•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Moon Imaged with Lunar Filter... Box

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 aatdalton

aatdalton

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 19 August 2019 - 05:59 PM

IMG_2440.jpg

A couple months ago while doing some visual observation of the moon I swapped out my eyepiece and noticed the blinding cone of light coming out my focuser. I put my hand in front of it and played around a little bit and got it focus a projected image on my hand. Wow, that's pretty cool! So I grabbed the translucent box my lunar filter came in, rested it on top of the focuser, and got this neat matte projected image! Here's a composite pic of the setup. 

IMG_2429 copy.jpg

• zjc26138, Jim Waters, roelb and 3 others like this

#2 Tulloch

Tulloch

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Melbourne, Australia

Posted 19 August 2019 - 06:02 PM

That is pretty cool! Nice one!

• gfstallin likes this

#3 zjc26138

zjc26138

Loved By All

• Loc: Steubenville, Ohio

Posted 19 August 2019 - 07:31 PM

I agree, super neat!

I need to try this.

#4 havasman

havasman

Cosmos

• ****-
  • Loc: Dallas, Texas

Posted 19 August 2019 - 07:51 PM

?

I guess I'm missing the value added. The added artifacts are easy to see and the diminished clarity of the image too. But what's the gain?

Edited by havasman, 19 August 2019 - 07:52 PM.

• gfstallin likes this

#5 aatdalton

aatdalton

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 19 August 2019 - 08:17 PM

?

I guess I'm missing the value added. The added artifacts are easy to see and the diminished clarity of the image too. But what's the gain?

For optical quality, there is none. It's objectively a bad picture of the moon. But I think it's a very unique way of capturing an image of the moon. It's different. Actually at the time I took this photo, I didn't have a way to bring my DSLR to focus in my dob - no barlow, no projection eyepiece kit, and focuser didn't have enough inward travel. 

• gfstallin and Tulloch like this

#6 gfstallin

gfstallin

Viking 1

• Loc: Cheverly, Maryland USA

Posted 20 August 2019 - 12:13 PM

?

Absolutely nothing lol.gif . It's just really neat! It is sort of like when I learned that I could confuse ants momentarily by rubbing my finger on their trails. Use to humanity points: Absolutely none. Intellectual curiosity points: 1,000. waytogo.gif 

George 

• aatdalton likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics