•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

HP laptop is acting up!

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 elmiko

elmiko

Gemini

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Arizona

Posted 20 August 2019 - 07:38 AM

Last night I had my W 10 Pavilion laptop capturing photons. I use Eqmod, Astrotortilla, Phd2, Stellarium, and Stellarium scope, and Nebulosity 4 for aquisition. About an hour and a half into my session the background started to act strange.... You could see little circles of explosions! I know this sounds funny but it's the only way I know how to explain it. But when I tried to move the curser with the mouse, the curser was frozen on the left side of the the screen! This is the third time in the last few months that this has happened. What I have to do is a Control alt delete to sign out and then restart the laptop. 

It was still capturing the subs when this was going on. But I still need to have control over it.

Has anyone ever experienced this? Very, very strange??! Oh, by the way, I never have it online, only if I have to download a Astro software. I also have the updates turned off... I know you can't totally with Windows 10. It is strictly used for my aquisition.

Does any of you computer gurus know what is going on?

Thanks in advance for any information. Mike

#2 trurl

trurl

Voyager 1

• Loc: North Carolina

Posted 20 August 2019 - 07:42 AM

Google "ghost touch"

• elmiko likes this

#3 elmiko

elmiko

Gemini

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 August 2019 - 07:46 AM

Google "ghost touch"

Could you please elaborate?

#4 spacemunkee

spacemunkee

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Cincinnati, Ohio

Posted 20 August 2019 - 07:55 AM

I had the same thing on an old hp I had. Seemed to mostly do it when the screen brightness was up more, or plugged in charging. I gave up on trying to figure it out especially after the screen got mysteriously cracked. Teenage boy says "I dunno...."

Was very annoying. Became unusable. Wish you luck figuring out.
  • elmiko and PirateMike like this

#5 PirateMike

PirateMike

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: A Green Dot On A Blue Sea

Posted 20 August 2019 - 07:58 AM

You should... 

remove all non-essential programs and games... then...

clean out the computer. Clean out the cached files and the registry. I have been using the free CCleaner for years and it works great...

then do a virus scan...

then shutdown completely and start the computer again.

It could also be that your computer is starting to fail, so after doing the above, back up all your important files.

https://www.ccleaner...AhoCb1AQAvD_BwE

Miguel   8-)

#6 elmiko

elmiko

Gemini

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 August 2019 - 08:01 AM

So I did Google it. Says it is a power problem. But laptop wasn't mentioned it mentioned phones. Hi the laptop is a touch screen and I do use a cheap power converter for the laptop.. it brings the 12 volt power from my Pyramid inverter to the 18 volts required for the laptop. Hmmm... I think you have solved the problem! That 12 v to 18 v converter is a cheap one I bought on Amazon. It's a Pwrx brand. Thanks, trurl 

#7 elmiko

elmiko

Gemini

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 August 2019 - 08:07 AM

You should... 

remove all non-essential programs and games... then...

clean out the computer. Clean out the cached files and the registry. I have been using the free CCleaner for years and it works great...

then do a virus scan...

then shutdown completely and start the computer again.

It could also be that your computer is starting to fail, so after doing the above, back up all your important files.

https://www.ccleaner...AhoCb1AQAvD_BwE

Miguel   8-)

PirateMike, thanks for the reply. The computer is just over one year old and I cleared out a lot of unnecessary games and such when I bought it. I don't have any anti- virus software on it only the one that came with it. I think it is McAfee. But I never renewed it. Like I said though, the only time the WiFi is on is when I downloaded all of the aquisition software.

Thanks for the reply, Mike

Edited by elmiko, 20 August 2019 - 08:08 AM.

• PirateMike likes this

#8 spacemunkee

spacemunkee

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 20 August 2019 - 08:21 AM

Mine didn't really have anything on it except AP programs. Had kept cleaned up, virus scans were good. Was intermittent when on battery, but would go crazy and couldn't even try using it when plugged in charging. Was OEM power supply.

Got to the point it looked like someone was playing piano on the touch screen..
  • elmiko likes this

#9 elmiko

elmiko

Gemini

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 August 2019 - 08:22 AM

I had the same thing on an old hp I had. Seemed to mostly do it when the screen brightness was up more, or plugged in charging. I gave up on trying to figure it out especially after the screen got mysteriously cracked. Teenage boy says "I dunno...."

Was very annoying. Became unusable. Wish you luck figuring out.

Thanks for the reply, I keep the brightness all the way down, Astro friendly. I think maybe that trurl maybe correct about the " ghost touch". 

#10 spacemunkee

spacemunkee

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 20 August 2019 - 08:29 AM

Thanks for the reply, I keep the brightness all the way down, Astro friendly. I think maybe that trurl maybe correct about the " ghost touch".

Looks like that may be the solution. I had googled about everything except ghost touch and came up empty!

But oh well, didn't really matter after the "ghost" did my screen in... :)
  • elmiko likes this

#11 PirateMike

PirateMike

Mercury-Atlas

• -----

Posted 20 August 2019 - 08:32 AM

I remember reading that HP is having problems with their batteries lately. I think there is a recall.

Miguel   8-)

#12 elmiko

elmiko

Gemini

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 August 2019 - 08:33 AM

Funny, Matt. Oh, those teenagers!

Mike

#13 PirateMike

PirateMike

Mercury-Atlas

• -----

Posted 20 August 2019 - 08:36 AM

HP Recall... shocked.gif 

https://www.laptopma...ery-recall-2019

Miguel   8-)

• elmiko likes this

#14 elmiko

elmiko

Gemini

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 August 2019 - 08:50 AM

Thanks Miguel. Just read the link. My laptop is not on the list. Doesn't mean that it isn't a faulty battery though. It shows 100% charged when I have it plugged in.

Mike

Edited by elmiko, 20 August 2019 - 09:13 AM.

• PirateMike likes this

#15 elmiko

elmiko

Gemini

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 August 2019 - 09:04 AM

So I ended up following the instructions I found online on fixing ghost touch problem. I just disabled touch screen in device manager. Hopefully this is the fix. Thanks for everyone's help!

Clear skies, Mike

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics