•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

First real outing with my Goto Duplex 3.5

equipment
  • Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 life on mars

life on mars

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 August 2019 - 08:20 AM

I'm  newly registered on Cloudy Nights, although I have very much enjoyed this and other forums over the last couple of years. I'm also a fairly new Questar owner. Out here on Mars... well, in the Arabian desert, we can sometimes feel a bit astronomically isolated.

Last night was just fabulous and not even so hot... nicely cooled down from the daytime 45 degrees C. I took out my beautiful goto Questar Duplex for some planet viewing on Saturn and Jupiter. The views through the Brandons were fantastic, with entire Cassini division visible. The goto worked pretty well too... OK it is a mount on a mount and alignment would be easier with a cross haired eyepiece. But the tracking was perfect.

Could anyone recommend a reticle eyepiece that would work with a Questar... I believe Questar did actually make one but not sure if it still available.

Thanks to all and clear skies

Attached Thumbnails

• q3.5 tts2x.jpg
  • q3.5 tts3x.jpg
  • q3.5 tts8x.jpg

• Matt Looby, astro140, sgorton99 and 7 others like this

#2 Toxo144

Toxo144

Explorer 1

Posted 20 August 2019 - 11:54 AM

Life on Mars,

Keep the observing reports going!  Interesting mount you have there.

Questar still has their illuminated reticle available, but it is rather large, bulky and somewhat pricey.  I had one, and gave it away.  I much prefer the Meade Plossl 9 mm illuminated reticle.  It is a standard 1.25 eyepiece, can adjust the illuminated crosshairs in both x and y if needed, and has GREAT battery life/low power consumption.  It looks like you have the "modern" eyepiece adapter in your scope that can accept any type of eyepiece threaded or unthreaded so the Meade should work. And it gives rather high magnification so if you are checking polar alignment or trying to get the best accuracy possible on your RA setting circles this is a real plus.  It is not parfocal with the Brandons or the finder view, but for the limited purposes of an illuminated reticle who cares?

Best of luck with what ever choice you make, and stay cool out there in the desert!

Cheers and Clears,

Toxo

#3 Spacefreak1974

Spacefreak1974

Skylab

• Loc: Indianapolis, IN

Posted 20 August 2019 - 01:04 PM

I always thought they could partner with Losmandy to make something goto that the mount and all would fit into

#4 life on mars

life on mars

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 August 2019 - 01:08 PM

Thanks for the advice on reticles. For the mount, Niels from Track The Stars made me a Q-adapter for my TTS Panther 160 mount. It sort of looks a bit like a   big brother to the Questar tristand. The TTS mount is a superb piece of kit and usually has my FSQ85 on top. The diameter of the TTS pier is virtually a perfect match for the Questar anyway :)

• ehallspqr likes this

#5 life on mars

life on mars

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 August 2019 - 01:10 PM

Most of the time I just use the Questar as it is on a table top... I just love this scope... always readuy to use and superb optics.

• terraclarke and RMay like this

#6 BillHarris

BillHarris

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: northwest Alabama

Posted 20 August 2019 - 01:57 PM

Toxo-- I use a 12mm Meade reticle eyepiece. This old eyepiece used a separate battery box, but I got a modern battery/LED attachment OPT that fit perfectly. I use my reticle EP with photography so I can center an object in the main eyepiece and have it centered in the small-chip CCD camera on the Axial port.

#7 ehallspqr

ehallspqr

Messenger

• Loc: Port Townsend, WA. USA

Posted 20 August 2019 - 10:20 PM

Nice setup. Had not seen this mount before but your Q3.5 Duplex looks perfect on it. Combining Questar’s excellent optics on a goto Mount is a pair made in heaven.

#8 spereira

spereira

Apollo

• Moderators
  • Loc: Bedford, NH

Posted 21 August 2019 - 06:50 AM

Last night was just fabulous and not even so hot... nicely cooled down from the daytime 45 degrees C. I took out my beautiful goto Questar Duplex for some planet viewing on Saturn and Jupiter. The views through the Brandons were fantastic, with entire Cassini division visible. The goto worked pretty well too... OK it is a mount on a mount and alignment would be easier with a cross haired eyepiece. But the tracking was perfect.

OK, I'm very curious - what mount is that? 
I've never seen one of those before (not that I've seen everything, by any stretch).

Thanks!

smp

#9 bobhen

bobhen

Gemini

Posted 21 August 2019 - 07:12 AM

OK, I'm very curious - what mount is that? 
I've never seen one of those before (not that I've seen everything, by any stretch).

Thanks!

smp

HERE is a link.

Bob

#10 spereira

spereira

Apollo

• Moderators
  • Loc: Bedford, NH

Posted 21 August 2019 - 10:07 AM

HERE is a link.

Bob

WOW!  That is one fantastic piece of equipment.  Thanks very much for the link!

smp

• TerryWood likes this

#11 Matt Looby

Matt Looby

Apollo

• Loc: Lake Champlain Valley

Posted 21 August 2019 - 10:42 AM

The GOTO looks to be a very solid mount- very nice.  Would you consider using the Q setting circle in lieu of the computer?

Edited by Matt Looby, 21 August 2019 - 10:42 AM.

#12 life on mars

life on mars

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 August 2019 - 11:55 AM

I think it is a great mount. I upgraded to the TTS Panther from a standard EQ mount for my small Tak FSQ85. It's very solid and just so nice to use... and as an alt-az mount: no more polar aligning makes it very quick to get going. Niels from TTS is very helpful. I have the camera rotator also which fits on top of the saddle. This rotates the whole telescope and guide scope together for long exposures. The controls are very intuitive. As Niels says all the modern very large telescopes use alt-az mounts and camera rotators... 

As for the Q setting circles, I'm just not used to using them. I'm still getting the feel for the setup. I don't think I would have bought the TTS Panther just to hold the Questar, but since I got it for my other scopes, I wanted  to try it with the Questar, and it seems to work well... and look great!

• Matt Looby and TerryWood like this

#13 Matt Looby

Matt Looby

Apollo

• Loc: Lake Champlain Valley

Posted 21 August 2019 - 11:44 PM

Good Luck!

#14 starblue

starblue

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Austin, TX, USA

Posted 22 August 2019 - 07:25 PM

Talk about ultimate luxury! A Questar on top of a TTS Panther mount!

A couple years ago I was *this close* to getting the Panther when it was on sale, even exchanged a few emails with Neils, but it looks like a mount for a big refractor and I have none, I never considered putting a Questar on it since I have mounts for both of mine, and figured a GEM would be a simpler proposition for eventually delving into AP than the rOTAtor, so I let it pass. I still daydream about it, though--it strikes me as the ultimate alt-az mount for visual.

#15 Optics Patent

Optics Patent

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Dallas TX

Posted 22 August 2019 - 07:38 PM

That looks appropriately matched to a Q7 Astro, at about half the cost of the barrel assembly.  That rotator for astrophotography made me realize I forgot that the field rotates with a pure alt-az.

With computers, modern motors, and encoders, alt-az seems like an appropriate modern solution that needn't be terribly expensive.  But for manual control with good slow motion knobs like a Questar, Equatorial is nice. 

#16 JamesMStephens

JamesMStephens

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Hattiesburg, Mississippi

Posted 22 August 2019 - 08:28 PM

Why not detach the Questar telescope and mount it directly on the Panther?

#17 life on mars

life on mars

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 August 2019 - 07:40 AM

That would certainly be an option that I haven't tried yet. It's just so simple to sit the Questar whole on the Panther. Haha, it maintains the purity of the Questar experience too (I guess I'm still quite new to Q ownership and love seeing the whole thing). It's also so easy to use this way. 

As for alt-az, I was out in the desert last night  (not with the Questar this time!) ... such a quick setup. I didn't even look for Polaris until later in the evening. Just quickly assemble the Panther, add my Tak and do a quick 2 star alignment. I would find it difficult to go back to an Equatorial mount, even though there are some wonderful systems out there.

• JamesMStephens likes this

#18 JamesMStephens

JamesMStephens

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Hattiesburg, Mississippi

Posted 24 August 2019 - 08:45 AM

That would certainly be an option that I haven't tried yet. It's just so simple to sit the Questar whole on the Panther. Haha, it maintains the purity of the Questar experience too (I guess I'm still quite new to Q ownership and love seeing the whole thing). It's also so easy to use this way. 

I figured you just liked the way it looked attaching the scope plus mounting base to the heavy duty Panther!

#19 Gleason

Gleason

Vostok 1

• Loc: SF Bay Area

Posted 28 August 2019 - 08:52 AM

Love the Panther 160 and the Questar. I was thinking that a Duplex would be great on one of the smaller, lower cost alt az mounts from iOptron or Skywatcher. 

#20 Kevin Barker

Kevin Barker

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Auckland, NZ

Posted 28 August 2019 - 01:49 PM

I agree.

I have used my Duplex on my Star Discovery mount just as an ota. The finder is handy for alignment.

My Skywatcher Star Discovery mount handles my Intes 603 although this is at its useful limit.

I reckon this mount would work well as a Goto with a Q5.as an ota only

• JamesMStephens likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: equipment

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics