•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Meade XWA 10 mm eyepiece problems

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 DanielKuzi

DanielKuzi

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 August 2019 - 05:23 PM

Thank you admins for accepting me here so quick.

So couple of days ago i bought the Meade XWA 100 degrees eyepiece and the experience is just horrible with it.

heres what i told a frined : " I just opened the box took out the eyepiece and looked through it on the moon and just saw bubbles in it ... after this i have put it in my telescope and the eye guard just came out the first time and after i put it back i tried to look at the moon from the telescope and it was horrible it felt like 90 degrees and not 100 that's for sure and the last couple of degrees looked really bad but i still gave it a go and while looking through it i noticed an unbearable exit pupil abbreviation aka kidney beaning"

Did anyone else suffer from those stuff ?

Thank you so much

#2 SeattleScott

SeattleScott

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 19 August 2019 - 05:31 PM

The Meade XWA is a well regarded hyperwide eyepiece that has been discontinued for some time. So you may have purchased it used, and apparently not in excellent condition. Or you found some pretty old new stock. I don’t recall a 10mm model.

Or you got a Meade MWA, the not so stellar but cheaper replacement for the XWA. Yes the FOV is closer to 90 degrees for some of these and the edge performance isn’t the best in faster scopes. Still the eyecup shouldn’t be falling off already and you shouldn’t be seeing bubbles, unless your scope is badly miscollimated. If it is new and under warranty, you may want to send it back. There is a 10mm MWA so I am guessing this is what you have.

It would be helpful to specify for certain which eyepiece you got, because you said XWA but it sounds more like MWA, and they are very different eyepieces. It would also be good to specify the F ratio you were using it at. And if you were using it in a F5 Dob, were you using a coma corrector? Don’t want to blame the eyepiece for something inherent with the scope.

Scott

Edited by SeattleScott, 19 August 2019 - 05:35 PM.

• DanielKuzi likes this

#3 DanielKuzi

DanielKuzi

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 August 2019 - 05:39 PM

The Meade XWA is a well regarded hyperwide eyepiece that has been discontinued for some time. So you may have purchased it used, and apparently not in excellent condition. Or you found some pretty old new stock. I don’t recall a 10mm model.

Or you got a Meade MWA, the not so stellar but cheaper replacement for the XWA. Yes the FOV is closer to 90 degrees for some of these and the edge performance isn’t the best in faster scopes. Still the eyecup shouldn’t be falling off already and you shouldn’t be seeing bubbles, unless your scope is badly miscollimated. If it is new and under warranty, you may want to send it back. There is a 10mm MWA so I am guessing this is what you have.

It would be helpful to specify for certain which eyepiece you got, because you said XWA but it sounds more like MWA, and they are very different eyepieces. It would also be good to specify the F ratio you were using it at. And if you were using it in a F5 Dob, were you using a coma corrector? Don’t want to blame the eyepiece for something inherent with the scope.

Scott

Thanks for the response Scott, Yes you are right this is the MWA ... My bad ...

I was using it on a Sky watcher 8" Dob F/6 , 1200 focal length , without anything else ,if this is helpful.

The eyecup just came right off and this was really strange, and when i tried to look on a source of light through the eyepiece without the telescope i could clearly see bubbles there.

Also i just got it from amazon so i think there is still warranty and there shouldnt be a problem to return it

Edited by DanielKuzi, 19 August 2019 - 05:44 PM.

#4 SeattleScott

SeattleScott

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 19 August 2019 - 05:46 PM

Sounds like a problem with the coatings. I have one coating bubble on an eyepiece that I never notice an impact, but it is just one and it is near the edge. If you have multiple bubbles near the center I would return it.

I have not used a MWA but my hunch is they would be borderline for an F6. So you might just get a replacement, or you might want to return it and get something better quality. Maybe wait for others to chime in.

Scott
  • DanielKuzi likes this

#5 DanielKuzi

DanielKuzi

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 August 2019 - 05:56 PM

Sounds like a problem with the coatings. I have one coating bubble on an eyepiece that I never notice an impact, but it is just one and it is near the edge. If you have multiple bubbles near the center I would return it.

I have not used a MWA but my hunch is they would be borderline for an F6. So you might just get a replacement, or you might want to return it and get something better quality. Maybe wait for others to chime in.

Scott

Just so i will be sure its not my mistake, if i am looking at a really bright light through the eyepiece i shouldnt see anything right ? because when i just look at the floor i see nothing but at really bright light the bubbles come out.

What do you mean by borderline for an F6? 

And again thank you very much

#6 SeattleScott

SeattleScott

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 19 August 2019 - 10:26 PM

Pretty safe to say it is a coatings issue, but it won’t affect the views if it takes a bright light to see it. Out of curiosity I looked at a couple of my lenses and crap, a lot of gunk on there. Maybe I should clean them again. But the views are still good so I wouldn’t worry about some coating imperfections that you need a flashlight to see.

Borderline for F6 means it will probably show some degree of edge distortion. Whether or not it bothers you, and is worth paying 50%-100% more to get something without edge distortion, is up to you. So just get out and use it and see what you think. You may still want to return it because of the eyecup, but trying it out a couple times will let you know whether you should return it for a replacement or get a refund to apply to something else.

Scott

Scott
  • DanielKuzi likes this

#7 CeleNoptic

CeleNoptic

Apollo

• Loc: Cloudy East Coast

Posted 19 August 2019 - 10:55 PM

I looked at a couple of my lenses and crap, a lot of gunk on there. Maybe I should clean them again. But the views are still good so I wouldn’t worry about some coating imperfections that you need a flashlight to see.

Have you tried to shine a flashlight into your reflectors OTAs? Don't do that and you'll sleep/observe well grin.gif . There are a number of threads here and elsewhere when the OP panicking about the dust on PM or in the EPs. I also tried that experiment and all my eyepieces except waterproof look terrible. But that's normal. Most of users if not all reported similar results grin.gif .   That why we need waterproof eyepieces -- they collect dust on 2 outside glass surfaces only which clean up fast and afterwards no dust detected flowerred.gif .

#8 George Methvin

George Methvin

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Central Texas

Posted 20 August 2019 - 09:23 AM

I just bought the Meade 10mm MWA eyepiece new about a month ago on sell for $153.99 and I have not really had a problem with it. Yes it is only about a 90 deg field of view and 

you do have to hold your eye just in the right spot to see the full field. I use this eyepiece with my 14 inch f4/6 with a CC and the view is almost sharp to the edge of field the views of M-13 very very sharp the cluster was resolved in the core with pin point stars and the same though my C-8 it is sharp to the edges, I have no problem with the rubber eye guard plus I don't see any bubbles when I look through this eyepiece. I like this eyepiece the views are very sharp but not sure what's going on with yours hope you get it figured out. 

Edited by George Methvin, 20 August 2019 - 09:55 AM.

• DanielKuzi likes this

#9 SeattleScott

SeattleScott

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 20 August 2019 - 11:57 AM

Yes for the price the MWA isn’t necessarily a bad eyepiece. It tends to get trashed on CN because it doesn’t perform as well as ES, APM, SV, TV hyperwides. But not everyone can afford to pay $300-600 an eyepiece. Shoot wasn’t that 8” Dob about $400? At F6 you don’t need perfection. So give the Meade a shot and see if it works for you. You may still return it because of the eyecup but you might want to just get another one in exchange.

Scott
  • DanielKuzi likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics