•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Jupiter transits NGC 6235 August 26

observing report planet
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Tom Dugan

Tom Dugan

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Tidewater Maryland

Posted 20 August 2019 - 08:00 PM

Over the next week or so, Jupiter will transit (more or less) the loose globular NGC 6235. Right now there is lightning and rain outside, but Stellarium tells me they're about 17 arcmin apart, closing to about 1.5 arcmin on the 26th.

Anyway, this is a heads up for the coming week, and a place to add observing reports as opportunity allows. We have a public night with our local library scheduled for the 26th, so more foul weather is guaranteed. Sorry about that.

• REC, Francopoli, Sam M and 1 other like this

#2 Redbetter

Redbetter

Cosmos

• Loc: Central Valley, CA

Posted 21 August 2019 - 05:43 PM

This is a tough globular to see in the same field while also seeing Jupiter.  This is the second pass on this one as I viewed it before in the same field the first time it swung by to the south.  The loose structure made it to where it was more of case of looking at the globular while Jupiter was in peripheral vision.  Better seeing or transparency might help somewhat.

#3 Tom Dugan

Tom Dugan

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Tidewater Maryland

Posted 26 August 2019 - 07:12 PM

Well, true to form we have a solid layer of clouds tonight. Won't be any observing from here in Southern Maryland.

Enjoy if you can!

#4 corax

corax

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Davis, CA

Posted 26 August 2019 - 10:27 PM

Ah, the wonders of apparent retrograde motion...

I checked it out in SkySafari, and this is actually the 3rd time this year there was a close approach! Today appears to be an actual occultation. Last month they were about 5' apart (I looked, but Jupiter was WAY too bright). The first pass was on January 16th, just before sunrise, with ~15' separation.

#5 phillip

phillip

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Sterling, Illinois

Posted 28 August 2019 - 06:26 PM

Probably won't catch it in my 8" Dob tonite, weather permitting.

Is an early shadow transit and GRS Great Red Spot right after 8PM midwest time. See how quickly

Things pop in view with some of the evening twilight, shadow rolls off early. Tweaked my dob and

Even out of the trunk in shade for Thermal ready.

See what Happens!

ETX90, 4SE

XT8I, XT10 Dobs

Pentax 7mm ready plus 170x look!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: observing report, planet

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics