•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Cocoon - EdgeHD 11", ZWO ASI071MC-Pro

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Lead_Weight

Lead_Weight

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Houston

Posted 19 August 2019 - 07:44 PM

I shot this one over two nights on my EdgeHD 11". CGX mount, and .7x reducer.

It's 750 60s subs to keep under the light pollution ceiling of my bortle 7/8 skies.

Processing these APSC subs really takes some time. Integration is around 6-7 hours (on my 8-core Xeon workstation), and I basically set it all up and let it run non-stop using Astro Pixel Processor for the integration. Then I pull it into PixInsight to do some editing. I usually do a masked stretch, this gives me a good moderate stretch that doesn't blow out any stars, and I usually tweak here some and save out a file for part one of my process (processing the stars). Then I usually stretch further and tweak color, reduce noise, and save out a second image now that the nebula is processed. I take them both into Photoshop, and basically do a manual HDR merge, so that I get nice stars, and a nice nebula combined.

cocoon-small.jpg

Full res image:

get.jpg?insecure

• eros312, PeteM, elmiko and 8 others like this

#2 Gipht

Gipht

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Prescott Valley, AZ.

Posted 19 August 2019 - 08:05 PM

Very impressive!  Most pictures at this focal length have bloated colorless stars.  You have great stars.

• Lead_Weight likes this

#3 Lead_Weight

Lead_Weight

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 19 August 2019 - 08:37 PM

Very impressive!  Most pictures at this focal length have bloated colorless stars.  You have great stars.

Thanks for the kind words. Yeah, I've noticed that the SCT photos in general get processed in such a way that the stars are all more or less blown out, or have a large inner diameter of white. Since I process the image twice, once for the stars, and once for the object, I don't usually end up with this issue.

Edited by Lead_Weight, 19 August 2019 - 08:39 PM.

#4 Acer

Acer

Ranger 4

• Loc: Loveland, CO

Posted 19 August 2019 - 08:41 PM

Very nice!  Do you know what image scale you are imaging at?

#5 Lead_Weight

Lead_Weight

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 19 August 2019 - 08:47 PM

Very nice!  Do you know what image scale you are imaging at?

Thanks! Yeah, image scale is .503 arc seconds/pixel.

• Acer likes this

#6 PeteM

PeteM

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: West Michigan

Posted 19 August 2019 - 08:47 PM

Very nice work processing this. That is a ton of subs to crunch for sure, but worth the result.

• PirateMike and Lead_Weight like this

#7 Lead_Weight

Lead_Weight

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 19 August 2019 - 09:00 PM

Very nice work processing this. That is a ton of subs to crunch for sure, but worth the result.

Yeah, these subs are 16 mega pixels. So when I think about possibly upgrading to the new full frame sensors that ZWO and QSI are working on that are 60 mega pixels, I cringe....I almost think it would be prohibitive for me to get a color camera with that sized sensor. I would have to stick to shooting longer subs in mono.

#8 Lead_Weight

Lead_Weight

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 26 August 2019 - 11:09 PM

I just published a new version of this image with an additional 6 hours of data. I think this is about the best I can do from my bortle 7 skies without doubling the imaging time. This is 18.5 hours of time. 1,108 60s images. It took approximately 10 hours on my 8 core Xeon with 32gb ram. 

cocoon3.jpg

Full res here:

get.jpg?insecure

• dhaval, PeteM and NorthField like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics