•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

C11 in white light

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 George9

George9

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 19 August 2019 - 05:18 PM

I just tried out a relatively new C11 XLT (non-edge) in white light using a full aperture Baader AstroSolar Film and a homemade cell. What a great view. I also have a nice 6" apo with a Herschel wedge, and this definitely won. My seeing was good, but I am in the northeast, not Florida, and so I don't get perfect seeing very often, and this seeing was good but not perfect.

I could see the granulation very easily, enough so that I could recognize unique patterns in different parts of the Sun and return to them. At big enough aperture, even a quiet Sun is interesting in white light. Compared to my 6" plus wedge, the granulation jumped out instead of being subtle (easy to find, but it didn't hit you).

If you already own a C11 or similar, I highly recommend a full-aperture Baader film filter in front.

George

• marktownley, torsinadoc and LFORLEESEE like this

#2 wargrafix

wargrafix

Skylab

• -----
  • Loc: Trinidad

Posted 20 August 2019 - 12:58 AM

How about a c9. 25?

I have a glass filter, how much a jump in quality will the be with baader?

#3 ch-viladrich

ch-viladrich

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: France

Posted 20 August 2019 - 03:16 AM

Hi George,

Interesting feedback. It seems more and more that a large aperture can be of use in some observing sites, and not only the best ones.

#4 George9

George9

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 21 August 2019 - 05:25 PM

How about a c9. 25?

I have a glass filter, how much a jump in quality will the be with baader?

I have a 70mm glass filter for my Pronto, and the Baader replacement has noticeably better resolution at high power. It is also lighter and less likely to break. Of course it depends on the quality of your glass filter, but If you paid about $100 instead of about $3000, then you are in for an improvement.

I believe Kendrick is having a sale on their old style cell with Baader film, 20-50% off. 

(I have kept my glass filter even through I rarely use it. The one big benefit was one day when I was watching the Sun set and saw a green flash in the filter at high power. The disk is normally orange in mine, but the last bit of Sun was emerald green, and not just contrast.)

George

• johnpeter2 likes this

#5 johnpeter2

johnpeter2

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Lake James area, NC

Posted 22 August 2019 - 03:41 PM

George,

Thanks for the Kendrick Sale tip.  I just ordered one for my 80mm Meade Infinity refractor.

John

#6 marktownley

marktownley

Cosmos

• -----
  • Loc: West Midlands, UK

Posted 23 August 2019 - 12:08 AM

You're very fortunate to have such good seeing to be able to do this George!  Should be an absolute treat when the sun becomes more active again...

#7 George9

George9

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 23 August 2019 - 03:25 PM

Thanks, Mark. You know, I am not in a location particularly known for seeing. I am frequently in the jet stream. ClearSkyClock insists my seeing is 3/5, or rarely 4/5, but not 5/5. I observe 9am to 11am. The Sun is high enough but the day is not yet too hot. The one advantage I have is that there are no buildings or concrete, or even gravel or sand. Just greenery.

Unfortunately the summer is over, and I am back to buildings and concrete.

The other thing is that for observing something like Jupiter, I want at least 0.6 arcsec seeing and ideally (but only very rarely as in every few years) 0.3 arcsec seeing. For the Sun, 1.0 arcsec looks great. My SolarScintillation monitor kind of jumps between 1 and 3 arcsec. Maybe hangs around 1 on a good day.

My point in all of this is that solar observers should just try it and judge, and not be prejudiced by the Internet.

George

#8 ValeryD

ValeryD

Vendor (Aries)

• ****-
  • Vendors
  • Loc: Kherson, Ukraine.

Posted 24 August 2019 - 08:36 AM

My point in all of this is that solar observers should just try it and judge, and not be prejudiced by the Internet.

George

Very very true!

Valery

• dragracingdan likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics