•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

IS it possible to add a ST [M2] mount head type to my Avx or TW2 tripod

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Ballyhoo

Ballyhoo

Soyuz

• topic starter
  • Loc: San Diego

Posted 19 August 2019 - 07:09 PM

Hello all,

I am really not a happy camper with my TW2 mount. I know there are mods that can be made to make it nicer, I am just not sure how easy they are to apply; plus overall I wouldn't mind just having a single mount head. The TW2 mount I havefound I just do not use it because it is not grab n go, it is heavy, cumbersome and not a pleasure for me to use. I find it hard to lock on an object is the main thing.  I have seen pictures of the Stellarvue mount heads on their website and I know this might be a long-shot but does anyone know whether it is possible to purchase a nice ALT/AZ mount head from Stellarvue and plant it on either the AVX or TW2 tripod.

I suppose my other option is just to sell my TW2 and buy an entire M2 tripod and mount. But I was looking at the ST mount heads and really wanting to get one to put on a one of my tripods for better grab n go.

As I am typing this I am thinking of just maybe putting my TW2 on the classifieds to solve this problem. I wished I would have gotten the M2, tripod and mount rather than the TW2.  A bit of buyers remorse but maybe my TW2 is still salvageable. 

THANK YOU!!

https://www.stellarv...llarvue-mounts/

Edited by star drop, 21 August 2019 - 10:16 PM.

#2 jerobe

jerobe

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Southeast Texas

Posted 19 August 2019 - 07:39 PM

I have an AVX mount.  Early this year I bought an M2C head and extension column (10 mm bolt holes for the AVX) to provide an alt az option when I don't want to set up the AVX GEM head.  The M2C and extension column fit perfectly on the AVX tripod and result in a very sturdy mount. I can use all the scopes in my signature on it. It's one of the best astro gear purchases that I have made.

#3 Ballyhoo

Ballyhoo

Soyuz

• topic starter

Posted 19 August 2019 - 07:41 PM

I have an AVX mount.  Early this year I bought an M2C head and extension column (10 mm bolt holes for the AVX) to provide an alt az option when I don't want to set up the AVX GEM head.  The M2C and extension column fit perfectly on the AVX tripod and result in a very sturdy mount. I can use all the scopes in my signature on it. It's one of the best astro gear purchases that I have made.

Thank you so much for letting me know this. I am thinking maybe of just putting my ES TW2 mount on the market then.

#4 Xeroid

Xeroid

Apollo

• Loc: USA

Posted 19 August 2019 - 10:02 PM

"Where there is a will, there is a way..."

I made a simple adapter from 3/4" Birch Plywood (photo 1) and changed the center bolt thread to a 3/8" 

Photo 2 shows the Stellarvue M2C mount on the ES Twilight II tripod with a 8" pier.

The wood adapter sits between the ES TW II tripod hub and the 8"pier.  

Adding a eyepiece leg spreader makes it rock solid!

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20190819_224045242_HDR-1.jpg
  • IMG_20190819_223938396_HDR-2.jpg

Edited by Xeroid, 19 August 2019 - 10:04 PM.

• zjc26138 likes this

#5 Ballyhoo

Ballyhoo

Soyuz

• topic starter

Posted 20 August 2019 - 06:26 PM

"Where there is a will, there is a way..."

I made a simple adapter from 3/4" Birch Plywood (photo 1) and changed the center bolt thread to a 3/8" 

Photo 2 shows the Stellarvue M2C mount on the ES Twilight II tripod with a 8" pier.

The wood adapter sits between the ES TW II tripod hub and the 8"pier.  

Adding a eyepiece leg spreader makes it rock solid!

Wow so you did not need to purchase a ST pole adapter?  You only purchased the MC2 mount head? 

What tools did you use to make the wood cut-outs?  I am thinking drill press with circle cut adapters (not sure what they are called but I have sone lying around. 

thank you!

#6 Xeroid

Xeroid

Apollo

Posted 21 August 2019 - 11:44 AM

Ballyhoo,

The Stellarvuw M2C can be obtained with different bottom mounting holes, I selected the 3/8" thread as most of my tripods, EXCEPT for the ES TW II  have that center bolt thread.

The ES TW II Adapter:

I use the Dremel Circle Cutting tool & Cutting Bit to cut the the two birch plywood disks.  Makes A LOT OF SAWDUST so use a nose/mouth mask, safety eye googles and vacuum cleaner or work outdoors. 

The disk are glued & clamped together overnight using Tite Bond Wood Glue. Trim the circles as needed using sandpaper.

So if you obtain the 3/8" M2C, you will also need to get a 3/8" threaded rod for the new center bolt. That bolt should be inserted into the M2C mount approx 6 full turns.

Good luck and take your time!

Attached Thumbnails

• ES TW II Adapter.jpg

Edited by Xeroid, 21 August 2019 - 11:45 AM.

• Ballyhoo likes this

#7 Ballyhoo

Ballyhoo

Soyuz

• topic starter

Posted 21 August 2019 - 01:27 PM

So then, I have all the wood working tools one could ever need (thankfully from building two different large dobsonian telescopes). This appears to be a really interesting project. But can you clarify, in the image you posted, which pole extension is that? and the white circular fixtures, where are those from?   I am not seeing your birch adapter in the image, or am I?

THANK YOU!

#8 Xeroid

Xeroid

Apollo

Posted 21 August 2019 - 02:32 PM

Ballyhoo,

The "pole extension is the SkyWatcher Extension pier for AZGTi Telescope Mount

It has a 3/8" threaded hole on the bottom and a removable 3/8" bolt/cap on top. The top and bottom white "collars" are part of the extension. See the Amazon page from the above link.

It was inexpensive but very well made, solid and helps with those slightly longer refractors.

The top image in post #4 while sort of dark does have the Birch adapter between the Tripod and pier extension. Ya gotta look real close...

Yes, you can do it!

#9 bmurphy495

bmurphy495

Ranger 4

Posted 22 August 2019 - 05:44 AM

Hello all,

I am really not a happy camper with my TW2 mount. I know there are mods that can be made to make it nicer, I am just not sure how easy they are to apply; plus overall I wouldn't mind just having a single mount head. 

I have a Twilight II mount and would have sold it by now if it was not for the modifications. Biggest hassle was opening up the ID of a metal spacing washer that would keep the roller bearing in place. I would also suggest one of the KK guide handle from Agena Astro that allows for some leverage and a counter weight shaft if using it with one scope. It's actually usable now and I plan to keep it.

The handle was $75, roller bearings were about $20 I think. If you only use it with one scope, you really should have a counterweight on the other side. Add about $30 for a counterweight shaft from ScopeStuff. That being said you are putting $100 into a mount that is not ready for prime time out of the box. Not sure why Scott is selling them with all their faults. 

That being said, that M2 looks like a very nice mount head and the slow motion controls are what is lacking in the TWII mount. 

B

#10 jerobe

jerobe

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Southeast Texas

Posted 22 August 2019 - 10:05 AM

Bmurphy495, those big knobs on the M2C mount head aren't slow motion controls, they're for tightening/adjusting the stiction or movement of the alt az axes. Once you get your OTA balanced, you can tighten the knobs and smoothly move the the OTA using the M2C handle or simply nudging the OTA like you would a dobsonian.  It is a good mount, but doesn't have slo mo controls.   

#11 bmurphy495

bmurphy495

Ranger 4

Posted 22 August 2019 - 12:27 PM

Bmurphy495, those big knobs on the M2C mount head aren't slow motion controls, they're for tightening/adjusting the stiction or movement of the alt az axes. Once you get your OTA balanced, you can tighten the knobs and smoothly move the the OTA using the M2C handle or simply nudging the OTA like you would a dobsonian.  It is a good mount, but doesn't have slo mo controls.   

Hmmm, guess I won't upgrade. LoL Still though It does look like a fantastic mount. I use my TWII for solar with two scopes mostly and have not found somthing that will fit the bill. Wish the TWII has slow motion controls though.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics