•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Who makes the best 90mm SCT?

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#51 2696

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 01 September 2019 - 02:11 PM

To which Orion are you referring? Most of their 90mm mak packages have the same red dot as the Celestrons, albeit just rebadged. This is actually a preferable finder for these scopes since you're generally going to be observing singular targets like planets, the moon, double stars etc. I have a 6x30 RACI finder on my mak, but that's because I use it for terrestrial viewing as well. Magnified finders are actually more difficult to use for astronomy because you can't just point at a naked eye object and home in on it in the eyepiece. You have to actually find it in the eyepiece of the finder and this can be time consuming because there's no way to "rough aim" the scope short of guessing. As you can imagine, guessing with high magnification is far from accurate so unless you have a sixth sense for manually aiming telescopes, I'd probably go the laser finder route. I generally swap out the RACI for my Celestron star pointer pro when observing the sky with my mak. Whatever you end up getting, I would stay with some sort of laser finder for astronomical use, though an upgrade from the stock red dot is recommended. Anything with a multi reticle such as a telrad or star pointer pro is going to be good.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

I was actually talking about the 102mm Orion Apex, it has a decent looking finder. But you are right, I'm aware that red dot finders are very quick and easy to use, I was just looking for the most value I could get out of a scope, that's all. I already have a red dot finder I could throw on it if I ever desire to.

#52 Bowlerhat

Bowlerhat

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Melbourne, Australia

Posted 01 September 2019 - 04:05 PM

I ditched my red dot and opted for a 6x30 RACI instead, saves my neck from looking at objects near zenith. Huge plus too for the rotation, so I can set it up almost like binos, while leaving my head still enough room to glance side to side.

On lightweight tripod with ballhead, I love this setup.

On another note ed ting's review shows that ETX90 has better optics than synta's but nowadays..don't they manufacture in china too?

although to note the ETX has upright mounted eyepiece socket and much dimmer image somehow.

Edited by Bowlerhat, 01 September 2019 - 05:05 PM.

• BFaucett likes this

#53 Bataleon

Bataleon

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 01 September 2019 - 04:29 PM

I ditched my red dot and opted for a 6x30 RACL instead, saves my neck from looking at objects near zenith. Huge plus too for the rotation, so I can set it up almost like binos, while leaving my head still enough room to glance side to side.
On lightweight tripod with ballhead, I love this setup.

On another note ed ting's review shows that ETX90 has better optics than synta's but nowadays..don't they manufacture in china too?

although to note the ETX has tupright mounted eyepiece socket and much dimmer image somehow.

Almost identical to my Mak setup.

I think if nothing else red dots are easier for alignment since you generally slew horizontally. (I usually align to Altair, Jupiter and Antares). Once you have that dialed in, yeah the RACI is preferable for high angle viewing. 2d17c228f911cd3abdf9a66b93d17e26.jpg

• Gary Z likes this

#54 Bowlerhat

Bowlerhat

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Melbourne, Australia

Posted 01 September 2019 - 05:11 PM

Almost identical to my Mak setup.

I think if nothing else red dots are easier for alignment since you generally slew horizontally. (I usually align to Altair, Jupiter and Antares). Once you have that dialed in, yeah the RACI is preferable for high angle viewing. 

I think red dots are fine if the objects are not too high, it's even easier to use, but it's a pain when you slew upwards. With this, I can rotate the angle upright, center it to a lower object while lowering my tripod pier. After I align it I can just extend my pier and use it straight away for zenith.

I missed not needing to collimate my finder everytime I use it, but I think I love my neck more waytogo.gif 

#55 Bataleon

Bataleon

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 01 September 2019 - 05:24 PM

I think red dots are fine if the objects are not too high, it's even easier to use, but it's a pain when you slew upwards. With this, I can rotate the angle upright, center it to a lower object while lowering my tripod pier. After I align it I can just extend my pier and use it straight away for zenith.

I missed not needing to collimate my finder everytime I use it, but I think I love my neck more waytogo.gif

They both have their pros and cons. That's why I have both on my SCT and an Orion quick release foot on my Mak.

• Bowlerhat likes this

#56 Gary Z

Gary Z

Apollo

• Loc: New Mexico

Posted 04 September 2019 - 11:20 AM

Tell you what.  I recently was able to observe thru a 127mm Maksutov.  This particular one is a Meade from the Starnavigator NG Mount.  Well, I have to say, I love this little scope.  I recommend it and I believe the Skywatcher version is probably better.  I do apologize as you did specify 90mm, but I've only looked through the 127mm model.  As shaulaB indicated, there is a difference between the SCTs and Maks.  I have an 8 inch SCT, but now I'm looking for the 127mm Mak used....which so far, can't find any.  

Take care,

Gary

Update:  I was able to find a Skywatcher Skymax 127mm Maksutov and gave it a good trial run this past week and especially on Saturday.  Did some imaging on Saturn, just to see what it was like.  Pretty good in spite of bad seeing and this far out from its opposition.  Then later, I was viewing the Double Cluster....oh my....great view!  These Mak scopes are a great value for what you get!

Gary

• Jaimo!, eros312, Joe1950 and 2 others like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics