•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Camera piggy back mount

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Duluthstar

Duluthstar

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 August 2019 - 09:56 PM

Looking for someone to point me in the right direction to piggy back Mount my nikon d5000 to my Orion 6' Mak-Cass

where to buy?  see some online but hard to determine that the fit will be correct for the scope body.

Thanks

#2 petert913

petert913

Gemini

• Loc: Portland, OR

Posted 19 August 2019 - 10:14 PM

Depending on your mount, its often easier to take the telescope off completely.  Just get a dove tail bar and mount

to put  your Nikon directly in the saddle where the OTA was.  

https://www.youtube....h?v=hFVKG416Vtw

• bobzeq25 likes this

#3 kellyvictoria

kellyvictoria

Ranger 4

• Loc: Florida, 29 degrees N

Posted 19 August 2019 - 10:29 PM

Depending on your mount, its often easier to take the telescope off completely.  Just get a dove tail bar and mount

to put  your Nikon directly in the saddle where the OTA was.  

https://www.youtube....h?v=hFVKG416Vtw

yes, for an equatorial mount with polar aligning... but what about a Nexstar mount?

you really cannot align simply without the scope on it...

the reason I am commenting is because I am having a heck of a time trying to figure out how to mount my Losmandy Camera Mount with my Nikon dslr onto my C4, as it  tracks so well I think it would be perfect for this. 

I have just about given up and was thinking the same as our "Topic Starter" above and just buy another camera mount for the top of the C4.

Edited by kellyvictoria, 19 August 2019 - 10:48 PM.

#4 petert913

petert913

Gemini

• Loc: Portland, OR

Posted 19 August 2019 - 11:36 PM

yes, for an equatorial mount with polar aligning... but what about a Nexstar mount?

you really cannot align simply without the scope on it...

I was replying to Duluthstar's question  He made no claim whether he had EQ or Alt-Az.   I assumed with

a Mak, that he was using a GEM mount.   If not, wide field photography with a DSLR is more difficult beyond

about 30 sec. exposure. May as well just use a tripod.

#5 Duluthstar

Duluthstar

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 August 2019 - 04:40 AM

i am using a skyview pro EQ goto mount.

have seen maybe one option for a celestron that installs in the original OTA base screw but don't see options for Orion.  also saw 1 option to put in place of my view finder.  just trying to see where there are more options.

#6 kellyvictoria

kellyvictoria

Ranger 4

Posted 20 August 2019 - 09:56 AM

have seen maybe one option for a celestron that installs in the original OTA base screw but don't see options for Orion.  also saw 1 option to put in place of my view finder.  just trying to see where there are more options.

I will look online regarding the "Celestron camera mount that installs in the original OTA base screw". 

also will keep my eye out for an Orion option.

#7 kellyvictoria

kellyvictoria

Ranger 4

Posted 20 August 2019 - 10:45 AM

Here is what I am going to purchase from: https:www.astronomics.com

Celestron Piggyback for Celestron SCT Telescopes … $31.95

I believe it may be a Universal fit even though it states for Celestron only. There is a lengthy description which explains its use along with photos of how it is attached to the OPT base screw.

hope this helps you also...

#8 Chuckwagon

Chuckwagon

Viking 1

• Loc: Orem, Utah, USA

Posted 20 August 2019 - 12:09 PM

If the dovetail system on the Orion is the same as a Vixen dovetail (looks like it) then you could get an adapter like the ADM V Series Universal Dovetail Camera Mount (VDUP-CM-V) that has the dovetail and piggyback adapter in one.  Then just mount your camera to it and swap it with the telescope.  The advantage to doing it this way is lower weight, which for a lower capacity mount like the Skyview Pro EQ (20 lbs capacity) would likely improve your performance.

#9 Duluthstar

Duluthstar

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 August 2019 - 08:59 PM

thanks for the responses...

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics