•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Apparent evidence for Hawking points in the CMB Sky

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 BillP

BillP

Hubble

• topic starter
  • Loc: Spotsylvania, VA

Posted 19 August 2019 - 09:46 PM

This paper presents strong observational evidence (99.98% confidence) of anomalous individual points in the very early universe that appear to be sources of vast amounts of energy, revealed as specific previously unobserved signals found in the CMB sky. Though seemingly problematic for cosmic inflation, the existence of such anomalous points is an implication of conformal cyclic cosmology (CCC), as what could be the Hawking points of the theory, these being the effects of the final Hawking evaporation of supermassive black holes in the aeon prior to ours.

Research paper - https://arxiv.org/pdf/1808.01740.pdf

Popular press - https://www.independ...y-a9070381.html

• Jim Waters and PirateMike like this

#2 RaulTheRat

RaulTheRat

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 19 August 2019 - 10:01 PM

Maybe. I'm not technical enough to make an informed judgement of my own, but I know the arXiv print has been widely criticized and that other investigators have been unable to reproduce the results, believing that the evidence for the structures in the CMB is not there statistically speaking.

CCC is an interesting speculation, and again I am not technical enough to really understand it but it seems as though if it were true it would be a beautiful description, and beautiful descriptions of nature tend to be accurate, but really I don't think there's any observational evidence for CCC yet (that are accepted widely anyway) so we will just have to wait and see.
  • PirateMike likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics