•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Alachua astronomers club

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Greengrassmanfl

Greengrassmanfl

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Gainesville, FL

Posted 20 August 2019 - 12:27 PM

I’ve been looking for local clubs to expand my knowledge, and the AAC is the most local, but the website has very little on it aside from upcoming events which seem to be auto generated. Are there any members here that are willing to help me out in learning more info on it? I don’t want to sign up and pay for a club that has gone defunct since the last posts on the site.

https://www.alachuaastronomyclub.org

• kellyvictoria likes this

#2 photoracer18

photoracer18

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Posted 20 August 2019 - 01:53 PM

Since the last images are this month I don't think you need to worry. On that note really busy clubs that do a lot of outreach, star-parties, and other outings often don't keep anything up to date except the calendar. Plus all the clubs I know require you to attend a meeting to join. One I know takes a hiatus from meetings during the summer vacation period but still does outings.

For me a club that keeps its website right up to date is one that doesn't spend enough time under the stars.smile.gif

• ShaulaB likes this

#3 SDTopensied

SDTopensied

Viking 1

• Loc: Atlanta

Posted 20 August 2019 - 02:10 PM

The Charlie Elliott Chapter of the AAC is quite a bit more active than the main club.  A good group of observers and imagers.

Meetings are near Covington at Charlie Elliott Wildlife Management Area once a month, with observing on Jon Wood Astronomy Field following the meeting if the weather permits.  A typical meeting includes a presentation by a working astronomer or a PhD candidate from one of the local universities and attendance is anywhere from 20 to 45 depending on the weather.  If the weather is nice, you can expect up to 75 people on Jon Wood Astronomy Field after the meeting with 20 or 30 telescopes set up for observing and imaging.

www.ceastronomy.org

Facebook Page:

https://www.facebook...ps/ceastronomy/

-Steve

#4 ShaulaB

ShaulaB

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Missouri

Posted 20 August 2019 - 02:21 PM

Did you visit the "Contact us" page and fill out the form so you can communicate with a real person?

I agree with the previous commenters about what a busy club does. Also, remember these club websites are run by volunteers who might be working full time with kids to raise and other commitments. It is really hard to find volunteers who will put in the time, and who are computer savvy enough to manage a website.

If they have a Facebook page, there might be more information like you want. It is easier to post things to Facebook than it is to update or modify a website. Lots of clubs depend on their FB presence for communication between members.

I have belonged to three astro clubs near me. None of them required membership for people to attend meetings.

#5 kellyvictoria

kellyvictoria

Ranger 4

Posted 20 August 2019 - 03:08 PM

I belong to Alachua Astronomy... I have pm'd the OP... 

Alachua is very very active, the best in Central Florida.

Super knowledgeable people who will help you. Affiliated with the College Of Central Florida as a courtesy to the club. 

Speakers every month who teach Physics and Astronomy at the college. Not to mention the frequent monthly observing opportunities and welcoming dark site Observatories. The web site is up to date. The membership fee is not mandatory, it does not have to be paid up-front and is only about $20. depending on your age to be a participating member.  

I remember when I was a real beginner. I questioned everything and everyone. I can't say why I did that, but I did. ... It is a journey that includes a steep learning curve. But I can't think of a better way to learn than to be with people who know more. And they will let you look thru their scopes... all size Dobs, Taks, everything including imaging …    

We welcome you... and hope you attend some of our observing opportunities.

vk

Edited by kellyvictoria, 20 August 2019 - 04:58 PM.

• Greengrassmanfl likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics