•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

ES 127 ED APO + Moonlite focuser questions

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 mrpmark

mrpmark

Lift Off

• topic starter
  • Loc: Michigan

Posted 21 August 2019 - 06:53 PM

For those that have an Explore Scientific 127 ED APO and have switched from the stock 2" focuser to the Moonlite 2.5" focuser (just the normal focuser without stepper motor) how much weight did it add to the scope?

Someone like myself that just does visual, would the shaft lock option be of any use?

#2 jp071848

jp071848

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 22 August 2019 - 06:25 AM

For those that have an Explore Scientific 127 ED APO and have switched from the stock 2" focuser to the Moonlite 2.5" focuser (just the normal focuser without stepper motor) how much weight did it add to the scope?

Someone like myself that just does visual, would the shaft lock option be of any use?

As luck would have it, I'm in the process of fitting my new Moonlite CFL to my original model ES127. My OTA was bought not long after they came out, and is the type where both the focuser and the lens cell thread onto the male threaded OTA. That being said, I can't say whether my old focuser is identical to yours, but the design and weight  should be comparable

As you can imagine, the CFL is quite a bit heavier than the little focuser it replaces. The one thing I can't measure for you is the weight of the Moonlite ES127 to CFL adapter flange, as I had to install it semi-permanently (long story) and can't remove it to weigh it. I would guesstimate, though, that the original Explore adapter flange and the new Moonlite to ES127 adapter flanges are somewhat comparable in weight. Remember that Ron ships a 1.75" flange extender with the ES127 CFLs, and that also adds some heft.

Weights are as follows (no eyepiece adapters, Ron supplies a 1.25 as well as a 2" thread in eyepiece adapter with the 2.5" CFL as well as the extender, and the 1.25" adapter is quite heavy):

OLD ES127 focuser + adapter flange 44.9 Oz.

OLD ES127 focuser (body and drawtube) only 26.6 Oz

NEW CFL focuser only, body and drawtube, no flange and no extender 54.7 Oz

NEW CFL focuser with flange extender, no flange  71.0 Oz

Again, I can't tell you what the Moonlite adapter flange weighs, but I would SWAG it to be about the same as the ES version, so maybe 15 Oz?

As to the shaft lock, it certainly does work, and I ordered it because it only added a few extra dollars. I haven't finished the installation yet, so I can't tell you how well it handles load, but the CFL is a beast and I have no doubt given the load adjustability, it will easily handle heavy loads like my big Naglers, Powermates, DSLRs etc.

Hope this helps...

#3 droe

droe

Viking 1

• Loc: Fenton, Mi

Posted 23 August 2019 - 09:27 PM

I have the carbon fiber version of the scope and the stepper motor version of the focuser but the biggest change when adding the focuser was the added weight help balance the scope. Before I added it the scope was very objective lens heavy; now it seems balanced when I carry it.

• Dynan likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics