•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Which type of garage door opener and connecting to Dragonfly

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Varnius

Varnius

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 August 2019 - 04:18 AM

Hi guys! I'm constructing a 3m x 5m ROR obsy which I will be automating using Lunatico Dragonfly. I'm at a point where I need to buy a garage door opener (I'm thinking 3/4 HP Chamberlain or similar) and I'm wondering which type should I get - a belt or a chain one? If it's relevant at all, the temperatures in my location vary from -1x° in winter to +2x° in summer (Celsius).

Another question is about connecting the opener itself to Dragonfly. Looks simple enough with older openers with wired push button where you just use the relay in Dragonfly instead of the button but I have no idea how to handle more recent openers with wireless controllers.

Any help would be appreciated.

Edited by Varnius, 20 August 2019 - 08:17 AM.

#2 Hondo

Hondo

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: NB, Canada

Posted 20 August 2019 - 02:25 PM

Hello,

I use a DragonFly to control my roof with a 1/2 Hp chain drive garage door opener.  It works great in my 2m x 3m obsy.  Mine is the standard push button non wireless controller, you may not be able to use the DragonFly for control unless you bypass the security feature of the opener.  Best thing to do is e-mail Jaimie and ask him.  Temps here range from +35 in summer to -35 Celsius in winter.  Hope that helps and good luck with your build.

#3 Varnius

Varnius

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 August 2019 - 03:19 PM

Hello,

I use a DragonFly to control my roof with a 1/2 Hp chain drive garage door opener.  It works great in my 2m x 3m obsy.  Mine is the standard push button non wireless controller, you may not be able to use the DragonFly for control unless you bypass the security feature of the opener.  Best thing to do is e-mail Jaimie and ask him.  Temps here range from +35 in summer to -35 Celsius in winter.  Hope that helps and good luck with your build.

I wrote them and got automatic response about support being on vacation until September. smile.gif

Just found out that they also have some kind of support forum, though, so I'll try asking there.

Thanks.

Edited by Varnius, 20 August 2019 - 03:19 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics