•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

GRS activity this year & image comparisons...Aug. 10th animation etc. :)

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Voyager 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: "cooker-ta man" downunda...

Posted 20 August 2019 - 04:09 AM

Hi all, rather than reprise the thread at the bottom of this page with something tacked onto the end of it - which experience tells is rarely noticed anyway lol.gif - I thought I'd post this as a separate thread. wink.gif

With all the discussions & interest in the GRS activity I decided to check through all of our Jovian images for this year where the GRS figured quite prominently. (so far - there "might" be a couple more still to come!)

On a side note to this, paradoxically, in what has been the worst year as far as clouds & unfavorable wind conditions we have experienced the best outcomes for this particular planet as far as "hi-res" results are concerned. confused1.gif

I'll start by posting the link to our website page (Jupiter2019Pics) & direct anyone to the 3rd image down this page for the animation showing a 2 hour animation of Jove: https://momilika.net...ter2019Pics.htm      

I normally make reversing animations & often use WinJUPOS to orient them level...but CS4 just kept on spitting the dummy when I tried to save the gif animation of 52 frames - shutting down in a fit..! rofl2.gif

I can make them from other software but I first need to convert the 52 frame psd to tif to do this - but because the animation as a one-way job spans such a lot of the visible face I think it handles the abrupt end very nicely - & I deliberately left noise in to balance the poorer & better frames out a bit more...this also appears to look ok. wink.gif

There are all the images from 10th August as you scroll down the page I've linked to as well as the rest from this year - worth a sqizz imo if you aren't acquainted with all of them. wink.gif

A "super-sized" GRS from 10th also but the top 2 images on that page I'll post here as well - in separate posts due to their size...even then I had to drop their jpg quality slightly to fit under the 500kb limit, but I don't think that caused any real issues.

1200 pixel images which will definitely need to be clicked on wink.gif as will many of them on our webpage where they will open in another tab & can be clicked on again: I'll comment a bit more on this image in the 2nd post.

GRS-ComparisonUT16-51June12th&10-53August10th_2019.jpg

Edited by Kokatha man, 20 August 2019 - 05:36 AM.

• rustynpp, Rouzbeh, Kenny V. and 20 others like this

#2 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Voyager 1

• topic starter

Posted 20 August 2019 - 04:21 AM

I'll direct folks to the website link in the above post for the comments I make about the GRS' appearance etc this year - pretty circumspect I know, but this is how I've presented my take when sending images to ALPO-Japan & the BAA also...those who claim that there has been no dramatic reduction in the GRS over the last few months seeming to better fit what we've observed in all the very good images we have captured this apparition.

That isn't to say that there hasn't been dramatic activity in & around it - we've certainly benefited by seeing some of this in our own images..! But I'll leave the real deliberations to the pros personally. wink.gif

Here's my selection of our "GRS close-ups" this year...as I say on the website we have not re-scaled them to a uniform size but it is something I will do fairly soon - especially if this lousy weather continues! lol.gif

More likely I will make linear strip maps via WinJUPOS & include as many examples over the 4 months as I can...hopefully creating an interesting animation there as well. fingerscrossed.gif

Another 1200 pixel jpg "clicker." wink.gif

Jup-April-August-2019_GRSCompositeImages-FIN.jpg

• Rouzbeh, Kenny V., Mirzam and 18 others like this

#3 Foc

Foc

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: South Canberra

Posted 20 August 2019 - 04:22 AM

Very nice images, you have a great collection for 2019. I'm looking forward to next year when we have both a changing Jupiter and the ever different Mars.

Its probably come up before with your images but have you compared the GRS to quantitate any size changes?

#4 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Voyager 1

• topic starter

Posted 20 August 2019 - 04:31 AM

Foc - thank you...the first image examines that aspect for the April to August period but I have not attempted to go into our back-pages to examine the longer-term changes - that's something interesting but "Heck - how much time do you think I have on my hands...I do have other aspects to my life!" lol.gif

...for those averse to going to outside links (our website is as safe as houses! lol.gif ) I'll put a thumbnail version of the animation here as a hook. wink.gif

Remember this is all that the CN file-size limits will allow - so you will have to click on that link in Post #1 to see the proper animation..! smile.gif

Jup_094024_L_100819_Driz-ONE-WAY-LrgCnvss-nodelay@46%.gif

• Sunspot, Rouzbeh, Kenny V. and 10 others like this

#5 jeremiah2229

jeremiah2229

Apollo

• Loc: Illinois, USA N 37° W 89°

Posted 20 August 2019 - 05:16 AM

Getting a 404 on the link.  confused1.gif

Peace...

#6 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Voyager 1

• topic starter

Posted 20 August 2019 - 05:34 AM

Getting a 404 on the link.  confused1.gif

Peace...

Yes - I don't know why CN seems to be sticking :%C2%A0" onto the end of the address of:  https://momilika.net...ter2019Pics.htm   

If you remove %C2%AO from the "404" tab's address bar you'll see the proper address & can enable it to get to where I intended...but now it seems to be working in the link here in this post!  confused1.gif shocked.gif lol.gif 

Thanks also Andrew - we'd figured that but didn't know why it was adding that to the link...hopefully it'll work here now & I'll see if I can get it to work in Post #1...fingertap.gif looney.sml.gif

• havasman, jeremiah2229 and Tulloch like this

#7 RunningMan

RunningMan

Messenger

Posted 20 August 2019 - 06:41 AM

So cool! Amazing work, as usual.

#8 CPellier

CPellier

Apollo

• -----

Posted 20 August 2019 - 06:44 AM

Excellent work. It would be even more easy to compare with WinJupos mapping and LD compensation...

#9 Tulloch

Tulloch

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Melbourne, Australia

Posted 20 August 2019 - 07:20 AM

Wow, certainly an impressive record of the year's captures. It certainly appears that this year you have produced the highest "hi-res" images of any year, and at a time when Jupiter has been very active with almost weekly variations in the GRS region.

Thanks for continuing to take and process these images while at the same time providing advice and assistance to the rest of us (or at least me) paddling in the shallow end of pool, it's much appreciated.

It's five thumbs up from me waytogo.gif waytogo.gif waytogo.gif waytogo.gif waytogo.gif  lol.gif .

Andrew

#10 gfstallin

gfstallin

Viking 1

• Loc: Cheverly, Maryland USA

Posted 20 August 2019 - 08:18 AM

Darryl, 

Were you guys able to capture the GRS between Jun 25th and Jul 29th? According to your images, a change in the cloud pattern along the northern edge occurred at some point between then, as I am sure you've seen. I wonder just how fast that change occurred. 

This is really excellent stuff. 

George

#11 DMach

DMach

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: The most light-polluted country in the world :(

Posted 20 August 2019 - 11:21 AM

Very nice compilation Darryl! Thanks for preparing and sharing.  :)

#12 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Voyager 1

• topic starter

Posted 20 August 2019 - 08:21 PM

Thanks for the kind comments & "Likes" people - appreciated!

Yes, I'd decided that using WJ was the easiest & best approach...especially as while cobbling these GRS images together there were many discrepancies in the scales etc...if the poor weather continues it might be another "project" although I have a lot on my list besides AA atm! wink.gif

<"Were you guys able to capture the GRS between Jun 25th and Jul 29th? According to your images, a change in the cloud pattern along the northern edge occurred at some point between then, as I am sure you've seen. I wonder just how fast that change occurred.">

George, your question echoes some thoughts of mine when pulling the GRS data together - I didn't know whether my "collection" for 2019 was complete because at some stage we lost a 3Tb drive, opting for a replacement under warranty rather than open it up & try to save the data on it at the time. (& there was quite a lot on it...)

But I "think" this was slightly before the period you mention & at least with what we still retain there is only the July 15th & 16th captures in between: the 15th with the opposite side of Jove & the 16th a very poor night...one of the frequent times we set up initially with the ASI290MM only to regret it due to clouds etc.

I've looked at a couple of images from our 16th data & now after reading your comments I have started a repro of a few of them, where only some single channels are (barely) worthwhile.

The SEB jetstream (the dark brown feature) appears to have "closed up" in the period you refer to (someone termed the "opening" a "chimney" I recall although I'm not sure how appropriate that was) but the poor images from July 16th still appear to show this feature as "open" or "broken" there...so if this is the nub of your comments our records show this change occurred between 16th & 29th July.

I'm presuming you're referring to this but I might be out of whack re what you're saying/asking...I'd have to go & re-read some of the info about the activity & check others' images etc to acquaint myself with all the facts...but if I'm half on track (still early in the day for me! lol.gif ) I'll see what these images I'm repro-ing turn up for the 16th & maybe post them here - although they might more suite Kevin's "square challenge" stuff..! rofl2.gif

Incidentally, I was intending to do a mono series of GS images also when I put WJ maps together...

Apologies if I've misinterpreted entirely the thrust of your comments! smile.gif

#13 BKBrown

BKBrown

Skylab

• Loc: Central Virginia, USA

Posted 20 August 2019 - 08:48 PM

That is a fascinating series you have collected this year Darryl, lots of interesting GRS activity for the pros to unravel. It is hard to imagine the kind of energy being expended to open the "chimney" and push the local materials around...hurricanes and typhoons just don't compare.

I anticipate relocating soon and look forward to enjoying the next apparition, weather permitting storm.gif

Clear Skies,

Brian snoopy2.gif

#14 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Voyager 1

• topic starter

Posted 21 August 2019 - 08:07 PM

Thanks also Brian & all additional "Likers."

I just commented in aero's thread where he commented about mine & Pat's efforts to go out in all sorts of conditions - not really true 'cos we often pull the plug when forecasts are negative...& sometimes don't bother to process whole swags of data if 1 or 2 captures we deem the best look horrid with quick processings!

But George's comments in Post #10 has me processing the July 16th data which I never deleted...albeit that I gave it the cursory check before deciding to ignore it: anything worthwhile will really be the proverbial "silk purse from sow's ear" & I certainly won't post it here if it isn't..! lol.gif

I've gone back through a lot of this year's ALPO-Japan images but notwithstanding what's shown (or said) therein I thought I'd post a couple of links to put a bit of extra perspective on all the excitement & some of the hype concerning this year's activity etc: both very old now but I like this one because in some ways it has some relativity to AA images - not literally, far too detailed...but the GRS view itself etc has some (bare!) similarities to AA images & is an easy example showing how these jetstreams operate...a 19 year old Cassini animation from NASA/JPL Uni of Az: https://upload.wikim...n_animation.gif   

Once again the suffix %C2%A0 gets added to the link just as in my own website's - removing that in the address bar when you follow the link will take you to the correct site.....but after another "refresh/preview" both this link & the one below seem to work fine now!  looney.sml.gif lol.gif  

Also, from NASA/HST 3 images from 1995 to 2014 illustrating the shrinking of the GRS: https://en.wikipedia...ks-20140515.jpg   

This clearly demonstrates how the GRS is shrinking & I'm sure there are other much more recent images of both the link examples I've placed here...but as in other situations one has to be very circumspect about just how excited  people can get at times - although one of the upsides has been the extraordinary amount of attention that has been focused on said feature & its' surrounds, certainly increasing attention & general awareness amongst AA'ers!

Regardless, I feel vindicated in tempering any uber-rushes of excitement during the current apparition, although this year's events have certainly been very interesting: after I finish trying to drag something out of the July 16th data to see if that can fill somewhat our own personal gap in the GRS compendium above I'll start the WinJUPOS strip map compilation...so there could be more to come in another thread..! bigshock.gif blahblah.gif step.gif lol.gif

• jeremiah2229 and gfstallin like this

#15 HentySky

HentySky

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 21 August 2019 - 08:48 PM

That's a great series Darryl.  It is interesting the see the "spikes" develop, peaking around mid June then disappear.  Thanks for sharing.  Cheers Brett 

#16 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Voyager 1

• topic starter

Posted 22 August 2019 - 04:15 AM

Thanks Brett, & the "Likes" folks. smile.gif

Yes, those spikes are what we called "whiskers" Brett if we're on the same wavelength...despite anything (or everything!) there's certainly been some interesting features to capture this year!

After swinging a crowbar & shoveling clay for an hour or so this morning in my garden in preparation for Spring I decided to try & "make a silk purse from a sow's ear" so to speak: certainly not silk lol.gif but passable.

This was after George queried me here about when that so-called "chimney" closed - which I take in a poorly-educated guess as the W-E jetstream immediately above the dark brown E-W one interacting with said & dragging the material of that stream's colouration/composition back with it along its own W-E direction...along with the influence of the turbulent GRS wake as another factor... confused1.gif

My take is that the "open chimney" indicates that the ruddy brown material of the E-W stream occurs when all of the perceptible material of that hue is being collected up in the W-E stream...again possibly with the turbulent GRS wake's influence...but "hey" I'm mainly just a gardener these days...so please don't take all this too seriously..! rofl2.gif

Anyway, I did manage to pull something out of the July 16th crud which I had ignored at the time as useless - I doubt I would have posted it in other circumstances, although if it had been at the start of Jove's apparition I probably would've...but it does appear to confirm this "chimney" was "closed" by then, if we indulge in such terminology. wink.gif (ie, sometime after June 25th in my images...)

All this talk of chimneys has me wanting to light the fire...it's cool tonight! lol.gif

EDIT: Apologies - in the earlier post I did say I thought this night showed that "chimney" was still open, but on actually processing this image it looks like it is more or less "closed"...

j2019-07-16_15-10_rgb_dpm#2.png

Edited by Kokatha man, 22 August 2019 - 06:32 AM.

• Jeffrey C., eros312, Herr Mario and 2 others like this

#17 Rouzbeh

Rouzbeh

Messenger

• -----

Posted 24 August 2019 - 05:54 PM

I'll direct folks to the website link in the above post for the comments I make about the GRS' appearance etc this year - pretty circumspect I know, but this is how I've presented my take when sending images to ALPO-Japan & the BAA also...those who claim that there has been no dramatic reduction in the GRS over the last few months seeming to better fit what we've observed in all the very good images we have captured this apparition.

That isn't to say that there hasn't been dramatic activity in & around it - we've certainly benefited by seeing some of this in our own images..! But I'll leave the real deliberations to the pros personally. wink.gif

Here's my selection of our "GRS close-ups" this year...as I say on the website we have not re-scaled them to a uniform size but it is something I will do fairly soon - especially if this lousy weather continues! lol.gif

More likely I will make linear strip maps via WinJUPOS & include as many examples over the 4 months as I can...hopefully creating an interesting animation there as well. fingerscrossed.gif

Another 1200 pixel jpg "clicker." wink.gif

Jup-April-August-2019_GRSCompositeImages-FIN.jpg

Very nice work!
Always interesting to see these comparisons and details.

I wanted to make one too just been lazy and a bit busy.

#18 Rouzbeh

Rouzbeh

Messenger

• -----

Posted 24 August 2019 - 05:57 PM

Love the animation!

#19 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Voyager 1

• topic starter

Posted 24 August 2019 - 08:02 PM

Thanks Rouz & for "Likes" from other people also :) - the animation is now a reversing one...I'll post a new thread with it in it along with some South Polar maps I'm finishing off making today: marvelous how a son so intelligent can educate his Old Man about gifs simply by giving it a fleeting thought, then doing some speed reading on his phone about the intricacies of gif files to immediately rectify my ignorance! :rofl: 

• Kenny V. likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics