•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Armasight sirius for use as an EAA Device

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 gatorengineer

gatorengineer

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter
  • Loc: Hellertown, PA

Posted 19 August 2019 - 06:51 PM

I have one, I know its not the best.  but what adapter would I need to get it going, to at least play with.

https://www.amazon.c...dC_7161072011_8

I have the front off, to where the end of the tube is exposed, same place where you could screw on a larger lens......  I would like to be able to use it with a large newt.....

I know its not a $4000 tube, but it should do something.  Thanks for any input.

#2 Eddgie

Eddgie

ISS

Posted 19 August 2019 - 07:26 PM

If you can identify the thread used (if you are lucky it is C mount) you can have an adapter made that screws into the lens thread and has a 1.25" nose, and then you can use it at prime focus.

If you use an digiscope adapter, you can use it in afocal mode (It is just a bracket that holds it up to the eyepiece).  If you use something like a 40mm Plossl, you can get a faster focal ratio from your scope without using a reducer.

#3 gatorengineer

gatorengineer

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 19 August 2019 - 07:42 PM

Thanks edgie, its around 1 7/8" tread, not sure what it is.... got any ideas of what would be standard in about that size?

#4 Eddgie

Eddgie

ISS

Posted 19 August 2019 - 10:45 PM

I am so sorry, but I don't have the slightest idea.  

Did the lens itself come off, or did the entire front come off?  Pic would help.

#5 gatorengineer

gatorengineer

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 24 August 2019 - 02:58 PM

Pic one

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20190824_153547_600x800.jpg

#6 gatorengineer

gatorengineer

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 24 August 2019 - 03:00 PM

Pic 2 any advice on how to adapt this would be appreciated

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20190824_153537_800x600.jpg

#7 Eddgie

Eddgie

ISS

Posted 24 August 2019 - 03:34 PM

If you want to use it at prime focus, then you would need to find the size of the thread and pitch of the thread on the objective housing that screws off.

Now, you could simply have someone machine an adapter with that thread on one end, and a suitable interface on the other.

Most people that are buying new today use C mount.   This would allow you to use an off the shelf 1.25" to C mount nose for prime focus, or it would allow you to use SLR lenses with the appropriate adapter.

If I were you though, this is what I would do... I would simply put your device back together and use it afocally.

If your device does not have a 1/4 -20 socket, then just hold the device up to an existing 25mm or 32mm eyepiece and look though it.  If you don't see much more than you can see with just the eyepiece, then don't do anything,  If though, you can see more stars, then you can either invest in a digiscoping adapter like this, 

https://www.baader-p...ra-adapter.html

or you can invest in a custom made adapter so you can work at prime focus. 

I would try afocal first though.  I can tell you from experience that I did not see much improvement using Gen 2 vs a standard eyepiece with a fully dark adapted eye.  If you can see more stars though by holding it up to the eyepiece, the next move would be to get a digiscoping adapter and use it afocally and if you are enjoying it, it might be worth getting a custom made C mount adapter. 

So, here is what the adapter should look like but honestly, I would try afocal first just to see if it is worth doing. 

Conversion.jpg

Misspelled thread on this picture.  To lazy to re-do it.

Gen 2 can work OK for NV, but if you use it afocally with a 25mm to 32mm eyepiece and don't see a big improvement, it may not be worth doing. 

If you like it, you know what you can don next.

#8 gatorengineer

gatorengineer

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 24 August 2019 - 04:08 PM

Thank Edgie it's Gen 2 plus and just holding it to the sky I do see more starts. Now to try it with the 24

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics