the Dob Silver/Blue and you could have a real star wars moment out there. lol.gif

#11 Jond105

Jond105

Soyuz

• Moderators
  • Loc: Detroit

Posted 19 August 2019 - 05:47 PM

You need to paint the 100ED gold and the Dob Silver/Blue and you could have a real star wars moment out there. lol.gif

lol.gif That be a good one. Unfortunately I don’t own them anymore to do that. 

#12 Spikey131

Spikey131

Viking 1

Posted 19 August 2019 - 06:16 PM

No, because they are bolted together:  

Attached Thumbnails

• EDEF7636-AA32-485B-B180-E65BA263A3A9.jpeg

• Scott in NC, Don Allen, stevew and 7 others like this

#13 pdxmoon

pdxmoon

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Oregon

Posted 19 August 2019 - 06:45 PM

Yes. Enter the  TV 85...

tv85foot.jpg

• stevew, Lewis Cason, ken30809 and 3 others like this

#14 HydrogenAlpha

HydrogenAlpha

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Singapore

Posted 19 August 2019 - 07:05 PM

A few years back I had an 8" GSO imaging newt as my main telescope. I then decided to get a used FS60CB because I wanted a more portable setup, wider fov and also just to own a Tak. Eventually it ended up taking over from my newt entirely because it gave me sharper images (even when cropped to the same scale) compared to the GSO. It may have been the fault of the coma corrector on the GSO that gave it softer views, but I didn't end up figuring out because the FS60 was just more convenient overall. The end result was a 2.4" replacing an 8". 

#15 Ballyhoo

Ballyhoo

Soyuz

• Loc: San Diego

Posted 19 August 2019 - 07:33 PM

I feel like I need to go to my CPC800 and give the classic "I'm sorry but I've met someone else" speech.

I think laziness over taking my CPC out and setting it up and in incredible deal ($1500 new as a silver grade refurb) were my reasons for getting my refractor (see signature) as a second scope just to get me outside viewing more.  But somehow I have unintentionally gotten to the point that its the only scope I need.

I get that larger apertures give me a bigger view on planetary (with good seeing) and let me see more for DSO's (in dark skies), but the views with this scope are just so much better quality than I was used to not to mention easier and faster to get going that now its the CPC that is going out the door and I don't think I will bother with another scope until somewhere later in life in hopefully darker skies (it gets into the dark blues on the light map within 1/2 hour of here) with a fixed artillery position sized dob that can show me enough to be worthwhile over what I have now.

I almost laughed when I read the ad for the 20" $8000 dob that said you can see "a hint of color in deep sky objects".  If everything between that and my 5" is just more black and white detail I'm not sure I will have the inclination to bother even then.  Zero collimation and essentially no cool down time with the ability to easily move it anywhere spoils a person fast.

Sadly, my 16" Dob just collects dust. This happened after my first image from my refractor.  I mean, how can I ever see as much as from imaging with my 85mm refractor? Well, imaging from my 5" refractor.  my 8" SCT is a bit of a bother because it is so temperamental on the imaging train.

#16 t.r.

t.r.

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: 1123,6536,5321

Posted 19 August 2019 - 07:56 PM

When the TV Genesis first came out it sent my C8 to the closet for years! It was my first taste of apo refractorness and I was spoiled by its views forever. I see the value in them complimenting each other now...back then...the Genesis was the new girl in town! 🤩
  • doctordub, Bonco2 and 25585 like this

#17 DeanS

DeanS

Skylab

• Loc: Central Kentucky

Posted 19 August 2019 - 08:08 PM

Yep, it happens.

My 12" F/4 dob only goes out to monthly public sessions.  My 18" Zambuto starmaster has not see dark skies in probably a year.  And even with both of them on wheel barrow handles which move easily, I still roll out the DM6 with TEC160 most of the time.

I tell myself I need to sell the 18 but when I finally do take it out, dang it is sweet.

Good problems we have :)

• doctordub, ken30809 and Jond105 like this

#18 Allan Wade

Allan Wade

Soyuz

• Loc: Newcastle, Australia

Posted 19 August 2019 - 08:13 PM

Not for me. I love my refractors, but my dob is and always will be my primary observing scope.

• Jon Isaacs, Doug Culbertson, turtle86 and 1 other like this

#19 stevew

stevew

Now I've done it

• Loc: British Columbia Canada

Posted 19 August 2019 - 08:21 PM

I made my 16 inch Dobsonian in 1994 from a Meade Starfinder. It was my main scope for years and years. These days it only gets out once or twice a year.

Typically when going to our local observing site or just for an hour or so in the back yard, I bring one of my refractors or my C8.

They really complement each other well. The refractor has the high contrast wide field views, while the C8 brings more light gathering, and much larger image scale to the table..

Once I get to retirement age, I plan to cull the heard a little just hang on to a good four inch refractor, and either a C8, or 10 inch Dobsonian….

#20 kksmith

kksmith

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Montana

Posted 19 August 2019 - 10:44 PM

Yep! I got back into this endeavor after a forty something year hiatus and my first purchase was my dream scope from my teenage years - a fork mounted C-8 on a wedge. It got pumped to the curb by a ST-80 mounted on a Twilight Nano - Grab-n-Go vs grab and go and grab and go then mount the C-8...and wait for the scope to cool. With ST80 I could walk out the door with everything and easily move it around in the backyard. Now a 102/F5 mounted on the Twilight - still can walk out the door with the complete kit in my hands. I have fallen in love with the ability to easily "Scoot and Look" without the wait time. But the C-8 does occasionally come out - when I want more aperture, but hardly as much as the refractors. The K.I.S.S. applies to everything in life.

Ken

• Jond105 likes this

#21 25585

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: In a valley, in the UK.

Posted 19 August 2019 - 11:15 PM

Yes. Enter the  TV 85...

attachicon.gif tv85foot.jpg

+1

#22 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 20 August 2019 - 05:50 AM

Not for me. I love my refractors, but my dob is and always will be my primary observing scope.

That is pretty much how it is for me.  Refractors and Dobs are complementary but the bigger scopes get the most use because of the views they provide.  Easy to setup is great but easy enough to setup with some real horsepower is the bees knees.  For me, energy needed for the extra effort comes from the excitement ahead, what will I be seeing.  

Jon

• Doug Culbertson, eklf, clearwaterdave and 1 other like this

#23 gnowellsct

gnowellsct

Hubble

Posted 20 August 2019 - 06:48 AM

My best times this summer were with c14 plus 92mm. But that was for one week in the mountains. Everything else has been the 5 inch apo because of weather, moon, smoke from Siberia (no joke).

If I had a good 6 hour night ahead I'd leave the 5 inch at home.

#24 MSWcdavis

MSWcdavis

Viking 1

Posted 20 August 2019 - 08:57 AM

I had a 4” ES 102ed about a year after an xx12i. I was just never happy with that xx12i. It wasn’t as good as my 8” dob in many ways which I had sold for the xx12i. So I used the 4” a lot. Then I sold the xx12i and got a Starmaster.

Now I have limited to no interest in using a 4” refractor (which I keep buying and selling - thinking I really need one just in case).

My 16.5 Starmaster provides apo-like 1/10 wave views at the eyepiece and is fairly widefield. Enough for Florida modestly dark skies anyway

I recently got a Skywatcher 120 and that’s my new grab and go for views of moon and planets in my light polluted city. 4” may be done for me but I may hold on to 4” achro for wide sweeps and cheap looks on overnighters at dark skies when my Dob finally dews up at 2 or 3am.

Edited by MSWcdavis, 20 August 2019 - 08:57 AM.

#25 Seanem44

Seanem44

Vanguard

• Loc: Stafford, VA

Posted 20 August 2019 - 09:06 AM

If I'm not careful my Redcat 51 might just do that to my ESPRIT 100ED.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics