•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Beginner - and considering becoming an Ender....

accessories beginner equipment moon observing refractor
  • Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#26 ChancesFate

ChancesFate

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Hobbs nm

Posted 24 August 2019 - 07:23 PM

All the smart people have spoken so I will just let them handle the hard questions.   When I first started this hobby I came in head hanging down saying I’ll never see anything.   I was trying to see Saturn but couldn’t resolve it at all it looked like a star.   I moved my cheap scope to the front yard and tried again and behold there she was in all her glory.  I was looking at those beautiful rings.   Scratched head wondering what did I do different.   Hmmm first time I was looking at a star when I moved to the front I didn’t have to look over a tree.  So I was looking in the wrong spot.  Practice a lot.   Don’t always wait for a perfect night, those are far and few between for most of us.   Make friends with the moon when it is out we tend to overlook it or hate it for spoiling our darkness.   Be cautious getting advice from where you buy things unless it’s one of the big companies.   These boards are a wonderful resource.   Good luck.

#27 tony_spina

tony_spina

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: So. Cal.

Posted 24 August 2019 - 10:02 PM

It's in the OP's first thread, looks to be a generic inexpensive prism, like an unmarked Celestron

.https://www.cloudyni...p/#entry9555478

I didn't see the picture in that thread but I looked at another thread in which she posted 5 pictures.   The diagonal looks really low end. Looks to be all plastic.  These type of diagonals will degrade the view.  

You don't need to spend a lot, but I recommend getting something better

Here is an example from Ebay.   I have a couple and are all metal

https://www.ebay.com...redirect=mobile

#28 Mike W.

Mike W.

Vanguard

• Loc: Washington State

Posted 24 August 2019 - 10:49 PM

yeah, I linked the wrong thread, but no matter, I was thinking maybe a GSO or Orion Dielectric mirror.

#29 tony_spina

tony_spina

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: So. Cal.

Posted 24 August 2019 - 11:52 PM

yes I agree Mike. 

#30 Mike W.

Mike W.

Vanguard

• Loc: Washington State

Posted 25 August 2019 - 08:57 AM

Also the eye relief thing, plossl's aren't really known for their eye relief.

I read an article a short time ago about the southern night skies, I think we got the hand me down half of the universe to view here,,,,,,,,

Stare cluster's with literally no dust or pollution to dull the view,,,,,,,,,, that 120 and Televue Nagler 7 T6 or 5.T6,

Then TV UHC and go Nebula hunting,,,,,,,,,,

Something like that could take almost a lifetime,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

I mean really, all you need is money shocked.gif

Edited by Mike W., 25 August 2019 - 08:59 AM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: accessories, beginner, equipment, moon, observing, refractor

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics