•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Pegasus Astro Powerbox Tracer 12V 24Ah LiFePO4 Question

EAA equipment observatory astrophotography ccd mount refractor
  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Michaeljhogan

Michaeljhogan

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 August 2019 - 11:37 PM

Total noob question since their is only one 12v socket will i have to buy a Pegasus Astro Pocket Powerbox i dont know

how to use these new powertanks i was warned that the other Lithium powertanks are cheap dirt just being repacked

in europe and are sometimes not even real nevermind the lastest and safest LiFePO4

I might have to buy another one later

Attached Thumbnails

• Screenshot_2019-08-20 TracerPower com Tracer 12V 24Ah LiFePO4 Battery(1).png

#2 ManuelJ

ManuelJ

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Madrid, Spain

Posted 20 August 2019 - 01:59 AM

One thing that should be mention is that the stated 24Ah is not with 12V, but at 3.7V. So they are 7.4Ah at 12V, not counting the efficiency of the voltage converter and the maximum discharge.

So keep in mind that the capacity is about 5Ah at 12V.

#3 eshy76

eshy76

Sputnik

• Loc: London, UK

Posted 20 August 2019 - 05:05 AM

Total noob question since their is only one 12v socket will i have to buy a Pegasus Astro Pocket Powerbox i dont know

how to use these new powertanks i was warned that the other Lithium powertanks are cheap dirt just being repacked

in europe and are sometimes not even real nevermind the lastest and safest LiFePO4

I might have to buy another one later

Hi there - I have the same Tracer battery (it is great!)...the Pegasus would work, or if you want a cheaper option, you can use a simple adapter like this one:

https://www.teleskop...1-USB-plug.html

It basically turns one cigarette lighter socket into three and adds a 5V USB socket too. It is highly probably not as reliable as a Pegasus, but I've used one like this for over a year now with no problems, except for the connectors themselves not being quite as secure I as would like, but for €13, double checking my connections before an imaging run is acceptable to me!

Only other thing I would add is that for my dew heater, I have a separate simple Li-ion battery dedicated to that purpose, as even the mighty 24Ah beast might run low if running the heater as well as all the kit.

Hope this helps.

#4 Michaeljhogan

Michaeljhogan

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 August 2019 - 11:27 AM

Hi there - I have the same Tracer battery (it is great!)...the Pegasus would work, or if you want a cheaper option, you can use a simple adapter like this one:

https://www.teleskop...1-USB-plug.html

It basically turns one cigarette lighter socket into three and adds a 5V USB socket too. It is highly probably not as reliable as a Pegasus, but I've used one like this for over a year now with no problems, except for the connectors themselves not being quite as secure I as would like, but for €13, double checking my connections before an imaging run is acceptable to me!

Only other thing I would add is that for my dew heater, I have a separate simple Li-ion battery dedicated to that purpose, as even the mighty 24Ah beast might run low if running the heater as well as all the kit.

Hope this helps.

Bro what does your 12v 24ah Tracer battery run altogether iOptron CEM25P mount which cooled ccd and Mini-PC: Minix N42-C

and how long are you getting

#5 eshy76

eshy76

Sputnik

• Loc: London, UK

Posted 29 August 2019 - 12:31 PM

Bro what does your 12v 24ah Tracer battery run altogether iOptron CEM25P mount which cooled ccd and Mini-PC: Minix N42-C
and how long are you getting

Sorry for the late reply - the Tracer is running the CEM25P, Minix mini PC, ASI1600 mono cam + filter wheel, Lakeside autofocuser, mini travel wifi router, ASI120MM guide cam. This runs all night at least - for eg two nights ago I ran all this and only one bar of power had been used after 6 hours.

The dew heater/controller can draw 3Ah at 12V, so after 6 hours that could be 6x3 = 18Ah out of the 24Ah of the battery just for that. My separate 12V/6Ah battery only focused on dew heating lasts for about 5-6 hours, which either means the dew draw is higher than I said above or the cheapo li-ion battery is not delivering what it's rated for...my money is on the latter.

Anyway, you can try to run dew as well for the Tracer...but it might limit your imaging time. I recommend another source of power.

Hope this helps.

#6 Phil Sherman

Phil Sherman

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Cleveland, Ohio

Posted 30 August 2019 - 09:43 PM

The dew heater/controller can draw 3Ah at 12V, so after 6 hours that could be 6x3 = 18Ah out of the 24Ah of the battery just for that. My separate 12V/6Ah battery only focused on dew heating lasts for about 5-6 hours, which either means the dew draw is higher than I said above or the cheapo li-ion battery is not delivering what it's rated for...my money is on the latter.

Your dew heater is rated to draw 3A at full power. If your 6ah battery runs the heater for 6 hours, then the dew heater is drawing an AVERAGE of 1a/hour. This is reasonable if you have a dew controller and is very  reasonable if your dew controller employs a feedback mechanism. to manage the heater's "on" time.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: EAA, equipment, observatory, astrophotography, ccd, mount, refractor

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics