•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Gearing Up for a Morning of Imaging This Wednesday

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 aeroman4907

aeroman4907

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Castle Rock, Colorado

Posted 19 August 2019 - 05:12 PM

Seeing is becoming decent in the mornings and the moon is finally rising above 45 degrees which is my lower limit unless it is in a strong crescent phase.  Wednesday morning looks good for low winds, very low likelihood for clouds, the moon around a 71% waning gibbous phase that I have never imaged, and seeing likely to be good, especially since the atmosphere and surrounding areas will be at a good thermal equilibrium.  The moon will also be near the Meridian at 4:30 a.m. when I hope to be imaging after earlier collimation and focusing are achieved.  Fingers and toes crossed!  I haven't had a serious night (or early morning) of imaging since this last May.  I am feeling pretty desperate to get some new imaging done!

What also intrigues me about this phase is that I like the lighting on features the most about 15 to 20 degrees away from the terminator.  So for this timing and libration, Plato, Rima Hadley, and Albategnius all fall within this zone.  Ptolomaeus, Deslandes, Tycho, and Clavius are a bit outside of this range, but they should have some better lighting than I currently have with an 83% waning gibbous moon from last year.

#2 kevinbreen

kevinbreen

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Wexford, Ireland

Posted 19 August 2019 - 06:48 PM

Steve, sorry but it will be overcast 😄
  • RedLionNJ, gfstallin, Lacaille and 1 other like this

#3 aeroman4907

aeroman4907

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 August 2019 - 09:14 PM

Probably, but not as bad as in Ireland for the next decade... lol.gif 

• eros312, Kokatha man, gfstallin and 1 other like this

#4 aeroman4907

aeroman4907

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 August 2019 - 08:36 AM

Steve, sorry but it will be overcast

I have now unliked your comment Kevin.  Forecast is now real iffy because of clouds (partly cloudy which is definitely NOT a good sign at this point).  I'll still have to get up at 3 a.m. and check conditions.  Take your profession of clouds back or I'll ask that you not rest until I get some good imaging done - and that could be quite a while!  wink.gif

Edited by aeroman4907, 20 August 2019 - 08:39 AM.

• gfstallin likes this

#5 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Voyager 1

• Loc: "cooker-ta man" downunda...

Posted 20 August 2019 - 07:19 PM

...I have now "Liked" your Post #3 aero...because although it gave me a chuckle when I first read it yesterday as a response to Kev's "overcast" comments, the fact that he was probably right has made me more sympathetic towards you & less sympathetic to Kev's own situation! :rofl:  (all written completely in jest, as was Kev's comments also I might add!)

• aeroman4907 likes this

#6 RedLionNJ

RedLionNJ

Soyuz

• Loc: Red Lion, NJ, USA

Posted 21 August 2019 - 07:51 AM

Maybe you get less haze due to the altitude out/up there in Colorado, but even when everything else looks REALLY promising forecast-wise, it's often the transparency which does me in.

Sure hope that wasn't the case for you!

• aeroman4907 likes this

#7 aeroman4907

aeroman4907

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 August 2019 - 08:27 AM

Well Kevin, you lucked out my friend (some benefit of being Irish I presume).  The clouds were just moving on when I woke up at 3 a.m.  Transparency wasn't great with some very light high clouds for part of the imaging session, but that was after I got some rock solid collimation.  Fog clouds literally moved in at the very end of my last imaging sequence.  The fog clouds are really rare here.  I count myself extremely blessed that I was able to get the imaging in.  If this was like most scenarios, I would have everything set up with collimation and focus, and fog would have rolled in on my first imaging run.

So to you Kevin, you can now rest in peace!  I of course don't mean 'rest in peace' as in death, but hey, you know what I mean.  grin.gif  In any case, may God bless you with 10 times the clear imaging I just received.  I will now like your comment again.

Seeing was one of the better times too.  The Poisson Point was continuously visible, but it did move around quite a bit.  So perhaps a Pickering of 5.

Maybe you get less haze due to the altitude out/up there in Colorado, but even when everything else looks REALLY promising forecast-wise, it's often the transparency which does me in.

Sure hope that wasn't the case for you!

Transparency wasn't as good as normal Grant.  That is a bit unusual for Colorado in the morning.  Transparency is usually one of the best qualities of our atmosphere here (visibility is usually well beyond 100 miles), but seeing and thermal changes are an entirely different matter.  Today both were pretty decent.

...I have now "Liked" your Post #3 aero...because although it gave me a chuckle when I first read it yesterday as a response to Kev's "overcast" comments, the fact that he was probably right has made me more sympathetic towards you & less sympathetic to Kev's own situation! rofl2.gif  (all written completely in jest, as was Kev's comments also I might add!)

Thanks for the well wishes Darryl!  Things came through in the long run.  I have been inspired by how tirelessly you work to get your images in challenging conditions, so I really put lots of effort into collimation, focus, and getting the right histogram.

Here is a preliminary test I did to double check the proper AP size (turns out to be 48) for my lunar imaging with the QHY-183C.  I think it looks promising and should be representative of my capture of the entire moon in 5 panels.

Hadley-Test.jpg

Edited by aeroman4907, 21 August 2019 - 09:15 AM.

• Kenny V., Kokatha man, RedLionNJ and 1 other like this

#8 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Voyager 1

• Loc: "cooker-ta man" downunda...

Posted 21 August 2019 - 07:20 PM

I tried to "Like" the image but CN seems to be having some problems atm...so I've registered my like this way! grin.gif

#9 aeroman4907

aeroman4907

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 August 2019 - 03:44 PM

Here is a sample around the widely popular area around Ptolemaeus to Arzachel from that morning.  Definitely my best effort to date in sunset lighting on the moon of that area.  Be sure to click on the image for a larger version.

Ptolemaeus-to-Arzachel3.jpg

Edited by aeroman4907, 24 August 2019 - 03:44 PM.

• Kenny V., Kokatha man, Lacaille and 1 other like this

#10 Kenny V.

Kenny V.

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Victoria, BC, Canada

Posted 24 August 2019 - 09:55 PM

Hi Aeroman:

These are absolutely fantastic images. I aspire to take images like this one day.

Ken

• aeroman4907 likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics