•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Issues with 9.25 evo

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#26 Sterling1703

Sterling1703

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Nashville, Tennessee

Posted 26 August 2019 - 01:46 PM

I am also using a 9.25" evo. I sometimes have problems seeing detail in Jupiter and Saturn, but this mostly has to do with seeing conditions. When seeing is good I see colors and detail much better. Even though you are close to the observatory its still possible atmospheric conditions are different, it has to do with not only general weather conditions but also atmospheric stability which can be better on a mountain top than the slope below for example. It might be a better test to look at some deep sky objects like m13 or Andromeda, to have a better comparison that is not so complicated by possible variation in seeing conditions. My observatory is in the western mountains so atmospheric instability, winds, etc. is often a problem, but it seems to have much less effect on DSO's. I find that I get really nice planetary views at lower magnifications, generally with a 22-28mm eyepiece; but sometimes I can use a 11 or 14. When I use my mount in a flat area, relatively close to our public observatory it compares fairly well to the huge scopes there, in terms of basic detail, again suggesting seeing limitations in both places, but in this case in a very consistent manner.

Palaback
The next time I’m out I’m going to try and find more DSOs. I’ve tried that a couple times but my alignments are always just a hair off when I use the GOTO. I’ve tried aligning on multiple objects and it doesn’t get much better. This is something that I haven’t researched yet because I’m trying to tackle one issue at a time. One of my first nights out I got to Orion’s Nebula. That was pretty good.

Thank you
David

#27 BGazing

BGazing

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Belgrade, Serbia

Posted 26 August 2019 - 02:12 PM

Palaback
The next time I’m out I’m going to try and find more DSOs. I’ve tried that a couple times but my alignments are always just a hair off when I use the GOTO. I’ve tried aligning on multiple objects and it doesn’t get much better. This is something that I haven’t researched yet because I’m trying to tackle one issue at a time. One of my first nights out I got to Orion’s Nebula. That was pretty good.

Thank you
David

You are at 36 deg N, so Jupiter and Saturn are 6-8 degrees higher for you than for me at the two locations I observe at.

I could see Cassini even with 70mm on a night of decent seeing. So you should be, too.

With C8, I make sure to bring it to ambient temperature, and I started using ADC to beat atmospheric dispersion on planets (top blue bottom red), but you have them higher and what you are describing is not that.

Try NOT setting up your tube before sunset, it will pick up heat. Bring OTA the last. Set up over grass, not concrete. Do not watch over structures that radiate. Prepare for bad seeing immediately after sunset in the summer due to massive heat exchange.

Your scope is most likely fine. You do not need dark skies to enjoy planets, the Moon and the doubles.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics