•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Vixen LVW 17mm

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 bremms

bremms

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter
  • Loc: SC

Posted 20 August 2019 - 07:52 AM

Took my 4" Jaegers F15 to outreach about a week ago. Get everything set up and I didn't have my 2" to 1.25" adapter. Best I could do looking at planets was either my 36mm Baader Asp. Or a borrowed 28mm ES. I get home and start looking for the adapter ( usually kept in the diagonal). Well, it turns out I found a 17mm Vixen LVW  that I bought for a very good price on that internet auction site about ten months ago. Other than a brief test I hadn't used this EP. Got it for outreach since it's so easy to use. Tested it the other night with a C8, 4.25" F6 newt and a 5.5" F9.8 Mak. I really like this EP,  I didn't have a wide field in that range in a 1.25 barrel. It worked REALLY well in the 4.25" F6 Newtonian. Glad I found that eyepiece, it was tucked away in a odds and ends eyepiece case. It is a superb eyepiece and is now in my go to 1.25" case. Might pick up 22mm as well.

• SteveG, Lewis Cason, havasman and 1 other like this

#2 SeattleScott

SeattleScott

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 20 August 2019 - 08:21 AM

Have that one as well, they are excellent eyepieces, rivaling XW and Radian back in their day. Outstanding edge correction in fast scopes. You simply won’t find a wide field eyepiece with better edge correction. And the dual barrels are convenient. Orion Stratus and Baader Hyperion cloned them, right down to the same focal lengths. Obviously there are better choices if you don’t wear glasses and just want that 100 deg AFOV but these were top shelf long ER eyepieces in their day.

However Vixen never updated them, and they eventually lost out to Delos (wider AFOV) and Delite (similar price and AFOV but newer design, newer coatings, smaller, lighter).

Scott
  • 25585 likes this

#3 havasman

havasman

Cosmos

• ****-
  • Loc: Dallas, Texas

Posted 20 August 2019 - 08:39 AM

I have looked through a few LVW's and always thought they were really good. They're as comfortable and well made as anything I've used. Maybe you should go look again to see what other little gems you may have missed...  smile.gif

• 25585 likes this

#4 25585

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: In a valley, in the UK.

Posted 20 August 2019 - 09:35 AM

I have the whole LVW range. 8, 17 & 22mm are the best 1.25". 

17s have Delite 18.2 and Morpheus 17.5 as competitors, but the LVW holds its own well against those. Its been harder to see for sale than the 22mm.  

• SteveG likes this

#5 Mike G.

Mike G.

Apollo

• Loc: Oberlin, Ohio

Posted 20 August 2019 - 11:29 AM

the 22 LVW is a great EP.  I have a pair of them I use in my fl5.5 APM 100mm binos - they work fantastic at short fl and they are one of the most comfortable EPs I have.  I don't have a pair of the 17's but have the 22's, 13's and 8's.  LVW's still rock!

• 25585 likes this

#6 SeattleScott

SeattleScott

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 20 August 2019 - 11:42 AM

Absolutely. I haven’t felt the need to “upgrade” to Delite, Delos or Morpheus. If one is just starting their collection these others might be preferred (if for no other reason they are available new where the LVWS no longer are). But the LVWS are premium lenses that are very comfortable with great edge correction and enough eye relief for glasses.

Scott
  • 25585 likes this

#7 REC

REC

Voyager 1

• Loc: NC

Posted 20 August 2019 - 11:46 AM

Had one for a while and sold it to pay for something else....dummy. Should have kept it!

• 25585 likes this

#8 25585

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: In a valley, in the UK.

Posted 20 August 2019 - 05:02 PM

I have three 22mm LVWs, including a spare. Not much between them &  a pair of 18.2mm Delites for bino optically. The LVWs beat Pentax XL/W & Baader Hyperions in the 20mm+ class. Notional 20-something Delites might be new 60-something leaders, possibly.

The 17 LVW has less field curvature than Pentax 20 & Nikon SW 17.5 . But both the aforementioned, and Delite 18.2mm are brighter. YMMV.

#9 SteveG

SteveG

Cosmos

• Loc: Seattle, WA

Posted 21 August 2019 - 10:56 PM

There's some kind of magic voodoo thing going on with those LVW's. I bought my 22 last year, and it seems to eliminate the coma in my little f5 travel reflector. Easy to look through and sharp to the edge! Hang on to that 17.

• Lewis Cason and 25585 like this

#10 SeattleScott

SeattleScott

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 22 August 2019 - 01:27 AM

For kicks I took the Paracorr out of my friends F4.3 18” UC. The LVWs did just fine. Much better than the 31T5. I realize the Nagler was correcting a larger FOV, and it is more of a max FOV 2” eyepiece, so it wasn’t a fair fight. Not knocking the 31T5. But it was impressive how well the LVWs did. I can see why people put them in those little F4 Starblast scopes. Of course if you don’t need glasses you can go a lot wider these days. But if you do wear glasses, or you want to use your F4.7 Dob without a coma corrector, you might consider LVWs. If you can find them.

As for the light transmission, true the coating technology is a little older, and they have eight elements at 13mm and below, so they reportedly lag the latest greatest in transmission. But remember you are probably talking about something like 94% to maybe 97% for a Delite. I don’t know I would have to look. But there just isn’t much difference with modern eyepieces. The transmission is supposedly about the same as Morpheus. Honestly when I compared my 13lvw to a 13 Ethos, I didn’t notice a difference in brightness. I noticed a different presentation, and a much wider FOV, but otherwise the view was pretty much the same. Now when I compared my 8lvw to a 9T1, the lvw was clearly brighter, despite being higher magnification. So yes, coatings can make a real difference if you are talking about eyepieces that are decades old. But for modern eyepieces there just isn’t much difference. Sure I have heard of people counting stars in the FOV and determining the Delos or XW or whatever is brighter because they counted 205 stars compared to 198 with the lvw or whatever. But it isn’t anything that is going to make an obvious difference at the eyepiece. The real reason to get Delos or Morpheus is the significantly wider AFOV. That will be much more noticeable than the brighto. And possibly the presentation, if you prefer the presentation of a different eyepiece.

Scott
  • SteveG, Mike G. and 25585 like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics