•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

How To Keep A Scope Cool Under a Telegizmos 365

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Kent10

Kent10

Skylab

• topic starter

Posted 19 August 2019 - 04:37 PM

I usually bring my Tec 180FL in after a night of viewing.  However, the other night so many mosquitoes entered our house while packing up, I decided to leave the scope set up and under a Telegizmos 365 cover.  The next night I took the cover off and started viewing.  The views were amongst the worst I have ever seen.  I think the scope had heated up under the cover and I hadn’t cooled it by removing the cover earlier so you could see the slow swirling heat plumes on out of focus stars.

Tonight I am going to remove the cover as soon as the sun goes down or earlier when shady to cool the scope.

I expected because the scope was outside it would already be acclimated and I was looking forward to just removing the cover to start viewing.  But it appears I still have to cool it down by removing the cover early.  I wonder if my views will be compromised or the cooling process will be much longer because the scope becomes so warm under the cover.  Temperatures drop quite quickly here.

Does anyone have any experience to share?  Is there a way to keep the scope from heating up so much.  Do you remove the cover a couple hours before viewing to cool the scope?  The bottom was not sealed shut but I don’t know if that would help.  Perhaps taking the cover off early enough will be fine.

Thanks for any suggestions!

#2 mdowns

mdowns

Vanguard

• Loc: Englewood,FL

Posted 19 August 2019 - 04:50 PM

I have two scopes (c11 and 7mak) that live 24/7 under the 365s.I always uncover at least an hour before viewing and never have any problems with thermals.The bottom of both my covers are always open.I don't want to create a sauna inside the cover,here in my environment of southern Florida.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0266.JPG

• Jeff B, Scott99, Paul Morow and 2 others like this

#3 Astro-Master

Astro-Master

Messenger

• ****-

Posted 19 August 2019 - 05:09 PM

To speed up the cool down time, you can always cover the Telegizmo cover with an umbrella or a silver space blanket to keep it cooler during the day, then remove it when its in the shade.

• Jon Isaacs likes this

#4 Kent10

Kent10

Skylab

• topic starter

Posted 19 August 2019 - 05:19 PM

Thanks.  Nice picture mdowns. 

Astro-Master.  One thing that crossed my mind is that the silver part of the cover is on the inside.  I don't think they were meant to be turned inside out but having the silver on the outside would probably help like the cheaper Telegizmos covers.  I know some use a blanket on the inside to protect the silver lining that is prone to ripping.  I wonder how much that will help to keep the scope cool or if putting a silver blanket on the outside as you suggest is a better option.  The umbrella might work too but I would be worried about keeping it there and using it all the time in case it got windy and then fell onto the scope.  I also don't have a lot of room.  Thanks for the great ideas.

#5 Jeff B

Jeff B

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 19 August 2019 - 05:59 PM

I've had my TEC 200ED "under cover" now for four seasons, my 11" F7 newt for a year and a half and an AP 900 mount about a year.  The scopes, mounts and covers have held up extremely well.  Only issues for me are Asian Ladybugs and Stink Bugs getting up under the cover in the fall, an occasional wasp nest, a bit of condensation in the Gemini controller (I now take it inside or store it outside in a small case) and having to clean a bit of mold/alge off of the covers once or twice a year (when done so, they come out looking like new).  

The scopes do heat up a few degrees over ambient but that's about it and I take the covers off when the scopes are in shadow so I've had no thermal issues really.  

The doffing and donning of the bag for the big TEC 200ED takes about 5 minutes each way, about 6-7 minutes for the newt (it's cover is bigger, heavier and the front and back of the OTA are sealed with regular Telegizmos covers underneath the 365 cover), and about a minute for the one covering just a mount.  Maybe a bit slower in the winter as the covers are a bit stiffer and harder to manipulate in the cold....just like me.

Great stuff!

Jeff

Attached Thumbnails

• Trio B.jpg
  • Bagged and Tagged.jpg

Edited by Jeff B, 19 August 2019 - 06:01 PM.

• mdowns and ngc7319_20 like this

#6 ngc7319_20

ngc7319_20

Apollo

• Loc: MD

Posted 19 August 2019 - 05:59 PM

I think the design of the Telegizmos 365 is that the white outer cover is waterproof.  Not sure what will happen if you turn it inside out.  Might get water inside between the layers.

I use one of these 10' x 10' gazebo / canopies over the scope + Telegizmos cover.  You need the kind with 100% sun blocking.  It can be tied down with stakes and ropes.  Works OK keeping the sun off.  It does increase the time to uncover the scope by 10 to 15 min.

https://www.walmart....anopy/981196423

https://www.walmart....verage/23428073

#7 Jeff B

Jeff B

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 19 August 2019 - 06:04 PM

Close ups of the 365 cover for the Newt.

Jeff

Attached Thumbnails

• Newtonian Bagged and Tagged.jpg
  • Parallax Zambuto F7 Bb.jpg

• Scott99, mdowns and ngc7319_20 like this

#8 Kent10

Kent10

Skylab

• topic starter

Posted 19 August 2019 - 07:17 PM

Thanks everyone.  This is great.  I am so glad you are all having success with your covers.

Jeff, you might recall I will be using a Telegizmos 365 when my Tec 200FL is ready hopefully in the next couple months or so.  Using one on my 180 has been a good test in preparation.  It is good to know the cover is going to heat the scope a few degrees above ambient so I can prepare for that.  The gazebos would certainly cut some time off the cooling.  I hope I can get mine cool enough soon enough without a gazebo.  It might be better to take the cover off later in the day even if there is a little sun hitting the scope.  I'll have to experiment.  I am not sure I will always be available to uncover the scope early enough so I will have to figure out if it is worth uncovering in the morning in preparation for the evening as long as I know it won't rain.  Will the direct sun heat the scope less than being under the cover?  Maybe not!

I have always wondered how long it takes to doff and don.  I don't want to rip the cover and I believe a ladder will be necessary for the 200.  Jeff, you haven't had any problems with the cover ripping?  That's great.  I have read quite a few who have and so they use some other sort of protection for the cover.  I guess you just have to do it slowly and be careful.  The 200 will require an expensive custom cover so I want to be careful.

Are those red clips to hold an elastic in place?  I don't think the covers come with such an elastic do they?

Thanks again.

#9 mich_al

mich_al

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Rural central lower Michigan Yellow Skies

Posted 19 August 2019 - 07:38 PM

Give the 365 cover shade during the hot Sun.  Mine has a remote reading thermometer underneath and it shows the shade makes a huge difference.  Uncover it early and blow air over it if you can.  Cover all underneath with something to protect the 365 inner silver lining.

#10 Kent10

Kent10

Skylab

• topic starter

Posted 19 August 2019 - 07:45 PM

Thanks for the advice, Al.  I also bought a remote thermometer and it reads humidity too.  And I have 2 Eva-dry dehumidifiers and will have to see how those work.  I live in Arizona where it is quite dry anyway.

https://www.amazon.c.../dp/B00BD0FN8A 

#11 Jeff B

Jeff B

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 20 August 2019 - 10:54 AM

Kent, the outer cover has been completely fine with no signs of tearing, just dirt, some mold and bird dung, which cleans off easily. 

Now, the scopes and mounts do have projections like finder scopes and focusers which can and do abrade the inner, shiny liner a little down by the bottom of the cover.  But this standard, inner liner cover material is really very durable.  Just be careful. 

The straps and clips you see I got at my local Ace hardware store.  Ace is the place.  For the TEC and mount installations, I cinch the strap under the counterweight shaft as this keeps the cover on in high winds.  I found out the hard way that cinching the strap on over the tops of the counter weights allowed the wind to get under the cover, loosening strap and actually letting the 15 pound cover lift completely off in high winds.  But cinching the strap over the counter weight tops works just fine for the Newt as the cover drapes over the ground.  The clips really help hold the strap tight.     

As my covers have my house to the west, they are in shade after about 6:30 to 7:00 in the mid summer now so there is plenty of time for me before sunset to uncover them.  Actually, if I un-bag the TEC too soon, birds have a habit of perching on the dew shield (they also perch there with the cover on).   Not good.  This is why I leave the end cap on until about an hour before observing. 

Jeff

#12 ngc7319_20

ngc7319_20

Apollo

Posted 20 August 2019 - 12:00 PM

You probably do want to put something soft over your scope before placing the Telegizmos 365 on there.  I've found some of the metallic (aluminum?) coating on the cover will transfer to the scope if they rub together.  Its most noticeable on my older black C14.  Something like a blanket gives you a bit more insulation and prevents rubbing. 

#13 Scott99

Scott99

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: New England

Posted 20 August 2019 - 12:59 PM

Jeff, that 11-inch f/7 Zambuto/Parallax Newt looks awesome!  We don't get to see that in the refractor forum enough I guess lol.gif  will have to head over to the reflector forum more often.....

#14 peleuba

peleuba

Surveyor 1

• Loc: North of Baltimore, MD

Posted 20 August 2019 - 01:54 PM

I've had my TEC 200ED "under cover" now for four seasons, my 11" F7 newt for a year and a half and an AP 900 mount about a year.  The scopes, mounts and covers have held up extremely well.  Only issues for me are Asian Ladybugs and Stink Bugs getting up under the cover in the fall, an occasional wasp nest, a bit of condensation in the Gemini controller (I now take it inside or store it outside in a small case) and having to clean a bit of mold/alge off of the covers once or twice a year (when done so, they come out looking like new).  

The scopes do heat up a few degrees over ambient but that's about it and I take the covers off when the scopes are in shadow so I've had no thermal issues really.  

The doffing and donning of the bag for the big TEC 200ED takes about 5 minutes each way, about 6-7 minutes for the newt (it's cover is bigger, heavier and the front and back of the OTA are sealed with regular Telegizmos covers underneath the 365 cover), and about a minute for the one covering just a mount.  Maybe a bit slower in the winter as the covers are a bit stiffer and harder to manipulate in the cold....just like me.

Great stuff!

Jeff

Yes - like Jeff says a little warmer then outside temps, but not too bad.  I worry about the humidity.  Here in the mid-Atlantic humidity is a factor for about 8 months a year.  I have not had much luck with the dry-rod type of heater/dehumidifiers that are used for gun safes.  I use a home brew combo of a ski-boot warmer and Lymax SCT cooler.  I don't really want to heat up anything, just keep air currents flowing under the covers.  

You probably do want to put something soft over your scope before placing the Telegizmos 365 on there.  I've found some of the metallic (aluminum?) coating on the cover will transfer to the scope if they rub together.  Its most noticeable on my older black C14.  Something like a blanket gives you a bit more insulation and prevents rubbing. 

Yes - agree.  I use a towel.  But the towel (or a blanket) absorbs moisture, so it can/does on occasion get damp.  I don't think Kent will have that problem...

Here is my setup.  I've run 120v (house current) underground to the mount.  In the past, I used a Pyramid power supply in a water proof box, but it was unwieldy.  To this end, I purchased parts from DigiKey and made my own PS and installed it into a grey pole mount weather-proof box.

This setup with the C-9.25 has increased the time I spend observing a lot.  I am out the door with an eyepiece case and hand controller, Then its 2 minutes to uncover, turn on the mount and perform a 2-star alignment.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_1205 (Medium).JPG
  • Outdoor setup.jpg

Edited by peleuba, 20 August 2019 - 02:47 PM.

• ngc7319_20 likes this

#15 peleuba

peleuba

Surveyor 1

Posted 20 August 2019 - 01:56 PM

Actually, if I un-bag the TEC too soon, birds have a habit of perching on the dew shield (they also perch there with the cover on). 

True that.  Has happened with regularity to my C9.25

#16 Kent10

Kent10

Skylab

• topic starter

Posted 20 August 2019 - 05:09 PM

Thanks everyone.  My Tec 200 is just around the corner and this is all very helpful.  I was out again last night but this time I uncovered the Tec 180 while the sun was setting.  There was a little sun hitting the scope but it wasn't as hot as in the middle of the day.  Views were much better than the night before when I only removed the cover directly before viewing.  But I still thought I saw some tube thermals in the out of focus stars.  Maybe I will need to tilt the scope down so the diagonal end is pointed up to let the heated air out.

Right, Paul, I don't have to worry about humidity much here in Flagstaff.  During monsoon season it can be a little humid at night and we get frost sometimes in the winter but it is usually very dry.

I have photography stands that I use to block light from the neighbors.  I put blankets up and clamp them on.  It is very successful and I have over 100 pounds of sand bags on each stand to keep them from blowing over in the wind.  I could use this set up to shade my scope but moving everything and all the weights is going to be time consuming unless I am able to keep everything in place and it doesn't get in the way.  Once I get the 200 I will have to see if it is necessary or if I should use something else.  I want the scope to be cooled enough for the best views possible but I also don't want to spend too much time fiddling with everything to get started viewing.

Very nice setup you have there, Paul.  What a huge yard.  I have been following Jeff's setup of his 200 for years and it is the reason I went for the 200.

• 3 i Guy likes this

#17 peleuba

peleuba

Surveyor 1

Posted 21 August 2019 - 08:08 AM

Very nice setup you have there, Paul.  What a huge yard.  I have been following Jeff's setup of his 200 for years and it is the reason I went for the 200.

Thanks!  Its about an acre and a half, but not as big as it looks.  The broken-down wooden Swingset in the background of one of the photos is the neighbors!  

Here is a pic that I took just last night with the TeleGizmo 365 covers still on.  I had plans to spend about 60 mins with Jupiter and Saturn, but the clouds never left until after my window to observe closed.  

Your TEC200 will be excellent, I am sure.

Attached Thumbnails

• CoverSCT.jpg

Edited by peleuba, 21 August 2019 - 08:14 AM.

#18 Kent10

Kent10

Skylab

• topic starter

Posted 21 August 2019 - 09:36 AM

Nice.  Thanks Paul.  I have a very small backyard and the lawn is getting thin from my walking on it observing every night.

I am really looking forward to the Tec 200.  I have been waiting a long time since Yuri mentioned he was going to start making them again.

I am most looking forward to observing at zenith.  With the 180 on the DM-6 it is difficult.  The 200 on an AP 1100 should work.  I'll find out soon, I hope.

#19 peleuba

peleuba

Surveyor 1

Posted 21 August 2019 - 10:01 AM

Nice.  Thanks Paul.  I have a very small backyard and the lawn is getting thin from my walking on it observing every night.

Flagstaff is one of my all time favorite places.  I am in Sedona, every other year usually in November for a little R/R and we always drive up 89A to Flag for a day or two.  My oldest got accepted to Northern Arizona University, but decided to go elsewhere...  I was bummed.  

The TEC200 on an AP1100 will be awesome.  

• 3 i Guy likes this

#20 Kent10

Kent10

Skylab

• topic starter

Posted 21 August 2019 - 10:23 AM

We love the area.  I was living in central Texas when on business I visited Phoenix.  We had a couple extra days so we visited Sedona and The Grand Canyon.  It was my 1st taste of nature.  I had done my studies in Philadelphia and Rochester NY.  I loved the East Coast cities for the arts but after experiencing Sedona, I told my wife we should move to Flagstaff if we can.  A job became available and we moved.  I took a huge pay cut to be here but we still think it is worth it.  "Poverty with a view."  But at least I have my scopes and a dark and clear sky!

• peleuba, 3 i Guy, Paul Morow and 1 other like this

#21 3 i Guy

3 i Guy

Messenger

• Loc: Tampa, FL

Posted 21 August 2019 - 11:07 AM

I am really looking forward to the Tec 200.  I have been waiting a long time since Yuri mentioned he was going to start making them again.

I am most looking forward to observing at zenith.  With the 180 on the DM-6 it is difficult.  The 200 on an AP 1100 should work.  I'll find out soon, I hope.

Your wait is almost over Kent, mine is just beginning. When I put my deposit down 2 months ago, Yuri told the vendor that mine would be ready at the beginning of the year. I laughed to myself knowing it would be at least a year. It’ll be ready when it’s ready. 

Mark

#22 Kent10

Kent10

Skylab

• topic starter

Posted 21 August 2019 - 11:36 AM

Hi Mark,

Yes I feel it is getting very close now.  The lenses must be off getting coated.  Just guessing.  Yuri made 10 sets in this run so yours might not take so much longer than mine.  I keep wondering how it all works but I don't want to ask Yuri and take his time.  Do they make 10 sets (I think they are done this step), send them all off to get coated and then when they return, just fit them into the tube, test, pack and send off.  Sounds easy enough but I must be missing something.

#23 Jeff B

Jeff B

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 21 August 2019 - 01:22 PM

"The 200 on an AP 1100 should work."

You bet and that will be just fine.  It was the first mount my 200ED was sitting on.  High capacity and It's really nice to be able to lock the clutches as then, when you're doffing and donning the cover, you don't have to worry about loosing alignment or even needing to "recalibrate" most of the time.  The only reason I sold the 1100 mount was that I got a great deal on a local MI-250 in excellent condition.  It works just as nicely but was also a lot less expensive.

I doff and don the cover in the Park 3 position.  I rack the focuser all the way in and the diagonal upside down with the Denk Bino-Tron/power switch assembly firmly secured in the diagonal (AP) with the thumb screw so they don't interfere with the cover.  Using an 8 foot ladder, I slip the open bottom of the cover over the top of the dew shield and just keep sliding it over and down the OTA.  It bunches up against the front of the finder so when I get off of the ladder, I just lift the bunched up cover up over the finder and down into place.  Then I cinch the strap around the bottom of the cover and slide a small foldable plastic table and my observing chair up under the cover a bit for some protection from the weather.  Done!  Really very easy and I've got the technique down pat.

Jeff   

Edited by Jeff B, 21 August 2019 - 01:25 PM.

#24 Kent10

Kent10

Skylab

• topic starter

Posted 21 August 2019 - 05:15 PM

Thanks very much for describing how it is all done, Jeff.  I can picture it in my mind and one day soon it will be reality.  Can't wait.

I have one of these ladders.  I bought it because these are very safe.  It should be high enough but if not I will get another.

https://www.amazon.c...0?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I still need a strap and clips or do you think there is something better.  I found this so far.  It looks like what you might be using.  I am not sure though.

https://www.amazon.c...3RNEWQU9ZI&th=1

https://www.acehardw...e-downs/8435406

Thanks again, Jeff!

#25 ngc7319_20

ngc7319_20

Apollo

Posted 21 August 2019 - 05:19 PM

I still need a strap and clips or do you think there is something better.  I found this so far.  It looks like what you might be using.  I am not sure though.

https://www.amazon.c...3RNEWQU9ZI&th=1

https://www.acehardw...e-downs/8435406

Thanks again, Jeff!

Usually the TeleGizmos covers come with a couple of the red clamps.  Not sure what they are for actually....

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics